• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I the only one...

62 posts in this topic

that gets sickened everytime I see a LCS dealer variant cover with a huge price tag on it?

sign-rantpost.gif

I didn't know if this B.S. bothers others here as well, but it drives me nuts.

Do any of you guys collect these types of variant covers?

I know that these are like a cherry on top for the LCS in order to make money, but dang it sure

would be nice if these didn't have such a high mark-up right after it's release.

I wish that the LCS's would do something cool - by unstead of selling the book - draw a name out of the hat so that the customers that come to the store are rewarded and not feel juiced for a brand new book.

I mean don't get me wrong I don't collect LCS variant covers and probibally never will.

It is just the princpal of seeing a book that was just released on the wall of a LCS

with a $100 tag on it just because of the fact that it is a undreproduced cover for a LCS used to rake in cash.

Kind of makes me wonder if these books will keep their value down the road or just crumble to the waste side like so many modern investments did in the crash of '94.

I personally think it would be hillarious if I saw hundreds of Ultimate Spidey #1's with the variant white cover in CGC 10.0 on eBay that couldn't sell for their cover price.

Maybe that would be the wake-up call that modern collectors of the day would need. grin.gif

I don't worry about it, as what goes around, comes around.

Just like in the 90's, all these lame LCS owners hyping up the expensive variants will be the ones paying when the market collapses.

I think you shouldn't worry so much about how certain people make a living,...how do you make your money?...maybe we should examine your profession and see if it offends anyone on the boards.....

Do any of you guys collect these types of variant covers?

No. But i have this one:

saec0001.jpg

Silke #1 Album exclusive edition (Album is the biggest comics shop in France).

Grade: NM

About 3000 copies i think, and this one is for sale at a huge price of course insane.gif !

PM me if any interest... grin.gif

I think you shouldn't worry so much about how certain people make a living,...how do you make your money?...maybe we should examine your profession and see if it offends anyone on the boards.....

So I assume you are a LCS dealer?

Do you have any remorse for slaping such ridicaulous prices on a brand new book that usually sells to a new collector that doesn't know any better?

And in my profession of being a Designer there are plenty of times I could of taken my clients of a ride, but I rose above such with honesty and integrity.

I just don't see the honesty in a charging out the wazzoo for a new book.

I like LCS that help the trade with stuff like Free Comics Day for kids to keep them reading.

My personal opinion is that there's somthing tainted about these variant LCS covers that paint

the LCS's as greedy - and that's sad because most of the people that I know that are in the LCS business are in it because they love the profession.

Oh well, I wasn't expecting all to agree with me. I just love this hobby and I feel this could be an item that could end up hurting it overall down the road.

tonofbricks.gif

Do you have any remorse for slaping such ridicaulous prices on a brand new book that usually sells to a new collector that doesn't know any better?

And in my profession of being a Designer there are plenty of times I could of taken my clients of a ride, but I rose above such with honesty and integrity.

I like LCS that help the trade with stuff like Free Comics Day for kids to keep them reading.

My personal opinion is that there's somthing tainted about these variant LCS covers that paint

the LCS's as greedy - and that's sad because most of the people that I know that are in the LCS business are in it because they love the profession.

Oh well, I wasn't expecting all to agree with me. I just love this hobby and I feel this could be an item that could end up hurting it overall down the road.

tonofbricks.gif

I guess you didnt read my earlier post about who this hobby is based on lying, cheating, and general badness...."Gee, some LCS are real jerks and try and rip you off"...ONLY SOME? I think that you are not doing that bad if it is only some...

Oh I agree with you that a huge portion of the LCS are dirty scumbags. That is why when you find one you like you should give every single comic cent that you have to that LCS and only that LCS. Spending money is bad shops only rewards being a jerk and punishes the good LCS...that is all...

Astonishing X-men #1 LCS group variant...

