• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you take your CGC grades personally?

29 posts in this topic

as long as it comes back 9.8 or higher, I'm happy... otherwise, I'm selling it anyway so I don't lose sleep over it...

Sounds like somebody trying to be at least a 3.9 student. Probably had very strict parents who would be disappointed with anything less.

3.9 is pretty close gossip.gif AS for the "strict parents...", that's pretty easy...what Asian kid didn't/doesn't have them... I play the piano, was pre-med, Bio major, perfect Math SATs; AP/ Advanced Math all my life... I fit the stereotypes to a tee... foreheadslap.gif

All those brains and you still don't like silver age Marvels. foreheadslap.gif What a waste, man!!! What a WASTE!!!!!

I hope you cure cancer some day because on the comic book front, you are very disappointing to me. 893naughty-thumb.gif

sorry.gif Dad, is that you? I'll do better... I swear... whoa, flashbacks tongue.gif ... You know, I could always try to get into law? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually , I do like my Silver Age Marvels... where they belong in my Marvel Essentials or Masterworks tongue.gif I do have some Silver Age readers, but I usually sell them off to guys who want readers; I can't justify in my mind spending the big $$$ for the high grades which someone else will always have a better copy of (because I will never have the chance or opportunity to play with the BSDs on these older books), and for stories that I can't relate to because I was born too late? With moderns, I love to read them off the shelves every week or go back to the late Bronze and on thru today and as a lesser aside, I am happy knowing that I could have the highest graded copy thus far on the census, even for a fleeting time and longer if it is a 10.0...

I know what you mean. I ALWAYS start to sweat. I am normally sending to flip so I see dollar signs either large or small. Sometimes I feel like a loser when I want a book for my 9.4 collection and it comes back a 9.2. I have to sell it and start again for the same book. This can really be a frustrating hobby. boo.gif

If you think a book is nice enough for your collection, who cares what CGC thinks? The guys at CGC are excellent graders and they definitely know their stuff, but how does their opinion suddenly turn a book that was "nice enough for your collection" before submission into a "get that piece of [!@#%^&^] away from me" just because CGC gave it a 9.2????? The book is either nice enough for you or it isn't. I think the guys at CGC are solid, but I would never let them dictate for me whether or not a book was nice enough for my collection, and more to the point, I don't think that any of them would want that either. Their grades are an OPINION.

As a seller and collector, FFB, CGC's third party opinion validates my own grading for me and helps in my decision whether this is a book I will place on the eBay auction block or keep in my personal collection. I think we should also consider the genres we collect. With moderns, it is RELATIVELY tougher to come up with 9.8s and up (especially with the latest batch of the worst beat up crepe I've seen come off the shelves in months foreheadslap.gif893frustrated.gif ) than it is for older books. I think I have the luxury as a modern collector to opt to spend money on high grades vs. the more common reader copies, which for moderns is 9.6 and below.

That's all. If you think the book is nice enough for your collection, then who cares what CGC gives it????

I agree...as I said the label helps me determine if it is sellable.

And what if CGC gives your book a 9.6, but it sustains slab damage in the mail on the way to you? Do you bounce the book from your collection, or happily place it in the box with its banged up corner because you have the 9.6 label? Are you collecting comic books or labels fer chrissakes? 893naughty-thumb.gif

I hear this often and in the many books I've submitted to CGC, I've never gotten back a dinged corner or folded overhang due to the missing wedge or loose book in well, so I have yet to experience this. Maybe this is a Comic Age thing? would I bounce the book from my collection? I'd see if CGC can compensate somehow if they are to blame or get the insured value for the book.

I collect comic books primarily - it doesn't matter if something is a 9.8 or 9.6, I want to see them side by side in hand so I can make the comparison and decide which one goes into the collection and which one gets sold to cover the cost of the keeper. The label is there as an aid in the decision making process. I find myself paying more attention to QP on slabbed books than before because of this board. I also start noticing if there is possible shipping related damage to books from other sellers.

