• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-O Manowar discussion, arriving May 2

344 posts in this topic

No but the point is this. # 1 first prints (regular and pullbox) are available via eBay in bulk for wholesale rates of roughly half cover (i.e. ~$20 for 10 copies).

Yep. I don't disagree with you at all on that.

Given that that is the case, why the need for 2nd-4th prints?

Because shops ordered them. You'd have to ask them specifically, but my guess would be that some shops didn't order enough or any of the first prints. There's some people who still don't use ebay too. Why? Stupidity or preference, I guess. (shrug)

And the book is still (purportedly) "hot." Usually it takes 6-12 months for new books like that to hit the $2 or $1 boxes, not 100 days.

Yeah, I don't know who is telling you that X-O #1 1st print is "hot", but they are wrong. The story may be "hot" or the second printing may be "hot", but definitely not the first print. I fully expect Valiant to call it "hot" though because what do you want them to say.... that it sucks?

But the needless variants for _every_ book has turned me off from the whole line. What's the fun incollecting if it's either a) impossible to reasonably collect a publisher even it's only got four titles out, or b) be forced to spend $30 per issue or $125 per title every month to afford the ridiculous variants?

To be clear, I'm fine with the mulitple covers on the # 1s, but for Bloodshot 2, Harbinger 3, X-O 5, etc.? Especially when the variant structures means ~1,000 copies each? Not even Ultraverse did that.

I don't care for them either, but for me, I can get past the need for the collecting to be fun and I can just enjoy the stories.

Given that that is the case, why the need for 2nd-4th prints?

Because shops ordered them. You'd have to ask them specifically, but my guess would be that some shops didn't order enough or any of the first prints. There's some people who still don't use ebay too. Why? Stupidity or preference, I guess. (shrug)

From what I saw, the ordering was patchy, despite the ~40K print run. Some stores ordered heavily, and still have first prints. Some ordered very few copies, sold out immediately, and needed to re-order.

Valiant has stated that the orders for X-O #1 primarily ranged from 2 to 200 per shop.

The shops with 200+ may have dozens leftover. The shops with 2 probably sold out the first day.

Diamond sold out of first prints, so Diamond offered 2nd prints, sold out, 3rd prints, sold out, and 4th are available (but haven't shipped yet).

Unless shops are ordering from each other, there's no way to spread the extra 1st prints around.

Shops use Diamond and there are no more 1st prints (or 2nd or 3rd).

It's not a hot book (regular or pullbox edition of X-O #1), but the 1:20 and 1:50 are doing about the same (or better) than most Marvel and DC 1:20 and 1:50.

The 2nd print sells for about $12 to $20, and sites like icv2 and comichron estimate 1,440 copies (domestic).

Valiant has stated that some shops that ordered heavily didn't expect to sell out of 1st prints before December...

and they're happy to have all the issues available on the shelf as new readers pick up the series.