$100 bucks - and sad to say - they were selling hand over fist!!

well of course...people see the possible upside to reselling it for a nice profit. It's all good. Don't stress it. Hey if I could get my hands on a few RRPs, they would be slabbed and on ebay so fast it would make your head spin. Then with the nice profits, I would purchase some nice silver age material. Hey if the LCS can get those suckers to pony up a c-note, more power to em! thumbsup2.gif

well of course...people see the possible upside to reselling it for a nice profit. It's all good. Don't stress it. Hey if I could get my hands on a few RRPs, they would be slabbed and on ebay so fast it would make your head spin. Then with the nice profits, I would purchase some nice silver age material. Hey if the LCS can get those suckers to pony up a c-note, more power to em! thumbsup2.gif

What's wrong with them charging $100 for the Astonishing X-Men variant? Seriously now. They had to lay out a ton of cash to get it (it was based on orders), and the marketplace is setting the price. If you don't believe its worth that, don't buy it. Or better yet, buy this one. thumbsup2.gif

What's wrong with them charging $100 for the Astonishing X-Men variant? Seriously now. They had to lay out a ton of cash to get it (it was based on orders), and the marketplace is setting the price. If you don't believe its worth that, don't buy it. Or better yet, buy this one. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif that a boy!

tonofbricks.gif

I guess you didnt read my earlier post about who this hobby is based on lying, cheating, and general badness...."Gee, some LCS are real jerks and try and rip you off"...ONLY SOME? I think that you are not doing that bad if it is only some...

Oh I agree with you that a huge portion of the LCS are dirty scumbags. That is why when you find one you like you should give every single comic cent that you have to that LCS and only that LCS. Spending money is bad shops only rewards being a jerk and punishes the good LCS...that is all...

I'm hip.

I just cruised into a shop while I was on business in a different town and when I saw that...

I walked right out.

I have 2 LCS's that are good to me. There is one right down the street that is owned by a sweet old lady (it's more of a used book store that sells a good seleection of Moderns) She sold me an Amz 129 VF for $65 dollars about 8 months ago, I gave her $75 ($10 as a tip) because it was obvious she didn't know what she was selling. Also she has all of her variants on the same racks as the others with it selling at cover price like it should... sweet old lady.

My other one is a 45 minute ride and when i got the time this is where a good portion of my money goes to. He has the right idea about the business... I questioned him about some of the books he had for sale just at cover price when the there was high back issue demand for them...

and his reply was "I've been in this business for 35 years see a lot of LCS's come and go...

I'm in the business to SELL comic books heck if I thought I could be a millionare of off keeping all of them I would, but no I just sell them and people remember when they get a good deal and are treated right". He also gives me about a 25% discount on all the back issues I buy and MAN does this guy have some sweet Silver Age!! And to top it off he is a Die Hard Ric Flair fan!!

(To be the man you got to beat the man - Nature Boy Whoooooooooooooo!!!) thumbsup2.gifgrin.gif

It is just the princpal of seeing a book that was just released on the wall of a LCS with a $100 tag on it just because of the fact that it is a undreproduced cover for a LCS used to rake in cash.

The LCS raking in the cash? Who's raking in the cash with Astonishing X-Men #1Cassady variant (the $100 issue)...Marvel Entertainment Group is. For your LCS to get 1 copy of that issue they had to spend roughly $68 depending on their discount with diamond.

Also she has all of her variants on the same racks as the others with it selling at cover price like it should... sweet old lady.

If you would like to explain how I could sell my $68 cost Cassady variant's at cover price, without going out of business, I would be more than happy to review your business model. Feel free to use the Del'Otto variant. To receive that variant retailers had to beat their orders for Ultimate F.F. #1 (which Wizard chose as the hot book of 2004 I believe) What it comes down to is an obscene amount of Astonishing X-Men #1's sitting in a back issue box gathering dust (read as losing money for the LCS)

Let's focus on the real money-maker here, Marvel Entertainment Group, and leave the average joe retailer out of it.

CRC

tonofbricks.gif

No I'm not a LCS owner,...but I don't see a difference between selling an X-man #94 for over 2g's on E-bay, than selling a variant /rrp for whatever price it gets,....theses are collectables.....let me repeat that COLLECTABLES....and in a collectable market the item will sell for the price that the public demands...the LCS owner isn't doing anything shady or dishonest by selling these items at a premium,...they are not forged or mis-represented in any way.....no one is holding a gun to these peoples head...tyhey are fully aware of what they are doing,...so lighten up Francis, and get over it.

tonofbricks.gif

so lighten up Francis, and get over it.

Whatever BUCKO!!

