• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grendel is Now Considered Bronze Age!

30 posts in this topic

So I assume Mr OT, that you agree 100% with Overstreet Age retcons?

I don't, and I'm not the kind of person to just agree with absolutely everything people tell me. I'll leave that to you knumbnuts. thumbsup2.gif

And if you're trying to say I never change my mind or admit an error, you're dead wrong. Check out the When Did The Broze Age Start thread, and you'll see I jumped onboard with the "Marvel Premiere/Spotlight/Feature #1's" as the start-point.

But once a few people started mentioning Conan #1, I actually went back and re-read large sections of 1968-73 Marvel books, and it became quite obvious that I was wrong, and that Conan #1 clearly was the start of the Marvel Bronze Age.

I have no problem re-examining the facts, but I read that "Comics Code" horsecrepe, and if that's what Arnold views as "evidence" that will change minds. then.... 27_laughing.gif

c'mon JC everyone knows the "Bronze Age" started when someone decided to call comics published in the Seventies by that term. makepoint.gif

Oh and OldGuy, what did you think of my custom disclaimer, pretty spiffy huh? acclaim.gif

This post is safe for CGC board consumption in that it deals directly with comic books, and is in no way, shape or form "off-topic" or "OT" as those terms are generally defined. Any attempt to "high-jack" this thread or otherwise inhibit its function as an "on-topic" post will be met with swift and sure retribution, including, but not limited to: cancellation of your FOOM membership, the revocation of your Babe Test privileges (especially YOU Aces), and/or the requirement that you prostrate yourself before board member OldGuy and beg his foregiveness for sullying up yet another fine comic-related thread.

c'mon JC everyone knows the "Bronze Age" started when someone decided to call comics published in the Seventies by that term.

Apparently, you were quite the voracious reader and collector back then, as the differences were like night and day. Sure, the term "Bronze" came like others, after the fact, but the quantum shift was readily apparent.

One minute we've got Marvel's Boy Scout Brigade, and the next, heros are killing villains, villains are killing heroes, and the bystander body count really started piling up.

It got real dark, real quick after Conan #1.

c'mon JC everyone knows the "Bronze Age" started when someone decided to call comics published in the Seventies by that term.

Apparently, you were quite the voracious reader and collector back then, as the differences were like night and day. Sure, the term "Bronze" came like others, after the fact, but the quantum shift was readily apparent.

One minute we've got Marvel's Boy Scout Brigade, and the next, heros are killing villains, villains are killing heroes, and the bystander body count really started piling up.

It got real dark, real quick after Conan #1.

I was born in the Sixties, but I didn't start reading anything until the Seventies, so I have no first-hand knowledge. But please don't start telling me that in order to have an opinion I needed to have 'lived it' because that's BS.

In addition, your identifying a 'quantum shift' in content smacks more of a 'comic code' argument than you may realize or acknowledge. After all, if a book is Bronze because it's thematically 'dark' then pre-code crime and horror from the Fifties qualifies as well, no?

In addition, your identifying a 'quantum shift' in content smacks more of a 'comic code' argument than you may realize or acknowledge.

Too bad these books beat the Code by a few years. In case you don't understand what the Comics Code is, it follows the trends, and changes only when companies put the pressure on and force changes.

There were many books produced that either didn't include the Code, pushed by Code barriers, or snuck through lazy readers. Only way after the fact, did what was happening in the "real world" get put into the Code.

Now since you obviously weren't reading or collecting comics during that era, further conversation is probably not warranted.

In addition, your identifying a 'quantum shift' in content smacks more of a 'comic code' argument than you may realize or acknowledge.

Too bad these books beat the Code by a few years. In case you don't understand what the Comics Code is, it follows the trends, and changes only when companies put the pressure on and force changes.

There were many books produced that either didn't include the Code, pushed by Code barriers, or snuck through lazy readers. Only way after the fact, did what was happening in the "real world" get put into the Code.

Now since you obviously weren't reading or collecting comics during that era, further conversation is probably not warranted.

One last thing, JC......

what about Wagner? makepoint.gif

grin.gif

What about Wagner? I know this thread started out with a joke on 1984 and Grendel, but I fail to see what he has to do with the Bronze Age?

You see the connection all right, you just fail to acknowledge its validity. wink.gif

893frustrated.gif

"I wonder why they did this, as it's totally illogical to use 1984 as the end of the Bronze Age, and I've never, ever heard anyone promoting a date that far past reason and reality."

Have you actually read the articles in which we detailed the reasons for the Age span? You're certainly free to disagree and call Bronze whatever you like, but I think if you read the articles you'll at least understand where we came up with our reasoning. It's spelled out pretty clearly. You can then completely reject it and go by your own personal judgement, it's a free country.

Arnold

Read them? NO! They're not in the BIG BIG OPG!!! Why, you little !$#^$*!&@! 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

You see the connection all right, you just fail to acknowledge its validity.

Sorry to say, but anyone who puts the big Independents rush like TMNT, Grendel, Fish Police, Concrete, GrimJack, etc. into the BRONZE AGE, goes straight into my crackpot pile. thumbsup2.gif

If anything, these books heralded a new age that really had Marvel and DC playing catch-up, and lowered back issue sales to all-time lows.