• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I the only one...

62 posts in this topic

Sure, but you also have to look at who can control the hype-machine and get the "investment wave" going at high speeds? Sure, buyers are for buying this trash, but they're not running full-page ads, buying Wizard space, or advertising these on the web or in a LCS.

Comic companies and larger dealers bear the brunt of the responsibility in the area of hype, and its eventual outcome.

I agree that they start it, but it's up to the individual whether they buy into that hype (along with the hype done by all 5 million other companies out there who are trying to get everyone to believe that their brand of deodorant, TV, vacuum cleaner, detergent, car speaker, etc. is the best, is the best investment, and has to be bought/owned TODAY) or not. I know the analogy isn't perfect (comics that could potentially rise in value vs. store-bought items that won't), but we're constantly bombarded with hype (for some reason, car dealership commericals also come to mind).

They wouldn't sink the money into hype/advertising it if it didn't work and if it weren't a money-maker for them. The people who buy the stuff are as much in control of the hype machine, because they buy the items that reinforce the company's notion that it's an effective marketing/revenue tool (and as long as people continue to buy it, it is effective).

I agree that the whole thing is ridiculous, but I can't control what other people do, whether it's the company or the individuals who buy them. It's easy to get caught up in hype and speculation. I just give pop culture a big "meh", for the most part.

I agree that they start it, but it's up to the individual whether they buy into that hype (along with the hype done by all 5 million other companies out there who are trying to get everyone to believe that their brand of deodorant, TV, vacuum cleaner, detergent, car speaker, etc. is the best, is the best investment, and has to be bought/owned TODAY) or not. I know the analogy isn't perfect (comics that could potentially rise in value vs. store-bought items that won't).

You're right, and the analogy is totally off.

A better one would be to compare high-end comics to any form of investment vehicle. I don't know if you realize this or not, but there are rigorous standards for anyone promoting or selling investments, and harsh penalties for those who cross the line.

Class action lawsuits for erroneous financial reports, heavy fines and civil suits for brokers who do not properly advise their clients, and even jail time for things like insider trading or other violations, are all par for the course these days.

But an "Investment Collectibles" business can play funny with the numbers, outright lie concerning future investment potential, and never once adhere to a single regulation of standard investments, all because "hobbies" like these are unregulated and apparently above the law.

Now you can laugh all you want about comparing stocks to comics, but I'm sure many of the "investment consortiums" who each poured millions into the "hobby" in the 1990's certainly aren't laughing. foreheadslap.gif