• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's the most underated Marvel Silver Age Artist???

46 posts in this topic

Gene "The Dean" Colan -- another of my favorites. His early Captain America, Sub-mariner and DD work we some of the best of the late 60's. You can't go wrong with any of his stuff.

You betcha. But just to get away from the later stuff, and yes I have posted this cover before, this is on e of my all time favorite Gene Colan covers. The scan is form the book in my collection. It is pretty nice!

menace9.jpg

Wow! If you had'nt told me it was Colan I would have never guess it. What's the year on this? It's got to be one of his earliest.

BTW, what does that Date Stamp say? I collect date stamps.

I most wholeheartedly agree with Gene Colan, his DD's are vastly underrated. And I'm always pleasantly surpised when I pick up a Don Heck book. Completely unacknowledged, was Frank Springer, who picked up Nick Fury when Steranko jumped ship on the title -- Go pick up a copy of NF #7 (the Steranko/Daliesque cover). Frank's art is huge, considering he was following, and albeit imitating, the master auteur. popcorn.gif

BTW, what does that Date Stamp say? I collect date stamps.

Ack! I think I got that scan from a web site of pre-code horror covers. I remember copying it to my server a year ro two ago as a reminder and incentive to GET one. Sorry - this is mine - and no date stamp. Just scanned it. foreheadslap.gif

But I DO agree about, especially, pre-code/ga date stamps. Really like them - they can tell much.The indicia says "HERCULES PUBLISHING" - gotta love Atlas -January 1954.

BTW - the date stamp is November and apparantly a single digit number - since this was Jan '54 book it has to be Nov '53.

menacemine9.jpg

George Tuska -- People like to hate Tuska but I, for one, like his stuff. Very tight -- not flash -- always consistent. I have a few pages of his and several original sketches.

I loved Tuska's work on Luke Cage when I was a kid. It had a kind of "jailhouse art" look that was perfect for the title. The only other time I was compelled to buy the title was when Corben did the mini series a couple of years back - some of Corben's finest work, and Azzarello's writing was top notch as well.

George Tuska had some great covers - see the Iron Man #5-10 he did with Johnny Craig -- classic Silver Age Stuff, but the interior art always looked rushed and unfinished. Some of the later IM stuff he did was just plain bad. hi.gif

There's another Artist I forgot, how could I?? Joe Maneely,not mentioned very often, but WOW!!! Great artwork in his Atlas days. Alter Ego had a issue about his life a little while back ,check it out ,guys,if you get a chance,very well done.

Maybe Pov can share some knowledge on him on these boards,as he collects Atlas, How about it Pov.???

Ok here are a few Gene Colan, Ross Andru, Jim Mooney, Dan Adkins, Val Mayerik Dan Adkins especially has a very clean style almost Wally Wood like and the majority if the art I see from him is usually extremely affordable. Gene Colans stuff especially the Tomb of Dracula with Tom Palmers inks over it is way underrated and I pick up pages all the time for a fraction of what any Kirby, Ditko, John Buscema, Gil Kane piece would cost.

How can people say that Gene Colan is underrated ?! - He's considered one of the masters of the Silver Age and his orignal art is quite expensive...and not to mention that his books are highly sought after...people will buy a comic cause it's got Colan cover...

I think Busecma is another one that is considered one of the best....Silver Surfer 4 anyone ??! -

These guys , along with Kirby, Adams, Steranko, Infantino and Romita are top notch.

Tuska, i think , is a great example of an artist that is underrated. I also think that Andru is a good example. Frank Brunner did some great stuff. - Sevrin is also on that list.

How can people say that Gene Colan is underrated ?! - He's considered one of the masters of the Silver Age and his orignal art is quite expensive...and not to mention that his books are highly sought after...people will buy a comic cause it's got Colan cover...

I think Busecma is another one that is considered one of the best....Silver Surfer 4 anyone ??! -

These guys , along with Kirby, Adams, Steranko, Infantino and Romita are top notch.

Tuska, i think , is a great example of an artist that is underrated. I also think that Andru is a good example. Frank Brunner did some great stuff. - Sevrin is also on that list.

I'll agree with you that Colan is not underrated... for his Bronze Age stuff -- TOD particularly. However, I think a lot of his late Silver Age stuff is simply overlooked.

