• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Modern Marvel Reader

481 posts in this topic

Daredevil: 1-10.1

I’ve always had a curious love hate relationship with DD as his stories have fluctuated between the great and the ridiculous – Mike Murdoch anybody? – but this new run by Mark Waid is great, fantastic storytelling with great art. Highly recommended.

Been tempted with this series as it has been getting good reviews. Is this available in HC/TB yet?

Not sure but it is a fantastic read.

Ghost Rider: #0.1-#8

A female Rider, plenty of humour and lots of musical references - probably the best run of Ghost Rider books I've read since 1978.

iggy.png

Hulk #1-#50

Red Hulk, Blue Hulk, Compound Hulk, the Impossible Man, the Defenders, Rick Jones as the krappy A-Bomb, a She-Hulk, a Savage She-Hulk, Planet Red Hulk, a new MODOK, Secret Avengers, regular Avengers, Machine Man, ancient humans eating alien babies, the Eternals and a haunted Rulk.

For the first 20+ issues this was a terrible, terrible book based upon a terrible, terrible idea - take a bow Jeph Loeb.

Thankfully Jeff Parker has turned the title into an interesting and enjoyable read.

Continuing my way through modern Marvel titles:

Incredible Hulk: 600-635 & 1-7

The Hulk's son, his daughter and his wife - all get to play in the Gamma playground. Eventually the Hulk & Banner split in two (incredible), Banner turns into Dr Moreau (by George), Banner dies (possibly) and irradiated monkey poop is flung around (shoot!).

Iron Man: #500-#516

Dr Octopus and the Sinister Six, Pepper Potts with super powers (who knew?), Fear Itself, Tony Stark gets an Asgardian midget as a sidekick and they go to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, a drunk Iron Man, a war in China, the Mandarin, the Chinese Avengers, War Machine, machinations and spy stuff – and all of it an excellent read.

Iron Man 2: #1-#12

War Machine gets his own book – and a very good book it is.

Moon Knight: #1-#12

I think this may have been canceled, which is a shame as it has been a great read and a vast improvement upon the last MK book. There are still competing voices in MK’s head but now they wear familiar super hero costumes and influence our hero to be like them. From Ultron’s severed head to Count Nefaria doing a Terminator in a police station, via the death of an Avenger, this is a howling good book.

Namor the First Mutant: #1-#11

From Ultron’s severed head to Dracula’s severed head. And underwatrer vampires. Some timely stories from Namor’s past, Subby in Hell with Dr Doom and Namor’s future son. Plus some assorted X-Men.

Namor the First Mutant Annual #1

Steve Rogers Super Soldier #1

Uncanny X-Men Annual #1

Some pointless fighting in the Negative Zone with the ugliest art I’ve seen in a while in the Namor annual.

The Punisher: #1-#11

I've never understood why the Punisher was so popular but this latest series is a pretty good read, only straying from the edge with the unnecessary involvement of Daredevil and Spidey in a couple of issues. The introduction of a trainee female Punisher is also a neat plot line.

Hulk #1-#50

Red Hulk, Blue Hulk, Compound Hulk, the Impossible Man, the Defenders, Rick Jones as the krappy A-Bomb, a She-Hulk, a Savage She-Hulk, Planet Red Hulk, a new MODOK, Secret Avengers, regular Avengers, Machine Man, ancient humans eating alien babies, the Eternals and a haunted Rulk.

For the first 20+ issues this was a terrible, terrible book based upon a terrible, terrible idea - take a bow Jeph Loeb.

Thankfully Jeff Parker has turned the title into an interesting and enjoyable read.

I did think it was funny when Red Hulk punched the Watcher.

Scarlet Spider: #1-#7

I expected little from a book about a Spider-man clone but was pleasantly surprised to read how engaging this title is.

Six Guns: #1-#5

A modern day western set in the Marvel super-hero universe. Bullet ridden and swept through with clichés. Some nice covers though.

Battle Scars: #1-#6

One of Marvel’s oldest characters has a secret that ties into the modern Marvel universe, the Ultimate Marvel universe and the movie Marvel universe. Nicely done.

The Mighty Thor: #1-#16, Annual

Some not-so-great art, that annoying font Marvel use as an excuse for Asgardian speak the Silver Surfer, Galactus sits on the moon, the child Loki gets to stare at a naked Sif – ultimately a disappointing run from Matt Fraction.

Thor the Mighty Avenger: #1-#8

A retelling of Thor’s early SA days with some nice art. Cpt Britain makes an appearance and Jane Foster sings along to a Sex Pistols song.

Astonishing Thor: #1-#5

Some beautiful art as Thor meanders in space with some of Marvel’s cosmic non-entities.

JIM: #622-#640

Loki gets to be mischievous in his own book at last.

Venom: #1-#20

Flash Thompson invalided out of the army after losing his legs somehow becomes the new Venom and juggles a career as a secret symbiotic agent and having a life with Betty Brant. The lame old Spidey villain the Human Fly gets a horrific modern update via David Cronenberg, some terrible nonsense with Mephisto & Ghost Rider.