• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm sure this thread exists somewhere.....

111 posts in this topic

No, this conversation turned into: What is/was a more culturally relevant property in its time, Walking Dead or TMNT? I don't actually believe that anyone would choose WD in this debate so I'll assume ComicConnoisseur is arguing merely for fun.

Not arguing at all just stating my opinion.

Like I said I like TMNT,Walking Dead and Wolverine about the same. I am just saying I think WD #1 has eclipsed TMNT #1 and about to eclipse Incredible Hulk #181 as a must have grail.

I hope nobody`s taking it personal,as its not like I am saying your character sucks and mine is better.

This debate is purely about what I think is the bigger phenomenon now and better investment pick. :foryou:

Here's a different yardstick. Eastman and Laird really struck gold when the characters were picked up for a cartoon show and being creators, holding the license, they reaped major benefits from that.

How long did it take McFarlane to get a Spawn cartoon on the air? How long did it take Lee to get WildC.A.T.S. or Larsen to get Savage Dragon in cartoon form?

I know those cartoons weren't so successful, but it's clear they were attempting to follow the formula that Eastman and Laird accidentally created. This example speaks to the secondary influence of the key nature of TMNT. It's why TMNT #1 is a key issue and not just a high-priced back issue. Keys hold their value in the long term because they're keys. That's the proof, in my opinion.

Undergrounds in general had a lot more to do with paving the way for independent publishing, and even Cerebus can be credited with having far more influence and impact than TMNT. The only thing keeping the first prints desirability trait is demand exceeding supply, mixed with memories. 2c

I agree that Cerebus is a key because of the huge influence on self-publishing (and the phone books which lead eventually to the constant trades we have from the major publishers today) I was mainly drawing the connection between TMNT's broader presence in pop culture to what the Image founders wanted to emulate in their efforts. At least that's the simplistic way I see it. :)

Cerebus was influential on the indy scene and comics in general. For sure. Cerebus is not, however, culturally influential. NO ONE outside of comics knows what Cerebus is. No one.

This thread is internet argumentation 101. Takes notes.

Jersey Shore is bigger than TWD and TMNT put together.

I can't wait for the Jersey Shore comic. :popcorn:

Can I pre-order the Snooki Virgin Nude Variants from you?

Sure (thumbs u Any interest in the Pauly D One Punch mini-series?

Cerebus was influential on the indy scene and comics in general. For sure. Cerebus is not, however, culturally influential. NO ONE outside of comics knows what Cerebus is. No one.

Quite true.

Also true.

:popcorn:

Amazingly true.

The truest.

Too bad Jersey Shore is not in mint condition. :(

Sure (thumbs u Any interest in the Pauly D One Punch mini-series?

Just the sketch covers please. Do SS witnesses authenticate gel stains?