• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

**FINAL FINAL DROP!** STERANKO oddities STERANKO rarities STERANKO

43 posts in this topic

SOLD! Thank you! Someone is going to stumble on this thread late and wish they had a shot at these. Very difficult to put a nice set like this together. PM sent.

Congrats to the buyer and seller, I was looking at them for an hour, trying to figure out where I could put them if I bought them :foryou:

Thanks... something tells me that you already have a few longboxes ;)

SOLD! Thank you! Someone is going to stumble on this thread late and wish they had a shot at these. Very difficult to put a nice set like this together. PM sent.

Congrats to the buyer and seller, I was looking at them for an hour, trying to figure out where I could put them if I bought them :foryou:

Thanks... something tells me that you already have a few longboxes ;)

NO! No more Longboxes! :acclaim:

(but don't ask about the short ones;) :shy:

This is the mother lode of Steranko paperback covers.... Here are 19 of the 23 Steranko-covered Shadow paperbacks published between 1974 and 1978, all with Steranko design and original paintings and feature some of the best work that Steranko ever did.

Set includes #1-3, 5-15, 18-19 and 21-23. The best covers done in the run, in my opinion, are covers #22 and 23, which are included in the set and are in great condition. Set is only missing #4, 16, 17, and 20.

All the books are in similar condition with a tiny bit of edge wear, maybe a rubbed corner, a little bit of color loss, and a few copies have dates written on copyright page. Otherwise, this is a beautiful set and it's very difficult to put one together of this quality with similar attributes. Most of these books appear to be unread. Please let me know if you have any questions.

All 19 books for $170

#1-3, 5-10 front

IMG_4056.jpg

#1-3, 5-10 back

IMG_4058.jpg

#11-15, 18-19, 21-23 front

IMG_4059.jpg

#11-15, 18-19, 21-23 back

IMG_4060.jpg

:takeit:

Damn.

All 19 books for $170

#1-3, 5-10 front

IMG_4056.jpg

#11-15, 18-19, 21-23 front

IMG_4059.jpg

That's me.

Guest Grails
CHANDLER: RED TIDE by Jim Steranko, 127 pages, FULL SIZE 8.5 x 11"

Pyramid Books 1976

This is the classic, magnum-opus work by Jim Steranko, CHANDLER : RED TIDE that was published in 1976 which was written, pencilled, inked and colored by Jim Steranko. Considered groundbreaking, and highly influential, it is Steranko's longest self-contained graphic storytelling work. It is some of Steranko's best work in any medium. There were two versions of this book, one a digest size, published by Byron Preiss on lesser-quality paper, and this one, the scarce, special-order-only full size 8.5 x 11" that was printed on much higher-quality paper. This is the much harder to find version. Chandler : Red Tide is the ultimate published work by Steranko in its intended full-size with bold colors.

Fine condition with white pages. No writing and no tears. Very minor wear on covers and excellent pages. Creasing on upper left front and upper right back cover and same creasing on top inner gutter of pages. Slightly rubbed cover corners. Book may be unread. Really, really tough to find in this condition.

$85

img290.jpg

img291.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

This is what is still available:

FANTASTIC FOUR INDEX (1979) with Steranko cover $65

CAPTAIN AMERICA INDEX (1979) with Steranko cover $65

ARGOSY magazine - (Aug 1991) with Steranko cover $18

SHADOW paperback #11 - Kings of Crime with alternate cover $38

STERANKO - Graphic Prince of Darkness (1997) - 2 copies $30 each

CHANDLER - Red Tide (1976) digest size $35

STERANKO ON CARDS (1960) - signed by Steranko $175

The Captain Index is wonderful. I have a copy or I would be all over it. The front cover art is absolutely fantastic.

And the FF one? :)

I see I missed the word America (damned IPhone typing). I really liked all of the indices. The FF is superb as well. I have all of them except Conan.

Really someone should pick these up. Great bit of history and the covers alone are worth it. (thumbs u

I will be adding at least one very interesting item tonight at around 10pm EDT. Never sold on the Boards before...

Is it a "Sternako" item? You see those on eBay occasionally...

That's the old family name... his great-grandfather changed it to Steranko when he arrived at Ellis Island ;)

Next item is very unusual. This book caused a sensation in the magic world when released in 1964: Steranko's World of Escapes (part of Genii Magazine). 47 pages written, designed, and illustrated by Steranko. Yes, it's true that Steranko influenced Kirby to create Mister Miracle.

