• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 129 CGC 9.4 WP - $950 - no longer available - note: debris in case

90 posts in this topic

It's been a long time since I shipped overseas by Global Priority. I can't remember if they have to use the special boxes or not. I know that you can use the normal 1095 etc, but they may not qualify for the guarantee of delivery time. The insurance is the special part, that you have to be very careful about.

Go online to USPS and order some free boxes. For Priority Mail, slabs, get both the #1092 and 1095 boxes. The 1092 fits just inside the 1095 box, thus double protection.

If you ever ship anything near $3500, or more, also get some Express boxes, the 1097 is like the 1092(smaller). I forgot the bigger size which is equal to the 1095, but you can find it.

Shipping in the US anything $3500 or more is cheaper by Express than Priority Mail. The insurance is much higher for Priority Mail, than for Express, and the limit is $5k.

Yes, I do have cases of the 1092 and 1095s - just not sure about the size of the international priority boxes. I did think they were a bit smaller than the 1092s though?

The express boxes I have are 1093.

There are no specific priority or express boxes for international shipments - a priority box can be used whether it's going domestic or overseas.

I ship all my slabs inside the 1092/1095 double-box combo - haven't had one show up damaged yet :wishluck:

Last thing: overseas buyers are (usually) well aware of the shipping costs associated with sending stuff to them. It may seem crazy that somebody is willing to pay $40 in postage to receive a $200 slab, but if you're located in another country with no local source for CGC'ed books, you really don't have much of a choice.

Priority boxes can be used for domestic or international so you're good there.

Just a quick tip regarding drop off: If you go into the post office and drop off your box, you're running a major risk. The risk is that the box gets lost/stolen, etc before it's scanned into their system. If that were to happen, you're SOL and there's nothing you can do about it. Even if you pay for insurance, the PO would say they never got it since you have no proof of delivery to the PO.

I always get receipts for prepaid items. I need it just in case there's a lost or damaged package as my insurance wouldn't cover it otherwise. I realize a long line is discouraging, but lose a $2K book and see how you feel. :foryou:

It's been a long time since I shipped overseas by Global Priority. I can't remember if they have to use the special boxes or not. I know that you can use the normal 1095 etc, but they may not qualify for the guarantee of delivery time. The insurance is the special part, that you have to be very careful about.

I've never heard the term "Global Priority" before - are you sure you're not talking about Global Express Guaranteed (the service offered by the USPS where the item is actually sent through Fedex Express)?

Just a quick tip regarding drop off: If you go into the post office and drop off your box, you're running a major risk. The risk is that the box gets lost/stolen, etc before it's scanned into their system. If that were to happen, you're SOL and there's nothing you can do about it. Even if you pay for insurance, the PO would say they never got it since you have no proof of delivery to the PO.

I always get receipts for prepaid items. I need it just in case there's a lost or damaged package as my insurance wouldn't cover it otherwise. I realize a long line is discouraging, but lose a $2K book and see how you feel. :foryou:

That is a good point. Generally if the book is over $1000 I tend to ship FedEx anyway, in which case I do have to stand in line because I don't have an account with them. It's usually the sub-$1k books that I ship USPS Priority Mail. But you bring up a good point, if I'm dropping off a few $800 books, I should probably have them tracked in BEFORE I leave. Good tip. Lucky for me nothing has gone missing in 15 years of selling online.

I've never heard the term "Global Priority" before - are you sure you're not talking about Global Express Guaranteed (the service offered by the USPS where the item is actually sent through Fedex Express)?

I haven't shipped Global Priority in years. I swear they used to use a separate box, but it sounds like no more? That is certainly one plus for me - as I love my 1092 and 1095 boxes.

That is a good point. Generally if the book is over $1000 I tend to ship FedEx anyway, in which case I do have to stand in line because I don't have an account with them. It's usually the sub-$1k books that I ship USPS Priority Mail. But you bring up a good point, if I'm dropping off a few $800 books, I should probably have them tracked in BEFORE I leave. Good tip.

The chance of theft inside the PO is slim, but getting a receipt in hand isn't a bad idea. I can say that in any larger PO, the security typically will include gates and coded doors etc. There are second floors in almost all offices, those are for one thing only, postal inspectors watch and listen to anywhere on the first floor for criminal behavior. Getting out of most offices with a package from the inside is very risky, not many people would be dumb enough to try it.

Any parcels placed in parcel receptacles(wall) generally will be scanned in by 6PM or so. That information is now available online, which began last year. Before that you could only get a delivery scan after the delivery date. Now it's usually available within hours of the scanning at each step.

I haven't shipped Global Priority in years. I swear they used to use a separate box, but it sounds like no more? That is certainly one plus for me - as I love my 1092 and 1095 boxes.

Yes, there used to be specific "Global Priority" boxes (they were sort of brown and red), but now there are just "Priority Mail" boxes that are used both domestically and internationally.

Something else that I take into consideration regarding standing in those lines (maybe its because Im a UAW Member), If no one ever went to the counters... there would be alot of folks out of a job 2c