• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Story Arc?

38 posts in this topic

This is obscure, but I really liked the Steve Skeates, Jim Aparo (and Nick Cardy?) run of Aquaman issues, like #40-#56, right up to when the series got cancelled and totally left the plot hanging. That was some fantastic, cutting edge stuff they were putting out. Probably the best Aquaman material ever put together (not that that's saying a lot).

The Cosmic Dr. Doom story from 57-60 is just plain awesome. The scene where Dr. Doom meets the Silver Surfer in #57 is amazing, and each panel is still seared in my brain from when I first read it as a teenager in the 80s. Absolutely stunning, gorgeous work from Kirby there. His best, in my opinion.

Sometimes, I think you and I share the same brain. This isn't the first time you've said something that is exactly what I think. 893whatthe.gif

Yes, the Aquaman run is great, with the search for Mera, then the Adams Deadman crossover, then the increasingly experimental stuff from Steve Skeates. Aparo did indeed do all the art (Adams Deadman backups only), with the covers by Cardy.

What about the Teen Titans run of roughly the same period, particularly #25 through #31? Magnificient Nick Cardy art, and trendy relevant-era stories.

Well back In the late 80s there were two gentlemen working at DC, you may have heard of them - Marv Wolfman and George Perez. They did alot of work but maybe the best story Arc from one of the best writer artist teams ever was something called "The Judas Contract" For those who havent, I suggest you do pick up: The New Teen Titans #39 and #40, Tales of the New Teen Titans #41-44 and Annual #3.

Intrigue plot twists, Cults, Deathstroke at his finest and the 1st. app of nightwing, IE they killed Grayson as Robin. Pretty spectacular stuff, I even believe there is a trade. The comics are better as they have the letter pages ETC.

Staying with DC, a gentleman by the name of Alan Moore would take over Saga of the Swamp Thing with issue # 20 and beginning with a story called Anatomy lesson, Issue #21 would in effect set the comic book world on its ear, resurect horror, introduce John Constantine and go a long way to establishing the Vertigo line and the notion that comics werent just for kids anymore.

Some of my fav. Marvel Arcs have already been mentioned by the Zombie faithful. Including Days of Future Past - though I hate the continuity hell that it spawned, it was a brilliant story.

I'd go for Jim Starlin's Warlock storyline ( Strange Tales 178 - 181, Warlock 9 - 15, Avengers Annual 7 and Marvel Two In One Annual 2).

Actually, it's really the Thanos Arc and starts with Iron Man 55/Captain Marvel 25-33 and ends up with MTIO Annual 2.

Well back In the late 80s there were two gentlemen working at DC, you may have heard of them - Marv Wolfman and George Perez. They did alot of work but maybe the best story Arc from one of the best writer artist teams ever was something called "The Judas Contract" For those who havent, I suggest you do pick up: The New Teen Titans #39 and #40, Tales of the New Teen Titans #41-44 and Annual #3.

Intrigue plot twists, Cults, Deathstroke at his finest and the 1st. app of nightwing, IE they killed Grayson as Robin. Pretty spectacular stuff, I even believe there is a trade. The comics are better as they have the letter pages ETC.

Staying with DC, a gentleman by the name of Alan Moore would take over Saga of the Swamp Thing with issue # 20 and beginning with a story called Anatomy lesson, Issue #21 would in effect set the comic book world on its ear, resurect horror, introduce John Constantine and go a long way to establishing the Vertigo line and the notion that comics werent just for kids anymore.

Some of my fav. Marvel Arcs have already been mentioned by the Zombie faithful. Including Days of Future Past - though I hate the continuity hell that it spawned, it was a brilliant story.

The best single comic I've ever read is Swamp Thing 53, the Batman crossover story. The only sale I've ever regretted is my ill-advised, unemployment forced sale of the last page of that book, a stunning full-page Batman splash by Totleben. The MINUTE it was sold I regretted it and I've been looking for it ever since.

I'd go for Jim Starlin's Warlock storyline ( Strange Tales 178 - 181, Warlock 9 - 15, Avengers Annual 7 and Marvel Two In One Annual 2).

Actually, it's really the Thanos Arc and starts with Iron Man 55/Captain Marvel 25-33 and ends up with MTIO Annual 2.

Well, you would say that.....

The Cosmic Dr. Doom story from 57-60 is just plain awesome. The scene where Dr. Doom meets the Silver Surfer in #57 is amazing, and each panel is still seared in my brain from when I first read it as a teenager in the 80s. Absolutely stunning, gorgeous work from Kirby there. His best, in my opinion.

Sometimes, I think you and I share the same brain. This isn't the first time you've said something that is exactly what I think. 893whatthe.gif

Chris, if I had a dollar bill for every time I've had the same thought about one of your posts, I'd be the most popular guy at the local strip joint. thumbsup2.gif

Let me begin by saying that I AM NOT A DC FAN. Let me end by saying that the one DC story arc that wasn't written by Frank Miller that is my absolute favorite is the Judas Contract. Oustanding stuff, and for a DC hater (except for Frank Miller's Batman and the Death of Superman issue that brought a tear even to my own cynical eye), that's saying something.

One book that I don't think anyone will mention and that has been largely forgotten is the "Books of Magic" DC miniseries by Neil Gaiman and John Bolton (yes, painted comics 893applaud-thumb.gif) that will make you think that J.K. Rowling is a plagiarist. Wonderful, wonderful comics. Loved it. You must read it if you haven't already.

One book that I don't think anyone will mention and that has been largely forgotten is the "Books of Magic" DC miniseries by Neil Gaiman and John Bolton (yes, painted comics 893applaud-thumb.gif) that will make you think that J.K. Rowling is a plagiarist. Wonderful, wonderful comics. Loved it. You must read it if you haven't already.

No question that Rowling is a plagiarist - Books Of Magic was a blatant source.

Say, FFB, haven't you read Preacher? It's been mentioned often enough on these boards, but it's worth repeating - I could easily read the entire saga (1-66) in one go. Great entertainment.

Several people on the boards (you included, at one point) recommended that I buy the Preacher TPBs. At the WonderCon forum dinner, Steve Borock basically insisted that I buy the first TPB. To put it mildly, he was deeply offended that I hadn't read it yet and when he demanded that I read it immediately, he would not take "maybe" for an answer.

So I did read it. I bought the Vol. 1 TPB and read it straight through. It was great and I am not ashamed to admit that. I have all of the rest of the TPBs sitting here waiting to be read, thanks to ... guess who ... yes ... TPB KING!!!

God bless you, TPB King!

Several people on the boards (you included, at one point) recommended that I buy the Preacher TPBs. At the WonderCon forum dinner, Steve Borock basically insisted that I buy the first TPB. To put it mildly, he was deeply offended that I hadn't read it yet and when he demanded that I read it immediately, he would not take "maybe" for an answer.

So I did read it. I bought the Vol. 1 TPB and read it straight through. It was great and I am not ashamed to admit that. I have all of the rest of the TPBs sitting here waiting to be read, thanks to ... guess who ... yes ... TPB KING!!!

God bless you, TPB King!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Hang onto your seat, Scott. It just gets better! Awesome series!

I thoroughly recognize that this was not the best storyarc every, but it is my favorite:

Infinity Gauntlet #1-6

(also liked Starlin's first Captain Marvel and Warlock runs).

As for DC's, I'll say A Death in the Family was one of the great Batman arcs (okay, so this is heavily DAM influenced).