• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling GA books

31 posts in this topic

Very cool. It would be a blast just organizing the stuff. I do find the composition of some of your photos a bit strange though. check out this folding chair, and how about this white door?

I trust you will let us all know how and when you are selling. If the seller was buying in the 70s, I'm sure there are a lot of highly desirable books he was able to pick up for $2 and under, it brings tears to my eyes when I see 1.50 scribbled in pencil on the top of the back cover of a book I just paid $100 for.

On the photo composition:

The books were actually in two places. The gentleman had two houses within about 3 miles of each other. One was his primary residence, the other was his "workshop", where he retreated to work. He was an english professor, remember, so it was like an office swimming in books, comics, and LPs.

The pictures with the folding chair were in the attic of the primary residence. It was literally overflowing with books. The was an 18th century (not a typo) home. in New England.

The pictures with the white door were in the "workshop", and it was much more hospitable. He had most of the good stuff here, where he could enjoy it more easily.

Hope that makes a little sense of the shots.

I picked up a collection (much much smaller, but the same concept) of Golden Age books in the same kind of condition in January. All sorts of bizarre titles, very fun stuff. Mostly mid-grade, books from two months in 1951 and a month in 1954. I've sold them individually on eBay since then and have essentially doubled my money. You'd be very surprised what sort of stuff gets big action up there - a lot of the Golden Age books that you'd think would have absolutely no play at all have 10 people looking to complete runs. PM me if you'd like, I can send you a list of what sort of books I had. Congrats on the big score!

He did not collect pre-code superhero. This was mainly because, even then, they were $2-$5 each, and he was spending much less per book. He bought all the superhero stuff from the stands, and there are more than a few pre-code DC superhero books that are fair-poor-coverless.

As for timely, the only (superhero) thing I've found so far is a coverless/beat/brittle later issue of Young Allies.

As for a list, it will be more than a few weeks, so don't hold your breath. I am going to grade these as I rebag them and make the list.

Curious to see what kind of Timely/Atlas stuff you have. Any Marvel superhero stuff like the Torch, Subby, etc? I'd love to get my hands on some readers just to experience comics in that era. Please post a list as soon as you can.

Some of both, actually. I was going through some of the Dells last night. I didn't mention them in my total earlier, since I don't know the post/pre-code breakdown. There are at least 1000 Dell/GKs though. I have seen some two-digit four color Dell comics.

Any Little Lulus or early Four Colors?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif