• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction?

56 posts in this topic

Supa,

Then this brings up a question that I have that I am sure has been mentioned in here before: Is the thor 193 on ebay worth more simply because it's a pedigree ??

If someone has a book that is.... say, Captain America 100 CGC 9.4 Off White pages - Boston, is it worth more than a regular copy in the same grade and same page quality ??

"If have a book that is say, Captain America 100 CGC 9.4 Off White pages - Boston, is it worth more than a regular copy in the same grade and same page quality ?? "

All things being equal, page quality/ grade/ centering etc. most seasoned collectors would chose the pedigree over the non. Pedigree books usually display newstand fresh inks and come from collections that have been kept in ideal storage conditions. Whether that means they are worth more is debatable these days (with advent of cgc) but they still command a slight premium if they are from known/ verified collectons.

btw, if we're referring to the current WesternPA seller Chris, then yes his books seem to get a premium over other non-pedigree's of the same book listed around the same time. Western PA though is probably one of the cleanest Marvel pedigrees imo..quite possibly one of the nicest too.

Brian

No, I don't have the Capt. America 100 Boston, although it was offered to me by Bechera about a year ago for $700.00 -

I think that the Western PA collection is one of the finest.- Now, to get back on track, is there really a premium paid for Pedigree books that have other copies in the same grade ??

I have never been one to pay more simply for the Pedigree label. Yes, I agree that a book with White pages is worth more than cream, off white, etc...or a book that has notes is not worth as much as a book with no notes....but to pay a higher price for one 9.4 than another is pointless in my opinion. Course, I am also not one of the "obsessed " collectors that have to have "perfect centering", "flawless registration" (whatever the #@@ that means) etc....I just want a high grade 9.4 or higher with white pages.....

Well occasionally there's arguments over if a book is actually such and such a grade..out of the 5 Western PA ASM's I own, it's pretty obvious that the grade given is dead on..gorgeous books, and for that I'd pay a premium.

Btw, Boston Cap's don't get very high premiums due to their being multiple copies of most of the issues in the Boston pedigree. I think there's 3 or more Cap 100 Bostons, either that or the same one keeps getting resubmitted and it's gotten 3 diff grades.

Brian

i would rather my Cap #110 cgc 9.6 owwp boston than a 9.6 owwp or even a white pager. Mine is a beauty and being a pedigree to me makes it a "special" book. Plus of all the Cap books, I think this is the best cover by Steranko with #111 being a close 2nd and #116 is killer too (I think by Colan?).

U should see the 9.8 boston Cap #110. Now that is a stunner.

"I think this is the best cover by Steranko with #111 being a close 2nd and #116 is killer too (I think by Colan?)."

Good call on the cover to Cap #110 gman. Most people seem to prefer the poster style #111, but I think #110 is one of Steranko's best. A killer Hulk in the shadows, would have loved to have seen JS do more work on the green guy, he sure drew an 'incredilbe' Hulk. grin.gif

Yeh I like the 110 as well. 116 is a much better looking cover in person, I bought one and before I saw it in person I thought it was so-so..it's really really nice in person. I also like 113

Brian

"IMHO the Cap 111 is superior to Cap 110 cvr b/c of the higher visual impact due to a stark white background & psychadelic pink swirl design. "

Maybe in it's day #111 had visual impact, but I don't think it holds up too well in comparison to more recent 'poster style' covers. It definately looks more dated than #110 which still has a dynamism about it, even by contempory standards.