• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Modern Marvel Reader

481 posts in this topic

Since I'm reading the New DC I thought I might as well give the modern Marvel titles a go as well.

The Avengers: 13-24, Annual 1

A lot of these issues cross-over into the Fear Itself event which I have yet to read, so they don’t quite have the impact that they should, even though you learn about the ‘deaths’ of two major Marvel characters. Still, we have the return of the Vision, Storm joins the team and the Avengers getting their backsides kicked by Norman Osborn and his new band of cronies. A good read all round.

New Avengers: 11-22, Annual 1

Some Avengers from 1959, some more Fear Itself stuff, Squirrel girl goes nuts, Daredevil with a big mother mucker machine gun and the new Dark Avengers. A lot of enjoyable issues.

Secret Avengers: 12-22

Some more Fear Itself, a number of one-off issues looking at individual Avengers and some science fiction based Warren Ellis stories that don’t really work for me. Not even some pretty art can stop this from being the weakest of the Avengers titles but with Rick Remender taking over the writing and Captain Britain joining the team things may improve. I'll add to this as I go through the books.

Avengers Academy: 12-27

Possibly my favourite Marvel book at the moment. The best Fear Itself tie-ins, some new members, the old West Coast Avengers headquarters, Magneto, X-23, Dire Wraiths, Tigra in her bikini (meowww) and even a time travel story that works. Issue #27 where they meet the Runaways ( not the 70’s girl group) is pure genius.

Avengers 1959: 1-5

Some terrible art but a decent story of Marvel’s previous unwritten past.

Captain America – Man Out of Time: 1-5

A trip through Cap’s history, which would have been more poignant if we didn’t know that Bucky actually survived that plane blowing up in 1945. And the art is terrible.

Captain America – Reborn: 1-5 & Who Will Wear the Shield

A trip through Cap’s history, a glimpse into his future and then he comes back to life.

I think the only one of those that I read was Cap: Reborn... that series was the beginning of my eventual decision to stop reading Cap at all...

Sure would like to see that DD issue tho... I hate that he joined the Avengers as I really really don't want to be involved in all that stuff, but I just may have to search those out...

I am actually not reading a lot of marvel these days I suggest Tbolts though that book is always fun :)

Did you know that Tbolts is becoming Dark Avengers? Not relaunching, just a title change.

Possibly my favourite Marvel book at the moment. The best Fear Itself tie-ins, some new members, the old West Coast Avengers headquarters, Magneto, X-23, Dire Wraiths, Tigra in her bikini (meowww) and even a time travel story that works. Issue #27 where they meet the Runaways ( not the 70’s girl group) is pure genius.

Read Daredevil. It's the best current Marvel, IMHO. :gossip:

Read Daredevil. It's the best current Marvel, IMHO. :gossip:

Miles Morales as the 'Ultimate Spiderman is a flippin awesome comic. It is actuall the only Marvel title I'm reading at this point.

I'll be reading all the Marvel titles, just working my way through them alphabetically.

Reading the whole of Fear Itself at the moment, including all of the crossovers, which I'll get round to reviewing later. I have to say that it has surprised me so far by being pretty good.

I'll be reading all the Marvel titles, just working my way through them alphabetically.

Reading the whole of Fear Itself at the moment, including all of the crossovers, which I'll get round to reviewing later. I have to say that it has surprised me so far by being pretty good.

Ack! Fear Itself was my last Marvel crossover... Every time I finished an issue I was so angry at myself for wasting my money... and knowing that I was going to waste even more money to finish the series. Maybe just as bad as Infestation 2... :(

try the PunisherMax series if you haven't done so.

This, however, is something I can get behind... really enjoyed this series from beginning to end.

+1

This series was some of the best Punisher writing in the last few years. Certainly up there with Ennis's early run (Welcome back Frank).

The new Punisher series is also well worth a read.

IMO, the best books Marvel is producing at the moment are Daredevil, Uncanny X-Force and Secret Avengers.

Cap has gone off the boil in recent months. It may be Davis' art I'm not loving but I just can't maintain my interest in this book.

Ack! Fear Itself was my last Marvel crossover... Every time I finished an issue I was so angry at myself for wasting my money... and knowing that I was going to waste even more money to finish the series. Maybe just as bad as Infestation 2... :(

This, however, is something I can get behind... really enjoyed this series from beginning to end.

I've enjoyed the majority of it - luckily I'm not paying for it otherwise I would understand why you were frustrated so much.

Fear Itself: I don’t normally like big event crossovers and I never read all of the issues apart from the main series but somebody sent me a chronological reading list for this so I thought I would give it a go and I’m glad I did. This is a big earth shaking event that actually does feel like a Big Event, and not a damp squib like Secret Invasion or Civil War. Most of the issues that I’ve read have been very good, with the stand outs being the Home Front, which has some excellent art with the superior writing, Thunderbolts, JIM & the Iron Man issues. The only really poor issues have been Deadpool, which is shockingly bad.

Book of the Skull #1

Sins Past #1

Fear Itself #1

Invincible Iron Man #503

Fear Itself Spiderman #1

Fear Itself Home Front #1

Journey Into Mystery #622

The Worthy

Fear Itself #2

Thunderbolts #158 & #159

Fear Itself Home Front #2

Invincible Iron Man #504 & #505

Fear Itself Deadpool #1

Youth in Revolt #1

Herc #3

Fear Itself Wolverine #1 & #2

Secret Avengers #13

Iron Man 2 #5 & #6

Journey Into Mystery #623

Fear Itself #3

Herc #4

Fear Itself FF

Alpha Flight #1

Youth in Revolt #2

Avengers Academy #15-#18

Ghost Rider #1

Secret Avengers #14

Avengers #13

Hulk #37

Avengers #14

New Avengers #14

Fear Itself Wolverine #3

New Avengers #15 & #16

Hulk #38

Avengers #15

Ghost Rider #2-#4

Thunderbolts #160

Iron Man 2 #7

Journey Into Mystery #624

Fear Itself Fearsome Four #1-#4

Thunderbolts #161 & #162

Fear Itself Home Front #3

Heroes for Hire #9-#11

Fear Itself Home Front #4

Fear Itself Spiderman #2 & #3

Black Panther Man Without Fear: #521-#523

Fear Itself Deadpool #2 & #3

Fear Itself Uncanny X-Force #1

Youth in Revolt #3 - #6

Fear Itself #4

Uncanny X-Men #540 & #541

Fear Itself Uncanny X-Force #2 & #3

Alpha Flight #2 & #3

Avengers #16

New Mutants #29-#31

Uncanny X-Men #542 & #543

New Mutants #32

Avengers #17

Alpha Flight #4

Fear Itself Home Front #5 & #6

Herc #5 & #6

Fear Itself #5

Fear Itself Black Widow

Invincible Iron Man #506 & #507

Fear Itself The Deep #1-#4

Throne of Blood #1

Fear Itself Hulk vs Dracula #1-#3

Journey Into Mystery #625-#627

Fear Itself Monkey King

Avengers Academy #19

Invincible Iron Man #508

Fear Itself #6

Journey Into Mystery #628

Secret Avengers #15

Fear Itself Home Front #7

Journey Into Mystery #629

Invincible Iron Man #509

Fear Itself #7

Avengers Academy #20

Journey Into Mystery #630

Mighty Thor #7

Captain America #7.1

Thor #7.2

Iron Man #7.3

The one thing I found with Fear Itself compared to other 'big events' that I've read in the past is how important it is to read some of the cross-over issues and not just the main series to fully understand the story. I read 123 issues, and I haven't read Fear Itself Fearless yet.