• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Letters to the Editor

67 posts in this topic

Next up is a letter from this guy.

gd2.jpg

GARY DAHLBERG.

As many of you know Gary collected comic books mostly all his life. After his tragic and untimely death in July 2010, his collection came to light. LSS, this came to be known as the TWIN CITIES PEDIGREE.

Gary was a fine artist in his own right, no doubt this had some bearing on his lifetime love affair with comic books.

This letter would have been submitted in the winter of 1968, and appeared in this issue, NICK FURY # 11.

Cover date was April 1969, and the actual on-sale date was January 28th 1969.

26266.jpg

Dear Stan, Archie and Frank,

Who says that when you change artist and writer you have to change character format? Nick Fury, as the Agent of Shield is not the same man since this talent turn over. This is not a bad reflection on Archie and Frank's work...but lately Shield has been inconsistent. What happened to Val? And the other new agents that made a refreshing change from Dum Dum and Gabe (who we see 'nuff of in SGT. FURY AND HIS HOWLING COMMANDOS). Did they just fade away?

Are you going to let this powerful back-ground of supporting characters go? Don't bring back Jasper Sitwell-he's a drag. And tell colorist Springer those one-color panels muddy the whole bit. Keep SHIELD cool with things us normal people don't do. Keep SHIELD new, clever, fresh and up-to-date...OR THE WHOLE CONCEPT IS GOING TO FAIL!

Don't Yield...say thank you.

Gary Dahlberg, 1715 Oliver Ave. N

Minneapolis, Minnesota 55411

Stan's reply.

Thank you, Gary. The point in question is a good one...but don't forget the cast of Fury (both Sgt.-and Agent-) is quite a large one. They have to be rotated so we can squeeze 'em all in from time to time. The supporting characters will never die...they are merely sleeping!

DITKO vs ROMITA

This letter comes from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 50. Cover date of July 1967, actual On-sale date was 11th April 1967.

It is from Canada.

( I have edited some out of Writer and Editor responses, because it went off on tangents, and have just included the content pertaining to Ditko & Romita.)

1967ASM050-6300f.jpg

Dear Stan and John,

John Romita does not draw Spider-Man as well as your previous artist, I know you won't print this because since he left Marvel, you have avoided mentioning his name like the plague. Getting back to John Romita's art, I must say that although he is a good artist, his predecessor was better at illustrating Spidey because his art created a mood unlike any other artist, and Spidey has suffered without this mood.

Sure, Mr.Romita draws nice pictures, but they lack that aura of mystery, of drama that they once had. Sure the stories are as good, Stan, although I'd like to see more of the mystery cops-and-robbers variety, but Spidey is no longer Spidey. John draws prettier girls, and handsomer guys, but that's not the point. He doesn't give Spidey that special artistic flavor which made it one of the most complete comic books ever put out. I used to favor Spidey even more than the F.F., but not any more. Spidey is number two now.

Brad Castor, 317 Laidlaw Blvd.

Winnipeg 29, Man., Canada

...and Stan's reply...

We admit that it is our policy never to mention artists who have since departed from the halcyon haunts of Marvel to seek their fortunes elsewhere. Perhaps we're wrong in so doing, but we feel it isn't fair to mention guys who are no longer here in the Bullpen where they can speak for themselves.

hm

Interesting editorial philosophy there.

It could be interpreted as this... (shrug)

..and Stan's (real meaning) reply...

We admit that when an artist works within the bullpen, they will be hyped up and hallowed to the nth degree. When they leave, they shall be, to all intents and purposes, considered deceased.

Edited by Bluetooth

Its enjoyable to do, although a little laborious, because I have to type each letter out word for word, and have to get it exact. I don't own a scanner, and my camera is garbage.

I have just learned (I think) how to upload pics to the forum, so hopefully I can round the posts out a bit with some informative pictures when needed. :D

I've been on the Boards ten years and you've accomplished all I know how to do (and more) in ten days. :sorry:

Its enjoyable to do, although a little laborious, because I have to type each letter out word for word, and have to get it exact. I don't own a scanner, and my camera is garbage.