It ithis same type of gimmicky horseslop that brung the profession down on it's knees in '94

with 45 variants of a cover, 2,000 number one issues coming out every week and more holographic foil than you can shake a stick at.

I'm not trying to raise a stink, I just don't want to aide an impending crash and when I go

to a flea market and see a rusty old 4 for a dollar bin that has beanie babies and 90's foil comics together it helps to keep my sights in check. grin.gif

tonofbricks.gif

so lighten up Francis, and get over it.

Whatever BUCKO!!

It ithis same type of gimmicky horseslop that brung the profession down on it's knees in '94

with 45 variants of a cover, 2,000 number one issues coming out every week and more holographic foil than you can shake a stick at.

I'm not trying to raise a stink, I just don't want to aide an impending crash and when I go

to a flea market and see a rusty old 4 for a dollar bin that has beanie babies and 90's foil comics together it helps to keep my sights in check. grin.gif

Then don't buy them.

My other one is a 45 minute ride and when i got the time this is where a good portion of my money goes to. He has the right idea about the business... I questioned him about some of the books he had for sale just at cover price when the there was high back issue demand for them...

and his reply was "I've been in this business for 35 years see a lot of LCS's come and go...

I'm in the business to SELL comic books heck if I thought I could be a millionare of off keeping all of them I would, but no I just sell them and people remember when they get a good deal and are treated right". He also gives me about a 25% discount on all the back issues I buy and MAN does this guy have some sweet Silver Age!! And to top it off he is a Die Hard Ric Flair fan!!

(To be the man you got to beat the man - Nature Boy Whoooooooooooooo!!!) thumbsup2.gifgrin.gif

Which store is this?

Charging outrageous prices for the new/hot book has been going on for years...and as history has shown, the books usually come down to earth within a year. However, it's a little silly to blame the LCS for asking market prices for these kinds of books as 1) they're trying to make a living; and 2) people are buying them!!

I would agree Nerf that it is a shame the way the market is deciding to go with variants, and special covers.

But they all wanna make money..and as long as what they make sells for the most part, why would they stop?

As others here stated.. the LCS owners are not the ones making the money on this.. comic copanies are.

If the LCS owner decides to mark up the comic that much more , and it still sells, then that is just good biz.

Last time I checked all LCS owners need to make money.

The variants are an incentive for LCS owners who order more comics.. so in a sense they are taking a risk from the get go to buy the variants.

And the variants are currently in demand.. so therfore also at a premium.. supply and demand rules apply here.

Do you really expect them to pass along the vairants at cost?

Cmon..

While virtuous, and honorable.. it is a rare day that would ever happen.

Unless the LCS own had a raffle where you had to buy tickets... etc.

or every comic bought.. gave you a token to be perhaps drawn for the variant.

And still those are both money makers for the LCS.

Unless everyone as a whole stopped buying these, this will more then likely continue.

Not as bad as in 94' hopefully

And it is not really that bad of a business idea .. sells more comics to LCS if the LCS wants to get the variants.

, and some comic fans like to think they have something others dont..

This gives them an outlet to scratch that itch.

Cant blame Marvel for giving fans what they seem to like, or fiding a way to move more comics.

What's wrong with them charging $100 for the Astonishing X-Men variant? Seriously now. They had to lay out a ton of cash to get it (it was based on orders), and the marketplace is setting the price.

Um, 'Nut, these guys actually DID get the other books they ordered, right? They didn't have to pay a premium on the 40 book they had to buy to get it did they? They didn't have to shell out additional money once they bought their 40 books did they? This book was an incentive to buy (and hopefully sell) more x-books.

So Mr. LCS owner buys 40 books for $1.50 each and is out $60. He sells these 40 books for $2.50 each -- now he's up $40. Then he tacks on an additional $75 for his incentive book -- he's now up $115. That turns the profit from $1.00 per book on the sale of 40 to $2.80 per book on the sale of 41. Talk about an incentive.

The LCS' essentially got these books for free. If they sold just what they bought (the 40 books) they would still have a $40 profit. This is the same cut they are getting on all of the other books they buy any other month. Now greed kicks in (not that there's anything wrong with that) and they stick it to some fanboy for $75 for something they got for free. That's the way it works. We shouldn't try to white-wash it and call it anything other than what it is -- capitalism! thumbsup2.gif