• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Arists do GREAT Commissions?

38 posts in this topic

I've been snooping around CAF trying to learn about, and get a feel for different artists. I'm exclusively interested in pieces to go on my wall. I'm personally not one to pay big money solely for a big name. For me the quality of the work must warrant the price. That's not to say anything negative about those who will pay thousands for a name. Different strokes and all that.

So far here's a few names that struck me.

1. Jay Anacleto

HOLY #$%$ing $%^&!!!!! (worship) I saw that his work is very expensive, but I'll be damned if he's not worth every penny. So I emailed his rep thinking a cool 2K or less can get a single figure. $3000! for a single figure with background. :censored:

2. Alex Ross

His paintings are amazing but also very expensive. I would ask pricing for a commission, but I get the feeling I don't want to know.

3. Ebas

His artwork is also very, very good. I spoke with his rep, who is very animated and outgoing. $750 for a commission, a very long wait and he needs the payment in full before the clock even starts ticking. Makes me nervous because I already have one artist from the board who still has my money from 10 months ago, and I can't get a hold of him.

4. Bing Cansino

By far the absolute most bang for your buck I have found in terms of quality of art and price.

5. Stephen Segovia

The aforementioned artists tend to have styles that are less indicative of comics and more resemble fine art geared toward realism, which I love. Segovia's work isn't cartoony like many comic artists, but it's also not photographic like the work of Anecleto. His work blends the comic book style and emotion with realism and a plethora of subtle detail.

SO!!! Who else am I missing?

Alex Ross doesnt do commissions. Not anymore.

Jay Anacleto is much cheaper if you catch him at a convention. I think I bought him 2 beers for a spiderman sketch he did for me on a blank cover and it was amazing.

I just had a Ghost Rider/Spawn commission done by Bing Cansino, and I think it turned out great. I plan on getting another one done in the very near future.

I have a 3 page in mind for the next one.

IMO, he's well worth the money.

I've been snooping around CAF trying to learn about, and get a feel for different artists. I'm exclusively interested in pieces to go on my wall. I'm personally not one to pay big money solely for a big name. For me the quality of the work must warrant the price. That's not to say anything negative about those who will pay thousands for a name. Different strokes and all that.

So far here's a few names that struck me.

1. Jay Anacleto

HOLY #$%$ing $%^&!!!!! (worship) I saw that his work is very expensive, but I'll be damned if he's not worth every penny. So I emailed his rep thinking a cool 2K or less can get a single figure. $3000! for a single figure with background. :censored:

2. Alex Ross

His paintings are amazing but also very expensive. I would ask pricing for a commission, but I get the feeling I don't want to know.

3. Ebas

His artwork is also very, very good. I spoke with his rep, who is very animated and outgoing. $750 for a commission, a very long wait and he needs the payment in full before the clock even starts ticking. Makes me nervous because I already have one artist from the board who still has my money from 10 months ago, and I can't get a hold of him.

4. Bing Cansino

By far the absolute most bang for your buck I have found in terms of quality of art and price.

5. Stephen Segovia

The aforementioned artists tend to have styles that are less indicative of comics and more resemble fine art geared toward realism, which I love. Segovia's work isn't cartoony like many comic artists, but it's also not photographic like the work of Anecleto. His work blends the comic book style and emotion with realism and a plethora of subtle detail.

SO!!! Who else am I missing?

Art Adams does badass commissions.

ArthurAdamsScarletWitchLargeCameraPic.JPG

sonja10.jpg

So does Bill Sienkiewicz, but you gotta keep on top of him.

sienkiewicz-flash-cover.jpg

A nice thing about Bill is that he'll really work with you to get a commission that's within your budget, whatever your budget might be.

More affordable is Anthony Castrillo, who used to do commissions on the boards. He's incredibly skilled, got a great pure comics style. I'm not sure if he's still taking commissions though.

castrillo-reverse-flash-css-22-cgc.jpg

castrillo-flash-sa-cover-cgc-formus.jpg

mystery_in_space_66_castrillo_sm.jpg

Any idea how to get in touch with Art Adams?

Enric Torres-Prat is my favourite artist to commission but, unfortunately, they aren't cheap, so I can't get too many. I've gotten 3 of them so far, and I am extremely happy with how they all turned out. He does an initial pencil prelim, then a painted prelim that is usually a beautiful piece of art all on its own (and is included with the final piece), and then finally the finished painting. They are pricy, but at a size of at least 18"x24", they are well worth it, IMO. I really want another one....

Mike McKone is another artist that does great and fast commissions.

Enric Torres-Prat is my favourite artist to commission but, unfortunately, they aren't cheap, so I can't get too many. I've gotten 3 of them so far, and I am extremely happy with how they all turned out. He does an initial pencil prelim, then a painted prelim that is usually a beautiful piece of art all on its own (and is included with the final piece), and then finally the finished painting. They are pricy, but at a size of at least 18"x24", they are well worth it, IMO. I really want another one....

What does Enric typically charge?

Depends on what you want, really. Mine were all commissioned at the $3K level. Main character, plus animal companions (one had a tiger and hawk, another a large leopard, and the last one had 3 wolves). They can all be checked out on my CAF link below, they are the top 3 Featured pieces on my page. The one with the snow leopard is actually super huge. Paid for an 18x24 piece, but Enric actually did it at more like a 24"x36" size.

Last I heard was $3k for a 20 x 27, $4k for a 27 x 40 and $5k for a 40 x 60. And from my last experience, it wasn't even much of a wait!

I only have 4 commissions, but I've been VERY happy with all of them so far...

Joe Staton: $600 for multiple figures in full color... the most I've paid for anything, and he also took the longest. But he was easy to work with, and I really couldn't be happier with the piece he created for me

Riley Rossmo: $100 for MANY figures... I doubt he's this cheap anymore, but the commission I got from him was super detail, and he later used it as a back cover ad for 2 issues of Proof (I think may 1 month turnaround)

Peter Bagge: I believe I paid $300 for the cast of Hate... Peter's awesome, and I was able to pick this up in person when I went to Seattle. Turnaround was only like 1 week

Jim Lawson: $200 for all 4 Turtles... nicely detailed piece that looks like something straight out of his comics. We had a month of emails before he was able to begin, but once he began, it was 2 weeks (or less) before I had the piece