• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MILE HIGH COMICS

77 posts in this topic

news stated he is going bankrupt.Which doesn't really surprise me,he's more into his tattoos and pottery than comics now. doh!

That's why I wanted a link to the article - just some insight into why his business model is falling apart now, after having worked for over three decades. Nothing more than idle curiosity, really. (shrug)

That collection he bought back in ' 77 may have had something to do with it.

True. 

I just wonder when the model used by Mile High started to break down?  Were the problems always there, disguised, at one extreme, or is this something that began much more recently?   (shrug)  Clearly this didn't just happen overnight.

I know this is off topic but has anyone noticed the standards of both mycomicshop and Mile High have slipped considerably?
Not particularly. Mile High have been consistently inconsistent over the years...

(thumbs u He needs to lower his prices and hire people who can grade to build up his rep,news stated he is going bankrupt.Which doesn't really surprise me,he's more into his tattoos and pottery than comics now. doh!

And his 'ribald lifestyle' with his assistant, Ashley.

news stated he is going bankrupt.Which doesn't really surprise me,he's more into his tattoos and pottery than comics now. doh!

That's why I wanted a link to the article - just some insight into why his business model is falling apart now, after having worked for over three decades. Nothing more than idle curiosity, really. (shrug)

Absolutely.

IIRC, Chuck sold a couple of key MH pieces at SDCC two or three years ago. These were books he'd kept for himself for decades, and probably provided a cash infusion for the business.

There may have been similar sales over the years, given the above.

True. 

I just wonder when the model used by Mile High started to break down?  Were the problems always there, disguised, at one extreme, or is this something that began much more recently?   (shrug)  Clearly this didn't just happen overnight.

You've answered your own questions there, more or less correctly. Chuck has always done things his way, and even though it may add a certain individualism, what the customer, especially the seasoned collector, wants is to buy with confidence and expect solemn professionalism in transactions.

One can only speculate, but with so much more competition in mail order due to the rise of online retailers over the last decade, and a creaky business model that still requires a complete overhaul (cf the Luddite website MH has), it's not unreasonable to assume that after having things their own way for so long, especially with foreign orders, that the current market has finally left Chuck in its slipstream.

It's difficult to oversee a large retail and online operation at the same time, although initially this wouldn't have been an issue due to MH being bankrolled by sales from the Church collection. Couple the competition with the well incrementally running dry, and there are problems.

Wait, is there any proof that he's having financial problems? It almost seems like this is a rumor based on the storyline from the Comic-Con documentary. I mean, it could be true but the man just bought a giant warehouse, is buying collections left and right, and I believe just hired a few people. Not the usually actions of someone whose business is failing.

I watched the Chuck Rozanski interview recently, Marc.  That's what was confusing me, because he says he invested a million in a new (warehouse) building, and it didn't seem as if there were any major cash flow issues.  That's why I wanted to read the article about the bankruptcy rumours.

Wait, is there any proof that he's having financial problems? It almost seems like this is a rumor based on the storyline from the Comic-Con documentary. I mean, it could be true but the man just bought a giant warehouse, is buying collections left and right, and I believe just hired a few people. Not the usually actions of someone whose business is failing.

Like I said, I was speculating. One thing is certain - he could do so much better if he wholesale revamped his business model.

my thoughts exactly

Sharing moment: With the question of online back issues so often being Mile High or mycomicshop (Lone Star), it always brings back a memory of my first Mile High catalog. For 25¢ I got a black and white newsprint catalog with a photo and a blurb on the cover announcing some cooperative action between "Chuck and Buddy." (It might have been "Mile High Futures already by that time) I remember the blurb so well because when I asked my parents where I could get a money order, my father was discouraging of me sending off my hard-earned money order to a couple of guys named "Chuck and Buddy."

Of course, I read the explanation that they were competitors in the same market, and I don't remember what the story about the picture really was. In the long run, I've ended up supporting each of them pretty equally. Not much choice when the nearest comic shop was at least two hours away, a little far to ride my bike.

I know this is off topic but has anyone noticed the standards of both mycomicshop and Mile High have slipped considerably?
Not particularly. Mile High have been consistently inconsistent over the years...

(thumbs u He needs to lower his prices and hire people who can grade to build up his rep,news stated he is going bankrupt.Which doesn't really surprise me,he's more into his tattoos and pottery than comics now. doh!

You can rip on their business practices all you want. I consider ash and chuck friends, so :censored: u.

You can rip on their business practices all you want. I consider ash and chuck friends, so :censored: u.

Chuck's words, not mine, so :censored: u. :gossip:

Apology accepted :sumo::foryou:

Apology accepted :sumo::foryou:

lol:foryou:

You're right, though, sometimes we forget there are real people behind the screen, behind the reputation, behind the corporate face...

I rather buy comic books from a homeless man than buy them from Mile High 2c

I had a "bad" experience buying from MHC and I refuse to buy from them again.

MHC has a book I am interested in and its overpriced by at least $100 likely 125 and they say 25% off and free shipping so I emailed them a question about the free shipping to canada week ago and they never got back to me ?

So I will stick to high prices and poor service ?

and after this tread not to interested

(shrug)