I have to say that a few of you guys picking on Darth for only collecting 9.8s or 9.6s is ridiculous and totally uncool. Obviously he likes his Bronze and Modern books practically flawless. What in the world is wrong with that? And collecting labels, not comics? Really, that's not too nice either guys. The label just validates the grade (in their opinion). But if I say 9.8, but CGC says 9.6, I can disagree, or more likely I may have missed something. So I can certainly understand discarding unwanted grades. But most of all, why bother the guy for just wanting to keep the top tier? That's like an FF collector trying to put together a 9.0 and up collection and brushing off an 8.0 because it didn't fit in his collection. You guys wouldn't give THIS guy such a hard time. Hey, everybody has their own interests in comics regarding content and grade. To each his own. Don't critisize or accuse others that don't see things the way you do. You Go Darth. Don't let these guys make you feel as if you are doing something wrong. ------Sid

I'm just grateful CGC exits, period. I started collecting in the '80s, and since there was no such beast, I was always stuck with dealers trying to charge NM prices for ablsoute rags of Silver and GOLD - just because they had a copy and knew you wanted the book, they felt like stinging you with the biggest number in Overstreet.

Most of those sphincters have long since gone out of business, but they were a pain while they lasted. A CGC grade on eBay lets me know [pretty much] what I'm getting. It has also helped me become a better grader by way of comparing my grades to theirs.

Finally, I have the option of having some books slabbed before I sell 'em on eBay. I sell most of mine raw, and have had ZERO complaints on grading. However, for high-dollar Silver, I slab them for the assurance of the buyer. I'm not saying CGC is perfect, just that it has done me some good.

cool.gif

I have to say that a few of you guys picking on Darth for only collecting 9.8s or 9.6s is ridiculous and totally uncool. Obviously he likes his Bronze and Modern books practically flawless. What in the world is wrong with that? And collecting labels, not comics? Really, that's not too nice either guys. The label just validates the grade (in their opinion). But if I say 9.8, but CGC says 9.6, I can disagree, or more likely I may have missed something. So I can certainly understand discarding unwanted grades. But most of all, why bother the guy for just wanting to keep the top tier? That's like an FF collector trying to put together a 9.0 and up collection and brushing off an 8.0 because it didn't fit in his collection. You guys wouldn't give THIS guy such a hard time. Hey, everybody has their own interests in comics regarding content and grade. To each his own. Don't critisize or accuse others that don't see things the way you do. You Go Darth. Don't let these guys make you feel as if you are doing something wrong. ------Sid

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Well said, Sid.

If you think a book is nice enough for your collection, who cares what CGC thinks? The guys at CGC are excellent graders and they definitely know their stuff, but how does their opinion suddenly turn a book that was "nice enough for your collection" before submission into a "get that piece of [!@#%^&^] away from me" just because CGC gave it a 9.2????? The book is either nice enough for you or it isn't. I think the guys at CGC are solid, but I would never let them dictate for me whether or not a book was nice enough for my collection, and more to the point, I don't think that any of them would want that either. Their grades are an OPINION. That's all. If you think the book is nice enough for your collection, then who cares what CGC gives it???? And what if CGC gives your book a 9.6, but it sustains slab damage in the mail on the way to you? Do you bounce the book from your collection, or happily place it in the box with its banged up corner because you have the 9.6 label? Are you collecting comic books or labels fer chrissakes? 893naughty-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

In my defense, I have reading copies of all the books I have graded. I believe that CGC has created a 2nd type of collection. If I have a Iron Fist run of all 9.4 and I get a 9.2 back, yes I will sell it. I don;t want it for THAT collection. What is the problem with that. I collect books as well as labels I guess. It is a hobby that I find fun. Is it what you do...maybe not, but I still find it fun. It has added a new "thing" for me to collect. confused.gif