As for John Buscema... he's one of my all time favs (look at my avatar). I have some of his pages and roughs. Even his roughs look almost effortless.

Brunner is another great guy but I don't think he fits the Silver Age criteria. Most of his stuff is '70s.

I am pretty sure Marie Severin did the pencils for that Tales to Astonish # 93 where the Hulk vs. Silver Surfer battle took place. She did an excellent job as I think that the Surfer is hard and tricky to draw( unqualified non-artist opinion here). I like to think that the Hulk is easy to draw, but maybe I am not accurate here.

The big-name when I was collecting and reading comics during the 1960's - 1970's was Jack( King) Kirby and he rightfully established himself as the top artist of his medium( comic books) and not too many dissented with his place as far as I know. John Buscema was very underrated and he sort of was in Kirby's shadow. Buscema did well w/ Avengers, Surfer, but really got attention with Conan. Gene Colan was overlooked at first, as he was the artist of my pet comic the Iron Man/Subby one-shot. I liked him then, but I can recall my friends saying that they did not think Colan was that good. Then Colan did those Daredevils, and the # 37 cover sticks out( Dr Doom black background) and later he drew the ENTIRE Tomb of Dracula - all 70 issues. he was outstanding with that series. I guess in a baseball batting lineup you could say Kirby was # 3, w/ Buscema the # 4 clean-up guy, but when Kirby bolted to DC, Buscema was "pitched around".

They all were good or no publisher would have hired any of them. We realize that now as adults. But comparisons are always made, being products of a competitive society that we are. Who is the best Baseball player? Best NFL Coach? Best Hockey player? Best Golfer? Best boxer? Best Architect? Best Pilot? Best Jockey? Best Tennis player? Best Rock band? Top TV sitcom? Best beer? Best looking girl?( if any girl is half-way decent looking I don't care about comparing her - I am gonna look at them ALL) The list goes on and on and on...

Life can be unfair. Talent often goes unrecognized. Stereotypes and preconceived notions and hearsay and other forces are working too. I have a Marble collector book that discusses this big showdown between this hot-shot girl that possibly was the best ( for her age and class) during her time - the Marble makers just could not stand for this upstart underdog but capable female to whup on the boys -she eventually lost to the champ in some type of "final", but there was plenty of talk on how she needed to lose somehow someway to keep the "sport" male dominated and not "sissyfied" to harm the Industry. She was talented, but discouraged, and eventually dropped out of the sport.

That was sort of an extreme example of how life can be unfair, but it was unfair to knock other artists like I seen Herb Trimpe blasted on other Forums as he was a capable artist during his time. OK so some comic fans did not like him. He must have had some talent like I said, or he would not have worked at all in the Industry.

Gotta go.

Rant over. sign-rantpost.gif

CAL grin.gif

That was sort of an extreme example of how life can be unfair, but it was unfair to knock other artists like I seen Herb Trimpe blasted on other Forums as he was a capable artist during his time. OK so some comic fans did not like him. He must have had some talent like I said, or he would not have worked at all in the Industry.

I think Trimpe was great until he chaged his style to this:

trimpe.jpg

The change was a major mistake and some of reason he gets singled out....

Jim

Unfortunately many artists had to adapt their styles to get work . Most publishers seem to want Image style inked art now. Trimpe is not the only one to do so , plus I think the inkers do their part in a totally different style now and the high quality paper and digital coloring all play a part. (this is not an excuse as for my 2 cents I prefer the Marvel House style art from the 1970's over what is currently being out out)

Unfortunately many artists had to adapt their styles to get work

I am glad I am not the only one who knew that.

SILVER AGE ARTISTS RULE!!! acclaim.gif

CAL cool.gif

Unfortunately many artists had to adapt their styles to get work

I am glad I am not the only one who knew that.

SILVER AGE ARTISTS RULE!!! acclaim.gif

CAL cool.gif

Well, yes, but what about Frank Frazetta (for example)? It would be most unwise to suggest that one era or company is better than another. makepoint.gif

Well, yes, but what about Frank Frazetta (for example)? It would be most unwise to suggest that one era or company is better than another

Of course I understand the Frazetta work and know more about him that I let on. I understand how the comic books "evolved" into the big-boobed broads, Leifeild Captain America, etc. McFarlane's Spawn, and he let Greg Capullo take over( very capable replacement IMO).

