• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'American Pickers' in my home town!

72 posts in this topic

I love antiques. I love heading to the local antique markets and just looking around. I get a soothing feeling being around all those fantastic old items. I hardly ever buy anything but I love to just be in the shop and looking around. I love estate sales and I love to hit up the garage sales too.

I don't know why. I guess I'm just a collector.

I think the antique speculator frenzy will die down but there will always be the niche crowd that just loves to collect. Its evolving just like the comic collecting world is evolving.

and Danielle is smokin' hot.

American Pickers changed a bit from the pilot. The feel of the original show was very...um hostile may be a little strong but you just got a sleazy used car salesman vibe from them. It just appeared like they were ripping people off. I don't know if that was an editing decision that was changed or if the guys were asked to tone down the car salesman.

I don't know how their business model works, meaning do they have clients they look for specifically, do they stock the store with what they find etc. I know the store in Nashville is basically a tee shirt shop. The few antiques they do have are all marked Not for Sale. I know their new location hasn't been open long but if I was going to open an antique store I think I would have the stock ready for it when it opened.

With that being said they do know their stuff. In most of the picks, where its just piles and piles of hoarded stuff that some of these crazy people don't want to part with and it will probably end up in a land fill after the owner dies. I do feel that with the AP guys they are rescuing some of those items and hopefully getting them to a good home.

The episode airs tonight. Due to time constraints I have not been on the boards all that much. There is an AF 15 in this episode. Please watch, as I grew up in Boyertown and know the individual(s) featured in this episode.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

On last night's show, they actually showed a sales transaction at the Tennessee store for the AF #15. Sold for $5,500, bought for $4500.

I thought I saw that. I seem to remember the episode when they bought it. It was what a Good+ ish copy?

Just last weekend I was in the Nashville store. (Passing though.) The inside is not big at all. Seen a bunch of the stuff they bought on the show. Picked up some shirts. They had some band playing in the store for some reason. Don't know why? Pretty cool.