I have just learned (I think) how to upload pics to the forum, so hopefully I can round the posts out a bit with some informative pictures when needed. :D

I've been on the Boards ten years and you've accomplished all I know how to do (and more) in ten days. :sorry:

Thanks for the compliment, but I wouldn't go that far. Still learning and picking things up, or trying to. :blush:

I've often wondered if I have wasted a lot of time and money over the years collecting comic books. Do real people actually consider them important? I've wondered why I am still pursuing what was essentially a childhood pastime, only now many years later those 'silver age' books are expensive.

I don’t get what you mean by "real people".

I also don’t get why you are wondering about considering them "important". A pastime is important as much as any other aspect of your life, especially an uplifting pastime. Of course, I am talking of good narratives (be them literature, narrative, comics et al.), narratives which enrich you, rather than impoverish you.

I've often wondered if I have wasted a lot of time and money over the years collecting comic books. Do real people actually consider them important? I've wondered why I am still pursuing what was essentially a childhood pastime, only now many years later those 'silver age' books are expensive.

I also don’t get why you are wondering about considering them "important". A pastime is important as much as any other aspect of your life, especially an uplifting pastime. Of course, I am talking of good narratives (be them literature, narrative, comics et al.), narratives which enrich you, rather than impoverish you.

173599760605815907_i47mVAXU_f.jpg

:foryou:

I sometimes think I may be weird. After all the first thing I do when I get a back issue I've been chasing, is smell it.

Yes, I love the smell of comic books in the morning.

I catalog my books in such an OCD fashion, its too embarrassing to repeat here.Finally they go in a queue, to be read, then when read, they get stacked away with all the others in a cupboard.

One of the fascinating things for me about them is they are in effect historical documents. There are many references within their pages to world events of the time. A great window on the past is the letters to the Editors. Many of these are of course nonsense, but some are truly wonderful for lots of reasons. There are letters which comment on events of the time, there are those from people I've come to know in later life, there are letters from people who have gone on to be celebrities within the comic industry and beyond.

And there are those that are simply awesome indictments of what it means to be a human being in this world.

I have a huge interest in these letters and would like to share some with you. It would be great if people could maybe also show some letters here that appeal to them. This first couple of letters return to my point about whether comic books are important to people.

They obviously are. These two letters are powerful and poignant.

I have reprinted them here, as is with no alterations.

The first letter comes from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 50. Cover date of July 1967, actual On-sale date was 11th April 1967.

LETTER # 1.

Dear Stan and John,

I thought I had left comic books somewhere in my past, but once again, I find myself reading them. It would surprise (shock!) many people back in the states to learn that so many service men read them. Especially, the Marvel Comics Group which is sold in every P.X. I've been in over here. And it always makes us mad to miss an issue!

We don't have much time for reading here in Viet Nam although we usually are able to squeeze in enough time to read your Marvels. Spider-Man is by far, my favorite, although all of your super-heroes are really something. We sure could use them over here, but I guess we'll just have to rely on our own "talents". It may be a coincidence, but we think of ourselves as "junior super-heroes".

If you get a chance, send one over here to give us a hand! But, to be serious for a second, thanks a lot for providing a lot of us with some good action packed reading material. We really enjoy your series. They, like letters from home, help take our minds out of Viet Nam for a while.

Cpl. Leonard R. St.Clair, 2164081 USMC, "I" Co.

3rd Bn., 1st Mar.Div

FPO, San Francisco, Cal 96602

Editor's reply (StanLee)

In that case, Len, even if they serve no other purpose, we'll still keep turning 'em out to the best of our agonizin' ability! Unfortunately , we can't actually send any of our costumed characters to the field of battle, but we can always do the next best thing-so watch for the first ish of the complimentary subscription which we're winging your way, with our sincerest best wishes to you and your battle-honed buddies. May you all successfully and safely complete your tour of duty, and soon be able to latch onto your favorite mags merely by walking to the corner newsstand.

The second letter comes from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 53. Cover date of October 1967, actual On-sale date was 11th July 1967.

LETTER # 2.

(Message from Editor, Stan Lee appeared in a box above the letter)

NOTE; We recently received a letter which affected us all very deeply. We are printing it, in its entirety, with no comment-save one-

Dear Stan,

Since all of us in the headquarters section of India Company are Spider-Man fans, we regret to inform you that Corporal St.Clair, whose letter will be printed in SPIDER-MAN #50, was killed in action on 28 February, 1967. He was a squad leader in our 3rd Platoon when his patrol was ambushed southwest of Da Nang. Your comic SPIDER-MAN is the most sought after piece of literature and art work in this company. Keep up the good work; you're a real morale booster.

