• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Googly Moogly Avengers #5 in CGC NM+

72 posts in this topic

damn the man and his oppressive work hours!

now you're starting to enter into a geography discussion. Although I would assume that Japan would be included in region of Asia, I think the Philippines have another geographical term. Although I could be wrong. As I am also unlcear as to the border of Asia to the West and North sides of the continent.

I thought that Filipinos are Pacific Islanders. PIs are usually grouped with Asians, but I don't think that they are considered the same ethnicity.

now you're starting to enter into a geography discussion

The geography of where people live, I suppose. We got off on this tangent to the first tangent ( blush.gif ) when I said "aren't Oriental women usually around 5'4"?" after noticing the Eastern (is this un-PC too? confused-smiley-013.gif ) Miss Universe pageant members are mostly in the 5'9" to 5'11" range. I know there are distinct ethno-cultural differences between China, Japan, Vietnam, etc, but from what I've seen, they share a lot of physical characteristics, including height.

Am I supposed to be offended if an Oriental, errr I mean Eastern, errr no wait I mean Asian person refers to me generically as a Westerner? shocked.gif

That's better than CRACKA!

That's what my best friend always calls me....oh, those fun inter-racial friendships. grin.gif

I won't even go into some of his nicknames. blush.gif

I think that's best not to. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

damn the man and his oppressive work hours!

now you're starting to enter into a geography discussion. Although I would assume that Japan would be included in region of Asia, I think the Philippines have another geographical term. Although I could be wrong. As I am also unlcear as to the border of Asia to the West and North sides of the continent.

I thought that Filipinos are Pacific Islanders. PIs are usually grouped with Asians, but I don't think that they are considered the same ethnicity.

No, Filippinos are considered Asians, and the Philippines are considered part of Asia. That's probably about as far east as Asia goes. The term "Asian" covers a wide range of ethnicities, from Chinese/Koreans/Japanese in the north to Indonesians and Indians in the south. When you see references to "Asians" in England, more often the reference is to people of southeast Asian descent (Indian/Pakistani/Sri Lankan) rather than eastern Asian (Chinese, Japanese, etc.). "Pacific Islanders" usually refers to people of Polynesian descent or from the islands of the south Pacific.

We got off on this tangent to the first tangent ( blush.gif ) when I said "aren't Oriental women usually around 5'4"?" after noticing the Eastern (is this un-PC too? confused-smiley-013.gif ) Miss Universe pageant members are mostly in the 5'9" to 5'11" range. I know there are distinct ethno-cultural differences between China, Japan, Vietnam, etc, but from what I've seen, they share a lot of physical characteristics, including height.

The average height (of men and women) is increasing every year as a result of better nutrition and, believe it or not, sitting on chairs instead of squatting or kneeling on the ground all the time. General rule of thumb is the farther north you go, the taller Asians tend to be. Korean and northern Chinese women (from Shanghai up) can be pretty tall these days, and it's not that uncommon to see 6 footers now. Yao Ming's mother is 6' 2"!

While it is true that people are getting taller, one can safely knock 2" off the listed hieght of most models, actors/actresses and beauty contestants. Even average Joe's & Jane's tend to exaggerate their hieght slightly, at the very least rounding up to the next whole inch even if they're only a quarter inch above the next lowest inch.

While it is true that people are getting taller, one can safely knock 2" off the listed hieght of most models, actors/actresses and beauty contestants. Even average Joe's & Jane's tend to exaggerate their hieght slightly, at the very least rounding up to the next whole inch even if they're only a quarter inch above the next lowest inch.

You're right, but what I meant to say was the average height of Asian men and women is increasing. According to some reports I read, the average height of most western European and Americans has topped out in recent years, as most of the "easy" benefits of generally eating better and being healthier, derived from living in a wealthier society, have now been realized. i.e., we've maximized the environmental factors, so it's now back to genetic factors. In contrast, much of Asia is still reaping the benefits of improved environmental factors and has not hit the wall yet.

So whereas it used to be really rare to see an east Asian woman taller than 5' 8" or so, it's now pretty common and 6' is not the incredibly rare thing it used to be. BTW, most of the runway models I've met (both Asian and white) really ARE tall (5' 10" to over 6'). I agree that most actors/actresses are not that tall in person.

How did this thread ever bocome the 'PC BS gone mad' thread?

That Avengers #5 is mighty fine, I'd love it cloud9.gif

Dunno. confused-smiley-013.gif I love that Avengers #5 too! Great googly moogly!!!! acclaim.gifcloud9.gif