• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Easter Color ASM 42 revealed

68 posts in this topic

There only one way to settle this. Pics and a poll.

Pics and a poll.

Sounds like a MC Hammer song.

If the trim is spotting, leave it alone for at least four days.

Or, you can MANUP :boo:

There's also this butthurt thing I keep hearing about hm

Big talk on a comic chat board. I'm guessing real life is more of a do it yourself project.

If the trim is spotting, leave it alone for at least four days.

Or, you can MANUP :boo:

There's also this butthurt thing I keep hearing about hm

Big talk on a comic chat board. I'm guessing real life is more of a do it yourself project.

Given his frequency of posting, the boards are his real life.

Webhead, I'm glad to see that your book came back with a grade that makes you happy. I'm also glad to read that you paid just $40 for the book. And, of course, you are more than free to believe whatever you want to believe.

However, as the saying goes, you may be entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. And the fact is it is well documented that any and all "Eastern File Copies" with that same stamp are a fraud that was originally perpetuated by Danny Dupchek. I'm sure you saw all the links in the older thread that you mentioned, so I won't bother to go digging them all up now.

In your post at the start of this thread you somewhat rhetorically asked, "Why some insufficiently_thoughtful_person would tamper with a Near Mint book is a mystery." The thing is, it is no mystery at all--it was all part of Danny's M.O for the con. First, the book likely wasn't NM. He would take nice books, likely in the VF range, and do exactly what was done to this book--color touch and trim. Then, he'd stamp them with his fake stamp. Then he'd advertise and sell them as untouched MINT file copies from the fictional warehouse find that he created.

The fact is boardies saw the stamp and immediately knew that the book would come back plod. What's important here is every board member should always be aware of two simple facts: 1) Eastern File copies are a fraud, 2) 99% of so-called Eastern File Copies will come back PLOD, as predicted for and shown by this copy, because that was a key part of the fraud.

Paying $40 for the copy you own, no problem. But if someone were to pay anything close to FMV at NM, they would be getting ripped off big time. It is irresponsible to encourage others to believe that any Eastern File Copy can be anything other than PLOD and a fraud.

This is correct. Marvel Eastern File Copies are fabricated.

Also, when a book is determined to be Professional or Amateur it is based on the materials used for the restoration, not the specific individual doing the procedure.

Funny post from that thread:

I am REAL good at spotting trimmed books.

With using a scan only( can't have it in hand, obviously), I say that it is NOT trimmed.

CAL :busy:

I just caught this a minute ago, and fail to see any humor.

Without being in my office to check my notes, I can recall a TTA Ant man issue that I told Blow Up the Moon that I felt was trimmed. He bought it anyway, and it came back CGC 8.5 PLOD "trimmed".

The dimensions for the Age covers can be found. Make a template and measure EACH raw comic you get. You would be surprised at how many comics get "trimmed" to get rid of the overhangs.

As far as CGC Graders: they CAN spot partial trims, just by merely looking at any comic book. Some restorers try to trim an inch or two, over the real obvious overhangs, and gamble that they will get a VF/NM 9.0. They probably already gambled with "test" comics trying to get NM 9.4, but got PLODS 9.2, or something close thereof.

Once you handle a few hundred thousand comics personally, you will be able to spot trimming too.

CAL who hates water stains the worst, followed by trimmed comics.

Funny post from that thread:

I am REAL good at spotting trimmed books.

With using a scan only( can't have it in hand, obviously), I say that it is NOT trimmed.

CAL :busy:

I just caught this a minute ago, and fail to see any humor.

Without being in my office to check my notes, I can recall a TTA Ant man issue that I told Blow Up the Moon that I felt was trimmed. He bought it anyway, and it came back CGC 8.5 PLOD "trimmed".

The dimensions for the Age covers can be found. Make a template and measure EACH raw comic you get. You would be surprised at how many comics get "trimmed" to get rid of the overhangs.

As far as CGC Graders: they CAN spot partial trims, just by merely looking at any comic book. Some restorers try to trim an inch or two, over the real obvious overhangs, and gamble that they will get a VF/NM 9.0. They probably already gambled with "test" comics trying to get NM 9.4, but got PLODS 9.2, or something close thereof.

Once you handle a few hundred thousand comics personally, you will be able to spot trimming too.

CAL who hates water stains the worst, followed by trimmed comics.

An inch or two?!? - now that would be obvious, even to me....,

lizards2, who senses small disruptions in the force...., :cool:

A sliver that measures 1/32" by 1".

Trimming the TOP or bottom of a comic; the sides are harder to get past CGC.

CAL who thought others would not understand my post.