Cover creasing, small 1/4" tear edge of back cover. Interior very nice. Rare.

$120

REDUCED TO $90

img366.jpg

img367.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4067.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

FREEBIE OFFER!

Next buyer who spends $30 or more will get the following Nick Fury And His Agents of SHIELD #1 (1972) with an original Steranko cover for FREE. (if you want it, claim it)

Front

img368.jpg

Back

img369.jpg

PRICES REDUCED!

This is what is still available:

FANTASTIC FOUR INDEX (1979) with Steranko cover $65 NOW $52

CAPTAIN AMERICA INDEX (1979) with Steranko cover $65 NOW $52

ARGOSY magazine - (Aug 1991) with Steranko cover $18 NOW $14

SHADOW paperback #11 - Kings of Crime with alternate cover $38 NOW $32

STERANKO - Graphic Prince of Darkness (1997) - 2 copies $30 each NOW $25 each

CHANDLER - Red Tide (1976) digest size $35 NOW $28

STERANKO ON CARDS (1960) - signed by Steranko $175 NOW $150

STERANKO'S WORLD OF ESCAPES (Genii) $120 NOW $100

PLUS THESE TWO OFFERS!

Take both STERANKO ON CARDS and STERANKO'S WORLD OF ESCAPES for $235 combined ($15 savings)

Take both the Captain American and Fantastic Four indices for $95 ($9 savings)

AND LOOK ABOVE FOR NICK FURY #1 (1972) FREEBIE OFFER!

Guest Grails
Next up is the auto-biographical Graphic Prince of Darkness that Steranko wrote, designed and produced in 1997. This book is full of art that had never been released before or since including:

Pencils to a never published story in the "Stroke of Midnight"-style that was intended for Marvel

Original cover to Tower of Shadows #1 that was never published

Storyboards for Coppola's Dracula

and many more... and a ton of unbelievable and outrageous biographical material. This is a must-own for any Steranko fan.

I have two NM and unread copies of this long out-of-print book. 32 pages, comic-book size.

Each copy is $30

Each copy now reduced to $25

img240.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3543-1.jpg

IMG_3547-1.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

:takeit: 1 copy please.

Here is the other cover that Steranko did for the 1979 Marvel index series...

The Captain America issue is hard to find and features the first printing of what is the best image of Captain America that Steranko ever produced, in glorious wraparound color! 8.5 x 11" in size! That makes the wraparound cover 8.5" x 22" ! The largest cover that Steranko ever did. Interior is an amazing index resource of Tales of Suspense, Golden Age, Silver and Bronze Captain America.

This copy is F/VF with a crease at upper right corner of front cover and upper left corner of back cover that is also mildly present on interior pages. Book is flat, glossy and has excellent color as you can see in the photos. Killer Cap image by Steranko!

$65

NOW $52

:takeit: damnit there's troopers on there

Back

img361.jpg

Front

img360.jpg

Next up is the auto-biographical Graphic Prince of Darkness that Steranko wrote, designed and produced in 1997. This book is full of art that had never been released before or since including:

Pencils to a never published story in the "Stroke of Midnight"-style that was intended for Marvel

Original cover to Tower of Shadows #1 that was never published

Storyboards for Coppola's Dracula

and many more... and a ton of unbelievable and outrageous biographical material. This is a must-own for any Steranko fan.

I have two NM and unread copies of this long out-of-print book. 32 pages, comic-book size.

Each copy is $30

Each copy now reduced to $25

img240.jpg

:takeit: 1 copy please.

SOLD! Thank you! One copy remaining at $25!

Here is the other cover that Steranko did for the 1979 Marvel index series...

The Captain America issue is hard to find and features the first printing of what is the best image of Captain America that Steranko ever produced, in glorious wraparound color! 8.5 x 11" in size! That makes the wraparound cover 8.5" x 22" ! The largest cover that Steranko ever did. Interior is an amazing index resource of Tales of Suspense, Golden Age, Silver and Bronze Captain America.

This copy is F/VF with a crease at upper right corner of front cover and upper left corner of back cover that is also mildly present on interior pages. Book is flat, glossy and has excellent color as you can see in the photos. Killer Cap image by Steranko!

img360.jpg

$65

NOW $52

:takeit: damnit there's troopers on there

SOLD! Thank you! PM Sent!