• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Modern Marvel Reader

481 posts in this topic

Fearless is a brilliant follow up

Yes, I've heard good things about it and am looking forward to reading it soon.

Having to trawl through some awful DC mush first.

My biggest pet peave with moderns is the big cross over events every year. Just an excuse to suck money out of loyal customers. That is one of the biggest reasons why I stopped reading most moderns.

My biggest pet peave with moderns is the big cross over events every year. Just an excuse to suck money out of loyal customers. That is one of the biggest reasons why I stopped reading most moderns.

I just skip the x-over events and continue to buy the titles I regularly buy.

good lord, look at that list of books to read to know what is going on in this "event". it is criminal. even putting them together out of the 50 cents box would be mind numbing.

good lord, look at that list of books to read to know what is going on in this "event". it is criminal. even putting them together out of the 50 cents box would be mind numbing.

+1 ... Man alive. That's a short box's worth right there.

I've just been plucking out the titles I collect/follow (you know, the ones I will actually get a chance to catch up on the last 15 or so years when I have some lengthy period of medical incapacity) for Fear (as I did with Civil War, Invasion and every other cross-over event of the century), so your Hulks, Iron Man, Spidey, etc., the ancillary titles not so much, so, of course, if I ever do try to read it I will only have 30% of the issues and not have a clue.

I know they think they're making money and this is a way to get sales of third tier titles, but it is such a turn off to so many people.

I've just been plucking out the titles I collect/follow (you know, the ones I will actually get a chance to catch up on the last 15 or so years when I have some lengthy period of medical incapacity) for Fear (as I did with Civil War, Invasion and every other cross-over event of the century), so your Hulks, Iron Man, Spidey, etc., the ancillary titles not so much, so, of course, if I ever do try to read it I will only have 30% of the issues and not have a clue.

I know they think they're making money and this is a way to get sales of third tier titles, but it is such a turn off to so many people.

+1

I'm not sure if you have to buy every issue that is connected to the main 'event' to fully appreciate it but from the standpoint of the Marvel or DC universe then big events would surely have to have some king of resonance in every title. I always hated reading issues that never mentioned or referenced the big story lines that were currently happening in other titles.

Captain America: 1-9

A really terrible story by Stan Lee in #1 and then Ed Brubaker takes over the writing reigns again to give us his version of Inception and more re-writing of Marvel’s past in a timely fashion. The Serpent Squad, the return of Jack Kirby’s Madbomb and Alan Davis’ art make for an interesting run of issues.

Captain America: 30-50, 600-619 & Captain America & Bucky: 620-627

More Ed Brubaker, this time with the secret origin/history of Bucky Barnes, an atmospheric vampire story drawn by the great Gene Colan, the 50’s Captain America, some backup stories of the new Nomad which I nearly ignored but glad I didn’t as they are really good and then the trial of Bucky Barnes for his crimes as the Winter Soldier. A whole run of issues that prove, once again, just how good a writer Brubaker is.

Black Panther: #513-#529

Daredevil has gone from Hell’s Kitchen and a powerless Panther has replaced him. Since I’ve yet to read Shadowland or Doom War I don’t know the reasons why these two things have happened. I do know that anybody married to Storm who decides to spend time away from her and living on the mean streets of America instead is obviously screwy. Seriously, it’s nice to see a modern comic book deal with important social issues and not just concentrate on the fancy fighting by the people in fancy pants. Shame that the series has ended.

Fear Itself The Fearless: #1-#12

A disappointing and pointless add on to the main event. Hopefully I will never have to read a comic that includes Crossbones and Sin again for a very, very long time.

Daredevil: 1-10.1

I’ve always had a curious love hate relationship with DD as his stories have fluctuated between the great and the ridiculous – Mike Murdoch anybody? – but this new run by Mark Waid is great, fantastic storytelling with great art. Highly recommended.

Fantastic Four: #600-#605

FF: #01-#16

At times both grandiose and pompous, epic and over-blown Hickman has managed to put Marvel’s First Family back where they belong at the apotheosis of galactic space and time blockbusters. The return of Johnny Storm was handled much better than I expected and actually made sense.

Daredevil: 1-10.1

I’ve always had a curious love hate relationship with DD as his stories have fluctuated between the great and the ridiculous – Mike Murdoch anybody? – but this new run by Mark Waid is great, fantastic storytelling with great art. Highly recommended.

Been tempted with this series as it has been getting good reviews. Is this available in HC/TB yet?