India Company 3/1 3rd B., 1st Mar.

1st Marine Div. (REIN) FMF, FPO

San Francisco, Cal 96602

Editor's reply (StanLee)

God rest you, soldier.

And God bless you all

(Another message from Editor, Stan Lee appeared in a box below the letter)

As a mark of respect to Corporal St.Clair, and all others who have given the last measure of devotion for their country, we are omitting our usual "coming attractions" paragraph this issue. We prefer, instead, to express the fervent hope that the day will come when men in every land will walk together in peace and brotherhood.

:sorry:

What a powerful few paragraphs.

That just hits ya even though it was over 50 years ago....makes me sad. Those kids were doing what they could to survive and it was nice to see that something as simple as a comic made hell on earth a better place...

Probably one of the Top 10 posts on this crazy board...

Thank you for posting!

I sometimes think I may be weird. After all the first thing I do when I get a back issue I've been chasing, is smell it.

Yes, I love the smell of comic books in the morning.

I catalog my books in such an OCD fashion, its too embarrassing to repeat here.Finally they go in a queue, to be read, then when read, they get stacked away with all the others in a cupboard.

One of the fascinating things for me about them is they are in effect historical documents. There are many references within their pages to world events of the time. A great window on the past is the letters to the Editors. Many of these are of course nonsense, but some are truly wonderful for lots of reasons. There are letters which comment on events of the time, there are those from people I've come to know in later life, there are letters from people who have gone on to be celebrities within the comic industry and beyond.

And there are those that are simply awesome indictments of what it means to be a human being in this world.

I have a huge interest in these letters and would like to share some with you. It would be great if people could maybe also show some letters here that appeal to them. This first couple of letters return to my point about whether comic books are important to people.

They obviously are. These two letters are powerful and poignant.

I have reprinted them here, as is with no alterations.

The first letter comes from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 50. Cover date of July 1967, actual On-sale date was 11th April 1967.

LETTER # 1.

Dear Stan and John,

I thought I had left comic books somewhere in my past, but once again, I find myself reading them. It would surprise (shock!) many people back in the states to learn that so many service men read them. Especially, the Marvel Comics Group which is sold in every P.X. I've been in over here. And it always makes us mad to miss an issue!

We don't have much time for reading here in Viet Nam although we usually are able to squeeze in enough time to read your Marvels. Spider-Man is by far, my favorite, although all of your super-heroes are really something. We sure could use them over here, but I guess we'll just have to rely on our own "talents". It may be a coincidence, but we think of ourselves as "junior super-heroes".

If you get a chance, send one over here to give us a hand! But, to be serious for a second, thanks a lot for providing a lot of us with some good action packed reading material. We really enjoy your series. They, like letters from home, help take our minds out of Viet Nam for a while.

Cpl. Leonard R. St.Clair, 2164081 USMC, "I" Co.

3rd Bn., 1st Mar.Div

FPO, San Francisco, Cal 96602

Editor's reply (StanLee)

In that case, Len, even if they serve no other purpose, we'll still keep turning 'em out to the best of our agonizin' ability! Unfortunately , we can't actually send any of our costumed characters to the field of battle, but we can always do the next best thing-so watch for the first ish of the complimentary subscription which we're winging your way, with our sincerest best wishes to you and your battle-honed buddies. May you all successfully and safely complete your tour of duty, and soon be able to latch onto your favorite mags merely by walking to the corner newsstand.

The second letter comes from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 53. Cover date of October 1967, actual On-sale date was 11th July 1967.

LETTER # 2.

(Message from Editor, Stan Lee appeared in a box above the letter)

NOTE; We recently received a letter which affected us all very deeply. We are printing it, in its entirety, with no comment-save one-

Dear Stan,

Since all of us in the headquarters section of India Company are Spider-Man fans, we regret to inform you that Corporal St.Clair, whose letter will be printed in SPIDER-MAN #50, was killed in action on 28 February, 1967. He was a squad leader in our 3rd Platoon when his patrol was ambushed southwest of Da Nang. Your comic SPIDER-MAN is the most sought after piece of literature and art work in this company. Keep up the good work; you're a real morale booster.

India Company 3/1 3rd B., 1st Mar.

