• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

Ok ill keep that in mind next time I leave something up there for days.

Given all of the negative comments directed towards you in this thread already as a result of your own inaction in mailing PIF's out, why are you trying to rub salt into your own wounds?

Oh, I see what is going on now.

I think most people have a certain expectation that if they offer something and it's claimed, the next offer should have a similar level of appeal. I use the word appeal and not value, because we aren't supposed to discuss value, and that is in part some of the issue here. Appeal is somewhat subjective, while value really isn't. You can however tell if something has appeal, if it's claimed quickly. Generally all my offers are claimed within an hour or two. Usually they aren't very valuable but they have appeal (I think).

I have a suggestion for a way to solve that issue, update the rules to encourage making offers that have good appeal without bringing value into the equation. If something isn't claimed within 48 hours, a completely new offer should be submitted. If you can't create an offer that is claimed within 96 hours you should put what you previously claimed back up on the offer block. It may seem a bit harsh but it would completely resolve these types of issues.

This is completely on point.

Participation in this thread is not mandatory, if you choose to post a :takeit: then you should be prepared to list something that isn't dollar bin books or worse.

Given all of the negative comments directed towards you in this thread already as a result of your own inaction in mailing PIF's out, why are you trying to rub salt into your own wounds?

(thumbs u

These books are by far no way $1 books, And I'm sure Alf #1 Goes for big bucks, You sure its not you really worrying about the value, I offered to take Alf 1 before he even posted a second slab, I'm tired of having to stand up for myself, Take the books or DON'T, Simple as that! You don't like the book(s) don't take them, But don't person_without_enough_empathy about it. THEY ARE FREE COMICS, THAT IHAVE SPENT MY HARD EARNED MONEY ON, THAT I AM WILLIGN TO LET GO, I'm NOT going to post something that I paid a lot of money for for free, that's idiotic. Nor DO I have that many slabs, You don't like me GREAT, I don't know you from a hole in the wall, Take and move along, That's what this thread is about.

I have "played" PIF twice. Both times I took cheap slabs, although I would take a non-cheap slab if I was quick enough and fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. I think I put up items in return that would appeal quickly to others. However, I am fortunate to have a wide range of comics and comic related material. I did have a fear of my items sitting for days without anyone taking it.

Part of what goes on in this thread is that some do not have vast collections and may like comics but have limited books they can put up in return. I think I have seen this in play on this thread. They put up what they can and are basically playing this the best to their ability that they can and that is what this thread is about.

Another part that goes on is offering up imo "drek" after taking something much better. After watching this thread for so long I can see it happens. These people are not playing fair, and is not what this thread is about.

Unless you know the individual involved it is hard to tell the difference between these two. Who really knows. I think this thread is all about trust and the believing the best in people. If we find that that trust is broken by someone it hurts us all and not quite as importantly (but certainly on point) hurts this PIF thread.

I would like to say there are also those who offer up much cooler material that received and those people restore our trust and to those of you who have done so, thanks for restoring my faith in people. It is true that this thread offers the opportunity for people to take advantage of others good will however it also offers the opportunity to see the best in people.

While this thread is not about getting better than what you received, I was just making the point that that is just the opposite of giving less than received and hence shows the best in people.

I've participated in this thread as well. My offers were claimed quickly.

Perhaps a simpler rule should be added.

Once an item is claimed, it will not ship to the claimer until their new offer is taken.

i.e.

"boardie A" offers something

"boardie B" claims it. Puts a new offer up.

"boardie C" claims it. Puts new offer up. "boardie A" ships to "B"

"boardie D" claims it. Puts new offer up. "Boardie B" ships to "C"

etc.....

This should prevent the issues people are bringing up.

Another part that goes on is offering up imo "drek" after taking something much better.

After watching this thread for so long I can see it happens.

These people are not playing fair, and is not what this thread is about.

[font:Book Antiqua]+ 1

And I believe people in this thread will like

THAT board member to stop doing that...[/font]

:baiting:

I've participated in this thread as well. My offers were claimed quickly.

Perhaps a simpler rule should be added.

Once an item is claimed, it will not ship to the claimer until their new offer is taken.

i.e.

"boardie A" offers something

"boardie B" claims it. Puts a new offer up.

"boardie C" claims it. Puts new offer up. "boardie A" ships to "B"

"boardie D" claims it. Puts new offer up. "Boardie B" ships to "C"

etc.....

This should prevent the issues people are bringing up.

I like your idea but I don't think it stops the thread from stagnating. Also, I know that I wouldn't want to wait for an extended period of time to ship a package because the person who claimed my offer will not post anything worthwhile.

