• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All I Really Need To Know I Learned From A Comic Book...

47 posts in this topic

Speaking from somebody who has an eight year old, Yu-Gi-Oh is the hottest thing on the planet. BUT he's also into Spider-Man and X-Men and Teen Titans and Justice League, all from the cartoons. The mistake both Marvel and DC are making is not trying to grab this demographic. Cheap comics, one and done stories, the same sort of manga-ish artwork that the cartoons have, all of that would be good. I don't think collecting comics is alien to my son and his friends. I think the industry isn't trying to reach them.

I agree FD. My nieces have exactly the same interests as your 8yr, old daughter... and it is a shame that Marvel and DC haven't attempted to do more to reach out to them. However, in the day and age of digital tv services, it has become possible for programming to provide interative television concepts. An idea would be to produce superhero cartoons with alternate endings, and have the kids choose from one of the 3 endings from their ppv converter. Once they choose an ending, the only option they have to see what the other endings may have been like is to buy a cheaply produced comic based on that specific program they finished watching. Inserting an eye-grabbing card in the comic, which can be used in a strategy game, wouldn't hurt either. At this point, they need to experiment a little, and even if they keep these kinds of publications limited to sample and guage interest, its a start.

I am taking my daughter Julia who is 13, to her first comic con this Saturday. She sez she want to go. I'll give you a field report.

My 14 year old daughter (when she was 13) showed an interest in a Marvel Masterworks I was reading. It was X-Men 1-10. After I was done reading it I let her read it. She loved it, and couldn't wait to read the next one. She plowed through the next two SA X-Men Masterworks.

When she was done I gave her the Masterworks with X-Men GS1 and 94-100. I told her that she would like these "new" stories even more then the others. When she was done with that one she wasn't interested in reading any more "new" X-Men stories. She said "they are to serious". She liked the Stan Lee "campy, fun" stories better then the "grown up" Claremont stories. foreheadslap.gif

Since then the only comics she's read are all the Buffy and Angel TPB (got them all for her for X-Mas last year).

I'm not sure what my point is, but thought I'd share my experience with "todays kids" and comics.

Since then the only comics she's read are all the Buffy and Angel TPB (got them all for her for X-Mas last year).

I'm not sure what my point is, but thought I'd share my experience with "todays kids" and comics.

I know exactly what your point is.. even if it was not intentional.

They need to figure out what comics young girls might want to read.. and keep making more of them.

Glad your girl got a taste of the S.A.

Just a question. I have not read any of the Buffy, Angel stufff.

Is it more violent then what is on T.V.?

Or a carbon copy of the show?

Just a question. I have not read any of the Buffy, Angel stufff.

Is it more violent then what is on T.V.?

Or a carbon copy of the show?

I haven't read any of them, not my cup of tea. grin.gif I'll ask my daughter and let you know.

I think one thing to take from what you said is that very little of what is on the comic book racks today will appeal to kids. Comic book reading/ collecting has become almost an exclusively adult pursuit and publishers are doing nothing to change that. In the long run this approach will literally leave them with a dead end market.

I think one thing to take from what you said is that very little of what is on the comic book racks today will appeal to kids. Comic book reading/ collecting has become almost an exclusively adult pursuit and publishers are doing nothing to change that. In the long run this approach will literally leave them with a dead end market.

The new "Marvel Age" series are a good start, but they need to cut the cover price in half if they want kids to be able to afford them!!! foreheadslap.gif