• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay question...how should I proceed.

26 posts in this topic

The answer to your question lies in the eBay user agreement you 'agreed' to when you joined. You are responsible for the item you sold getting to the buyer in the condition stated. Years ago eBay 'dropped' the insurance optional charge and now requires all sellers to guarantee the item through postal insurance or through their own 'self insurance.' This is an assumed cost of doing business on the site. You would be liable in this case and according to the user agreements put forth by both eBay and paypal, you do not have a case.

I am sorry, but look at it from the buyer's side. I am a PowerSeller and a member of PayPal Advantage. I can tell you that if you do a lot of business through eBay and paypal, paypal may split or cover the full cost for you. Keep in mind though you really have to do a lot of business with them for them to even consider this.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Good clear post, but I have a followup question. Why is there no assumed obligation (liability) for the carrier (USPS, FedEx or UPS or whoever) just by simple virtue of the fact that I have *paid* them to safely deliver the item from point A to point B? Why should any other insurance be necessary? Haven't these companies promised, by taking my money, to deliver the item in the same condition that I gave it to them? Just curious.

I would definitely ask for pictures of the smashed package etc..

I myself a while back had a person complain the item they got was damaged and used looking..when the item was sparkling new in package and not at all damaged and it was well packed..

anyway next run of auctions buyer after buyer complained about broken/damaged packages. Wanting to return the items etc or get partial refunds.

I started telling them I wanted proof pics of the "bashed/stomped etc" package. and all the sudden those asking for refunds shut up..and no one else complained..

Sometimes honestly something is wrong. I sell a lot of fragile stuff and have had many items arrived broken in the past BUT there are scammers who find out you will easily make a refund etc..and they will take advantage..

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for proof of the damaged packaging if you know you are packing them well to begin with.

I would go talk to your local postal inspector (or station manager). I was on great terms with the station that serviced my house. I treated them well, they treated me well and respected me and I got stellar service (barring one woman who was just sour, but that didn't affect prices or my deliveries). Then the USPS changed my station.

The new station damaged packages, didn't pick things up unless it was really obvious I was sending and I wasn't getting mail two days out of six (I found out I'm not on a regular route, I've got three to six carriers sharing my neighborhood-not a great way to build a relationship). But, after I got annoyed enough I talked to the manager and made a nuisance of myself. I said I would conveniently go out of town every other week until service improved. Turns out my phantom trips never became necessary. :)

Here's a photo of the box that the buyer sent me. Thanks, USPS. :facepalm:

photo.jpg

I see your problem right on the shipping label. Media mail is the cheapest and slowest service the USPS offers. When I used to work in Logistics I was told by several different carriers that you want it in their hands the least amount of time possible. As a buyer I'm totally willing to pay extra for Priority shipping to ensure the package doesn't get beat to hell 2c