I still prefer this:

I have a suggestion for a way to solve that issue, update the rules to encourage making offers that have good appeal without bringing value into the equation. If something isn't claimed within 48 hours, a completely new offer should be submitted. If you can't create an offer that is claimed within 96 hours you should put what you previously claimed back up on the offer block. It may seem a bit harsh but it would completely resolve these types of issues.

These books are by far no way $1 books, And I'm sure Alf #1 Goes for big bucks, You sure its not you really worrying about the value, I offered to take Alf 1 before he even posted a second slab, I'm tired of having to stand up for myself, Take the books or DON'T, Simple as that! You don't like the book(s) don't take them, But don't person_without_enough_empathy about it. THEY ARE FREE COMICS, THAT IHAVE SPENT MY HARD EARNED MONEY ON, THAT I AM WILLIGN TO LET GO, I'm NOT going to post something that I paid a lot of money for for free, that's idiotic. Nor DO I have that many slabs, You don't like me GREAT, I don't know you from a hole in the wall, Take and move along, That's what this thread is about.

You are obviously not grasping the concept of "pay it forward".

Your terrible attitude and actions in this thread should have you banned from participating in it.

I believe every Rule has been followed, No?

RULES:

-You must not be on the Hall of Shame list or be in poor standing on the boards

-You must have at least 50 posts

-If you claim some book(s), you must post your offering within 24 hours

-Only one offer at a time. No new book(s) can be posted until the existing offer has been claimed

-Post pics or scans of the book(s) you're giving away. Cell phone pics are fine

-Don't take book(s) if you've got nothing to offer in return

-Ship book(s) quickly so people aren't left hanging. No later than two weeks after someone claims your offer.

-Only one every 7 days per member. However, if an item is not claimed within 24 hours, anyone is welcome to take it (no matter when they last claimed book(s). Just don't be greedy!

-Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

-You can ONLY "take" a book after it has been listed.

-Be honest

-Have fun!

I really like this one,

-Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

Which GREEDY people don't seem to get if its noo a silverage, or a book worth who knows what, We get the short end of the stick. From all you other folks, I post what I have if someone has something better then me then god bless them and there kindness. But in no wat shape or form am I throwing up my Steve Gerber Signed book for free. Would You?

Oh please tell me! :D

You've demonstrated the inability to participate fairly on numerous occasions, therefore, you should not be allowed to participate at all. It's that simple.

Oh please tell me! :D

I will tell you - Take and move along, That's what this thread is about. That's your words (And the whole post that includes that sentence but the sentence sums it up).

You have made good on your previous items, please consider what you write before posting it. Sometimes words can inflame when you do not mean to do so. It may not be your comic book offer that keeps someone from taking it.

Im not going to sit here and be pummeled and talked down to, Ive righted my wrongs, if you don't like me don't take my books, Im sure someone will, If you want the thread to keep moving take a book and put up a dollar book they don't have to be extravagant.

Isnt that what this thread is really about, about posting a book regardless of what it is, and to just have things circulate and everyone be happy, Not nit picking on one guy bc he had some issues to resolve, with his household and family.

I was biting my tongue about reposting this with a :eyeroll:. He wants other people to post more stuff he can grab, and then leaves his "junk" up there for a week.

I look at this thread pretty regularly and have lots set aside if the day ever comes when something I want does come up. Taking two graded books and first offering just one of those three lots. You know what your doing, and it has made me not want to participate in this thread. Ever.

I think most people have a certain expectation that if they offer something and it's claimed, the next offer should have a similar level of appeal. I use the word appeal and not value, because we aren't supposed to discuss value, and that is in part some of the issue here. Appeal is somewhat subjective, while value really isn't. You can however tell if something has appeal, if it's claimed quickly. Generally all my offers are claimed within an hour or two. Usually they aren't very valuable but they have appeal (I think).

I like this. The only problem is the person who has their offer taken, has to either wait three days to ship, or we have to rely on the person who listed the undesirables to pull through and reship what they wanted.

You have made good on your previous items, please consider what you write before posting it. Sometimes words can inflame when you do not mean to do so. It may not be your comic book offer that keeps someone from taking it.

Boatfund is right here, Daniel.

No one is expecting people to post crazy valuable books, but one can do indeed post signed books, slabs, whatever, even something slightly more valuable than what he took, if he has no use for it and likes to.

Also, people cannot imagine one other's personal problems, you should not take this on personal level. :)

My opinion is that your current offer is not worse than many others, but I think that as much valid one’s points can be, the whole idea behind this thread is to give something you don’t want to keep, and pick something other which you would keep.

Something one has no use for can be pretty desirable for others, even if the value is less than what he offered.

Which is what I have been doing I too have a stack of comics, THAT they would consider dollar books, But I know are not and have a total value of about $586 In the lowest of condition, with about maybe 60-100 books, In the pile im slowly putting the pile up, And its not good enough for them.