• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daily Grade: Defenders #14

46 posts in this topic

CGC doesn't really downgrade for rust on staples unless it is severe.

Not true.

I don't disagree, but I would venture this book would get a 9.4 893scratchchin-thumb.gif In hand, I graded it a 9.6, and I can see a .2 deduction.

true! i've seen CGC NM 9.4's with rust on the staple. FF can back me up on this point where ever he is.

Was the book a 9.8 otherwise? Or was it just a speck of rust on what would have been a 9.6? I will bet you that any visible rust (no matter how slight) on whatever book you saw was downgraded at least .2.

CGC doesn't really downgrade for rust on staples unless it is severe.

Not true.

They downgrade somewhat severely in my opinion if you have a book with what would grade 9.6 possible 9.8 it would come back a 9.2 with something like that on the staple and I can attest to this as I have sent books in with varying degrees (4) of them to have some knowledge about it.

Davidking623

I'd be very interested to know about this "rust deduction" as well, so if anyone has a firm answer from CGC, please post it.

What does OS have to say on the subject? I keep seeing "discoloration" mentioned, along with Rusty at 3.0?

Im sorry but the rust on that staple wont get it above 9.0!

Davidking623

Sorry DK, I respectfully disagree. Page 146 of the Grading Guide 9.8:

"Staples: Must be original, generally centered and clean with no rust."

Page 154 of the Grading Guide 9.6:

"Staples: Must be original, generally centered, with only the slightest discoloration."

Clearly, the absence of ANY rust is mandated only in a 9.8 and above, and I believe that the instant example qualifies as "the slightest discoloration."

In fact, according to the Guide, a 9.4 book may even have a REPLACED staple, as long as it is "vintage".

BTW gents, it's been listed:

Defenders #14 hi.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Im sorry but the rust on that staple wont get it above 9.0!

Davidking623

Sorry DK, I respectfully disagree. Page 146 of the Grading Guide 9.8:

"Staples: Must be original, generally centered and clean with no rust."

Page 154 of the Grading Guide 9.6:

"Staples: Must be original, generally centered, with only the slightest discoloration."

Clearly, the absence of ANY rust is mandated only in a 9.8 and above, and I believe that the instant example qualifies as "the slightest discoloration."

In fact, according to the Guide, a 9.4 book may even have a REPLACED staple, as long as it is "vintage".

BTW gents, it's been listed:

Defenders #14 hi.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

But, per the OGG, rust "migration" (meaning rust on the cover from the staples) is not allowed above 7.0.

Check yo'self before you wreck yo'self. -- Ali G.