• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

In case people aren't seeing the picture well, it might be of interest to some that the current offer, a signed Marvel Fanfare #3, features an X-Men story by the classic X-Men team of Claremont and Cockrum (Bob McLeod, who signed it, is the inker). It's very cool for any X-fan who hasn't read it. (thumbs u

OK, time to move on. A Marvel Fanfare #1 signed by McLeod is a cool book (McLeod is an amazing inker and deserves his own praise as many authors would have not "rendered" the same way without him), and I even miss it, so if Mkkiller has no problem in sending it to Italy…

:takeit:

But he’ll have to scan the WW2 story in that Whiz Comics donated by Crimebuster for me since he literally snatched it under my eyes… :baiting:lol

I’ll try to come up with a lightweight offer so I can make it available to US guys, which are the majority, and not spend a fortune on shipping… :(

OK, time to move on. A Marvel Fanfare #1 signed by McLeod is a cool book (McLeod is an amazing inker and deserves his own praise as many authors would have not "rendered" the same way without him), and I even miss it, so if Mkkiller has no problem in sending it to Italy…

:takeit:

But he’ll have to scan the WW2 story in that Whiz Comics donated by Crimebuster for me since he literally snatched it under my eyes… :baiting:lol

I’ll try to come up with a lightweight offer so I can make it available to US guys, which are the majority, and not spend a fortune on shipping… :(

^^ ^^ Chicken Dinnah

OK, here’s my offer.

Two books, and I will cover shipping to the USA as well:

Hulk #126 - First appearance of Barbara Norriss, which later would become the Valkyrie, and third chapter of the trilogy of stories (preceeded Dr. Strange #183 and Sub-Mariner #22) which would have eventually led to the birth of the Defenders:

krmm3WYh.jpg

Captain Marvel #32 - Origin of Drax the Destroyer, penultimate chapter of Jim Starlin’s Thanos saga

LbV90Zgh.jpg

Both in the VG/F to F- range because of defects which bring down the grades (a popped staple in the centerfold for the Hulk and a minor tape pull on the cover, on Cap’s knee).

If one wants also these two, I will offer the four books but the taker will pay the price difference for the shipping (I’ll pay the first $10, that’s because with four books will very likely be more):

Thor #165 - First full appearance of "Him" (Adam Warlock) in G- condition (graded by Gary Dolgoff):

zhVVJwPh.jpg

Thor (Editoriale Corno) #64 - Italian edition of the above in the VG/F range:

FWHHBSAh.jpg

Thor #165 - First full appearance of "Him" (Adam Warlock) in G- condition (graded by Gary Dolgoff):

I live 20 minutes from his warehouse! :grin:

I <3 Gary. If not for him, I’d probably never become an assiduous collector of comics in original edition. He always managed to find you costly issues in very low grades, so you can afford them. I got most of my collection shipped surface from him, up to the late 1990s. :cloud9:

Yes, those are duplicates I accumulated. I would have an unending number of things to offer, but I have to keep the weight low, as this is the problem from overseas. :(

Anyway, if these don’t move I may offer some trade paperback or more weighty items if the taker agrees to pay in part the shipping costs.

Not sure I know what a "lickity split" is but let’s hope so… :D

(lĭk'ĭ-tē-splĭt')

adv. Informal

With great speed.

I was curious of the origin, so I looked it up.

This is an American phrase in origin, possibly with Scottish influences, and isn't commonly used in other countries. Lickety may be taken from lick, meaning speed - as in 'going at quite a lick'. That usage is known by the early 19th century; for example, this piece from Thomas Donaldson's Poems, chiefly in the Scottish dialect, 1809:

"Ere I get a pick, In comes young Nannie wi' a lick."

It is variously spelled in early citations but, whatever the spelling, it is just as likely to be a nonsense word, not pertaining to anything in particular. The first record of it in print is in D. McKillop's Poems, 1817:

"I rattl'd owre the A, B, C, as fast as lickitie An' read like hickitie."

The hiciktie in that line may be a version of heck - itself a euphemism for hell. I can't find out anything about Mr. McKillop but I would guess he was a Scottish gentleman - Donaldson certainly was. Lickitie in that spelling certainly wouldn't look out of place in Scotland.

The second word of the term is just an intensifier, and 'split' was settled on eventually. That is first cited in American Speech, 1848, as 'lickoty split'. Lickety may have been imported into the USA via immigration from Scotland. Split seems to have been added in the USA.

Not sure I know what a "lickity split" is but lets hope so :D

(lĭk'ĭ-tē-splĭt')

adv. Informal

With great speed.

I was curious of the origin, so I looked it up.

This is an American phrase in origin, possibly with Scottish influences, and isn't commonly used in other countries. Lickety may be taken from lick, meaning speed - as in 'going at quite a lick'. That usage is known by the early 19th century; for example, this piece from Thomas Donaldson's Poems, chiefly in the Scottish dialect, 1809:

"Ere I get a pick, In comes young Nannie wi' a lick."

It is variously spelled in early citations but, whatever the spelling, it is just as likely to be a nonsense word, not pertaining to anything in particular. The first record of it in print is in D. McKillop's Poems, 1817:

"I rattl'd owre the A, B, C, as fast as lickitie An' read like hickitie."

The hiciktie in that line may be a version of heck - itself a euphemism for hell. I can't find out anything about Mr. McKillop but I would guess he was a Scottish gentleman - Donaldson certainly was. Lickitie in that spelling certainly wouldn't look out of place in Scotland.

The second word of the term is just an intensifier, and 'split' was settled on eventually. That is first cited in American Speech, 1848, as 'lickoty split'. Lickety may have been imported into the USA via immigration from Scotland. Split seems to have been added in the USA.

This is exactly why I love this forum...... Now if anyone can tell me the backround behind "loosey goosey" (shrug)

Found this.

In the New York Times Crossword no. 1203 (St. Louis Post-Dispatch

>1-14-02), "loose as a goose" is the answer to the clue, "completely

>relaxed". When I was a boy in the 1930's, my father used the

>phrase,"loose as a goose", in a different way. He meant, "having

>loose bowels".

> I raised geese for several years while I was growing up. From

>my observations of them I believe that "loose as a goose" was first

>used the way that my father did. When geese walk about they

>generally move in a slow, stately manner. They don't dart about

>chasing insects like chickens, ducks, or turkeys do, and when they

>are resting they do not appear any more relaxed than other poultry.

>On the other hand, they tend to have much looser stools than other

>domestic fowls.

And now, back to our program.

OK, here’s my offer.

Two books, and I will cover shipping to the USA as well:

Hulk #126 - First appearance of Barbara Norriss, which later would become the Valkyrie, and third chapter of the trilogy of stories (preceeded Dr. Strange #183 and Sub-Mariner #22) which would have eventually led to the birth of the Defenders:

krmm3WYh.jpg

Captain Marvel #32 - Origin of Drax the Destroyer, penultimate chapter of Jim Starlin’s Thanos saga

LbV90Zgh.jpg

Both in the VG/F to F- range because of defects which bring down the grades (a popped staple in the centerfold for the Hulk and a minor tape pull on the cover, on Cap’s knee).

If one wants also these two, I will offer the four books but the taker will pay the price difference for the shipping (I’ll pay the first $10, that’s because with four books will very likely be more):

zhVVJwPh.jpg

Thor (Editoriale Corno) #64 - Italian edition of the above in the VG/F range:

FWHHBSAh.jpg