It is most unwise to suggest ALL eras or company is one large conglomerate of a body of "production"( all comics ever printed). Let's face it - the music industry caters to the demographics of WHO and WHAT is going to buy their products - the age group of the 1960's bought the Beatles, Stones, Elvis, etc. Now it is Brittany, Justin, Rickey Martin, etc. I would not waste one second on the aforementioned. But my 2 daughter, 2 nieces in early 20's? They spend almost every dime they get( from Uncle Jack) on this "noise". Movies? They cater to the young. Autos? They cater to both the working class AND the elite( Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc). Comic books by any means were NOT immune to the marketing of a demographic group: teenage boys for the most part. Mille the Model was I think an attempt to get the girls to read comic books - I never saw Millie fly w/ boots and fire cosmic blasts at Veronica of Archie fame. Oh, I am not dissing Wonder Woman, but I think she still had a larger male following( and I used to live near the REAL Wonder Woman Lynda Carter and she is stunning and extremely tall and larger than I ever dreamed of).

I grew up w/ those Silver Age Marvel Superheroes in the 1960's. I am forever loyal to them. Period. My son? He loves Witchblade and we all know why a 20-something male likes that. He thinks Subby is a joke - he cannot relate. he tolerates iron man because of me. he does, however, like Spidey.

Yes, it is not a matter of being "wise" or "unwise" to suggest that one era or company is better than another. That is the way our Society works - age groups and like that "old kook" you see on a hot blistering Sunday playing Tennis with the younger whipper-snappers - the old guy runs out of gas first, looks like a pregnant duck chasing the ball, and the young guys tolerate him because he is either a: relative, co-worker, or a sponsor. He always buys the beer afterwards. The young girls googling at the young Adonises in their 20's - they laugh at this old kook. The old kook is smarter, makes more than all the others combined, drives the best car(s), manor home is paid for, but the young girls are going to "be with" the young Adonises. You are where you "fit in". I fit in the SILVER AGE!!! Nothing else will do!

Iron Man/Subby( 1968 G Colan) CAL acclaim.gif

Well, yes, but what about Frank Frazetta (for example)? It would be most unwise to suggest that one era or company is better than another

Of course I understand the Frazetta work and know more about him that I let on. I understand how the comic books "evolved" into the big-boobed broads, Leifeild Captain America, etc. McFarlane's Spawn, and he let Greg Capullo take over( very capable replacement IMO).

It is most unwise to suggest ALL eras or company is one large conglomerate of a body of "production"( all comics ever printed). Let's face it - the music industry caters to the demographics of WHO and WHAT is going to buy their products - the age group of the 1960's bought the Beatles, Stones, Elvis, etc. Now it is Brittany, Justin, Rickey Martin, etc. I would not waste one second on the aforementioned. But my 2 daughter, 2 nieces in early 20's? They spend almost every dime they get( from Uncle Jack) on this "noise". Movies? They cater to the young. Autos? They cater to both the working class AND the elite( Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc). Comic books by any means were NOT immune to the marketing of a demographic group: teenage boys for the most part. Mille the Model was I think an attempt to get the girls to read comic books - I never saw Millie fly w/ boots and fire cosmic blasts at Veronica of Archie fame. Oh, I am not dissing Wonder Woman, but I think she still had a larger male following( and I used to live near the REAL Wonder Woman Lynda Carter and she is stunning and extremely tall and larger than I ever dreamed of).

I grew up w/ those Silver Age Marvel Superheroes in the 1960's. I am forever loyal to them. Period. My son? He loves Witchblade and we all know why a 20-something male likes that. He thinks Subby is a joke - he cannot relate. he tolerates iron man because of me. he does, however, like Spidey.

Yes, it is not a matter of being "wise" or "unwise" to suggest that one era or company is better than another. That is the way our Society works - age groups and like that "old kook" you see on a hot blistering Sunday playing Tennis with the younger whipper-snappers - the old guy runs out of gas first, looks like a pregnant duck chasing the ball, and the young guys tolerate him because he is either a: relative, co-worker, or a sponsor. He always buys the beer afterwards. The young girls googling at the young Adonises in their 20's - they laugh at this old kook. The old kook is smarter, makes more than all the others combined, drives the best car(s), manor home is paid for, but the young girls are going to "be with" the young Adonises. You are where you "fit in". I fit in the SILVER AGE!!! Nothing else will do!

Googling?