1st Marine Div. (REIN) FMF, FPO

San Francisco, Cal 96602

Editor's reply (StanLee)

God rest you, soldier.

And God bless you all

(Another message from Editor, Stan Lee appeared in a box below the letter)

As a mark of respect to Corporal St.Clair, and all others who have given the last measure of devotion for their country, we are omitting our usual "coming attractions" paragraph this issue. We prefer, instead, to express the fervent hope that the day will come when men in every land will walk together in peace and brotherhood.

:sorry:

What a powerful few paragraphs.

That just hits ya even though it was over 50 years ago....makes me sad. Those kids were doing what they could to survive and it was nice to see that something as simple as a comic made hell on earth a better place...

Very well put, and thank you too. :applause:

173599760605815907_i47mVAXU_f.jpg

:foryou:

I guess I was replying precisely because the problem was already there in your post, right? ;)

BTW I knew about the Da Nang letter and the Spider-Man Vietnam related letters. I don‘t know where he read about them, but a friend of mine wrote about this about the meaning of the Marvel Age in an article we did (I think the article was about Kirby's Fourth World).

Letter pages are among the best things, that’s a very good reason to collect even single issues of the original publications. :)

BTW I knew about the Da Nang letter and the Spider-Man Vietnam related letters. I don‘t know where he read about them, but a friend of mine wrote about this about the meaning of the Marvel Age in an article we did (I think the article was about Kirby's Fourth World).

Letter pages are among the best things, that’s a very good reason to collect even single issues of the original publications. :)

(thumbs u

This next letter is :screwy:

I personally found it very troubling, and hope the writer sought some kind of help, but I doubt it.

See what you think.

It comes from this issue released 15th March 1962.

I have included the reply for the sake of completion, although it is largely irrelevant.

I HAVE NOT EDITED CONTENT IN ANY WAY

1962SUPES153-1895-1.jpg

Dear Editor:

I would like to express my views on a few things pertaining to your magazine. First, let me state that I had the unfortunate experience to kill a couple of people in the line of duty while overseas as a member of the U.S. Marine Corps. I have also seen many people starving to death. Yet none of this bothers me or is on my conscience. But your recent imaginary story, "The Death of Superman", moved me inside deeply.

I hope this story never occurs in real life; it is terribly disturbing for me to visualize a world where there is no SUPERMAN.

Pvt. M. Maxwell, 3rd Marine Div., Okinawa

The reply

(Marines are supposed to be tough and hardboiled, so when you wax feelingly about our recent Superman novel, we're inclined to accept it as a compliment. However, as we have pointed out over and over in connection with this story, it was only an "Imaginary" story, and we predict a long and healthy lifeline for the Man of Steel.-Ed.)

Edited by Bluetooth

This thread came to mind while going through some of my original owner collection which I've kept stored away in the city. I stumbled onto an old paperback called " Funniest Fan Letters To Batman." I was rushed for time and didn't take it with me, but the next time I'm down there I'll pick it up and see if there is anything good worth contributing in this thread. Here's a few sample letters provided from the link shared above.

Slimbags like Bluetooth obviously prey on the sympathies of good natured people which is classic psychopathic behavior.

If this turdfunnel is actually lying about being a Marine as has been claimed by other forum members then reading all of this Bluetooth post krap is extremely repulsive, especially to those of us who have lost fathers and grandfathers to war.

This POS is lower than whale sh!tt on the bottom of the ocean

Slimbags like Bluetooth obviously prey on the sympathies of good natured people which is classic psychopathic behavior.

If this turdfunnel is actually lying about being a Marine as has been claimed by other forum members then reading all of this Bluetooth post krap is extremely repulsive, especially to those of us who have lost fathers and grandfathers to war.

This POS is lower than whale sh!tt on the bottom of the ocean

Excuse me for asking this, but where does the factual basis for this vitriolic post of your's emmanate from? I'm a relative noob here, and I don't understand the venom behind your words.

Can you take a moment and please provide tangible evidence where Bluetooth represented himself as a USMC and the corresponding proof debunking of it? Was there a thread or two started at the forums on this alleged fabrication?

If your rant is based solely on personal conjecture and speculation, I feel you're doing a diservice coming in and trashing what many here feel is an excellent thread.

I read this entire thread because you bumped it up. I thought this topic was really nice, and yes, it did pull on my heart strings.