• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

No, Come on, techvoodoo should get to claim... :eyeroll:

I get why Mr Wiggles may be slightly put off. I at first thought the same thing, why not just claim one of Mr. Wiggles random items and then put something up to get it going again but as techvoodoo pointed out, that would prevent him from getting to play again and would kinda be a double wammy for his nice gesture so I appreciate techvoodoo stepping up to get the ball rolling again and think we should just keep it moving and continue the fun. (thumbs u

But you have to admit, it was kind of a diiick move basically saying the previous offer wasn't good enough. You may see it as a nice gesture, others may see it as belittling the previous poster.

Wasn't the whole point of this thread to "PAY IT FORWARD"?? regardless of perceived value or desire? It just seems that some people want the bar raised higher and higher, which is totally against the original point of this thread :(

I get it, you are technically right. But is enforcing the rules and being technically right so important in a situation where someone was just doing a good deed to get the ball rolling again(witch it quickly did).

Who gets to define what is "good"? The rules are there for a reason.

I guess I would just consider the intentions and motivations of the "accused" in most situations and wouldn't be so quick to enforce a rule that in this case does more harm then good.

I would argue that skipping someone does more harm then good. Allow me to elaborate assuming it is the future and my turn to make an offer.

What is my motivation to mix it up now? I can just let my first offer sit and wait for someone to claim or skip me.

What is to stop me from claiming something every 7 days (or 24 hour gap) knowing that someone skipping me is perfectly acceptable and just wait for that person to do so (or of course they could claim my offer that I have no incentive to switch up).

These are standard issues of the Free-Rider Theorem (Problem) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_rider_problem

Not all rules are met to be enforced the same way at all times. It's like the difference between dealing with a reasonable cop and an ahole who just wants to "enforce" despite the situation.

Thanks for equivocating me to "an ahole"...

Everyone has the ability to keep a thread moving anytime there is an offer on the table (assuming the 7 days/24 hour rule is not currently stopping them). By giving a pass to anyone to avoid the rules in place, a precedent is set that leads to exactly what I outlined above.

I didn't "skip you/your turn" to be clear. Your turn lasted 9 days. We gotta draw a line somewhere, in my opinion. And I don't want to have to brow beat you into changing up your offer every 24 hours, I thought this was a much better solution. Clearly you're upset. I said I'm sorry, twice. Not much else I can do.

I didn't "skip you/your turn" to be clear. Your turn lasted 9 days. We gotta draw a line somewhere, in my opinion. And I don't want to have to brow beat you into changing up your offer every 24 hours, I thought this was a much better solution. Clearly you're upset. I said I'm sorry, twice. Not much else I can do.

This was not the first time that an offer was on the table for 9 days or more. The problem here was that you took it upon yourself to basically trash his items as not being worth taking, and declaring that you would not be held to the 7 day rule. Would have just been easier to take one of the items and be out of the rotation for 7 days then basically go against the spirit of the thread. (shrug)

Mr Wiggles, I didn't mean to equate you to an ahole and I see how it looks like that so I apologize...

Mr Wiggles offers were fine, he was even gracious enough to comeback more than once and put up different options to choose from but the thread had come to a halt over several days so someone did something to get it moving again. I don't see that being a dig at Mr Wiggles or a judgement on the value. Again, I thought the options were just fine but there was just no movement.

Anyway, I don't want to fill the thread with this. Tech' has apologized and even offered to go ahead and wait the 7 days so I guess all is good.

Let's just keep it moving and have fun? :foryou:

Joe, this isn't the first time "I've taken one for the team" in this thread. I've claimed some stuff I legitimately didn't want because the thread stagnated for a fairly long period. This is the 3rd time actually, if I recall correctly. The other times I just took the item and waited a week.

I want to see the thread keep moving, because it's fun. I enjoy giving things away much more than getting things, but after doing this 2 times already to just keep it moving, I'd kinda like a chance at getting something I want as well. I wish some other people would just step up and claim stuff.

I didn't think this would be a big deal. It doesn't matter though, I'll wait the week. I'd have probably had to wait another week anyway at the rate this was going.

I don't want this thread to get mired in argument and debate again, so I'm going to propose a solution to the present quandary. TechVoodoo and I have had dealings before via this thread, and so have Mr. Wiggles and I. As I've stated before, I think Mr. Wiggles is great at seeing his offers not moving and offering something else. In addition, TechVoodoo is always more than willing to snag an item just to keep this thread going and his offers are excellent in return. I don't think TechVoodoo meant any offense, but I understand why Mr. Wiggles sees a problem with Tech's action and because of the rules. I do agree that many in this thread think this is a free gold mine waiting to happen, but that wasn't and isn't the point of this thread.

I propose this:

Tony, if you will ship this item to an address I provide you with (and I'll pay if you'd like), which will be Akron Children's Hospital here in Ohio:

Are action figures allowed?

If so, pick a figure option:

Lex Luthor DC Direct Series 5:

gxeCYma.jpg

then Guy, will you wait the required 7 days/24 hours before claiming anything?

If this isn't acceptable, please PM me, gentlemen.

And here's the current offer:

Our Army at War #245 VF/VF+ Don Rosa Pedigree--comes with certificate

Shipped anywhere :)

cgc0609015.jpg

I didn't "skip you/your turn" to be clear. Your turn lasted 9 days. We gotta draw a line somewhere, in my opinion.

The word "skip" is being used in context of CBG vocalizing that you shouldn't have to sit out. If you don't sit out the term is used correctly.

And I don't want to have to brow beat you into changing up your offer every 24 hours, I thought this was a much better solution.

Changing an offer every 24 hours isn't actually a rule. It isn't required; it is a courtesy to keep the thread moving (among other things). Not sure when those of you that attempt to enforce this decided it was required. Again, it isn't.

Clearly you're upset. I said I'm sorry, twice. Not much else I can do.

I'm not upset. I'm just aware of the list of rules in this thread and the system that is created when those rules are breached (as outlined in my response to CBG). If those rules are not ignored - I'm just fine.

In the future you might want to wait longer than 38 minutes for a response to a question posed to the community that participates in this thread. Maybe wait for an actual response or three. Or just claim something and follow the system put in place without attempting to bypass any of the rules. These are things you can do moving forward.

I propose this:

Tony, if you will ship this item to an address I provide you with (and I'll pay if you'd like), which will be Akron Children's Hospital here in Ohio

100% fine with this (and no need to pay, that's my job ;P). If Tech is fine with it just hit me up in PM with the address.

Guy has already express his willingness in the thread to wait the required time frame, so I think we're good on that front. Just confirm for us under the current circumstances, Tech.

Tony, I've PM'd you the address already. My twelve year old son spent time in this hospital eleven years ago, and they saved his life. I can't thank you enough.

Guy has already express his willingness in the thread to wait the required time frame, so I think we're good on that front. Just confirm for us under the current circumstances, Tech.

Tony, I've PM'd you the address already. My twelve year old son spent time in this hospital eleven years ago, and they saved his life. I can't thank you enough.

Ya your proposal was fine. I had suggested donating the items I wasn't receiving to kids or sending the comics to soldiers over seas to read, whatever you want is fine.

Ya your proposal was fine. I had suggested donating the items I wasn't receiving to kids or sending the comics to soldiers over seas to read, whatever you want is fine.

Thanks, Tech. Then, assuming the viewing audience is satisfied, here's the current offer:

Our Army at War #245 VF/VF+ Don Rosa Pedigree--comes with certificate

Shipped anywhere :)

cgc0609015.jpg