• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

And, here's my 2c regarding the current controversy.

I understand where Boboset is coming from. I know we aren't supposed to 'discuss' value in this thread. However, I don't know about the rest of you, but when I make an offer I do 'consider' it pretty heavily. If I were going to claim something that I know would cost me $x to purchase, I want to try and get my return offer in the ballpark of $x.

I'm not telling anyone else they have to do that too but that's the way I do it. I don't want to offend the person who's offer I claimed, I don't want to disappoint everyone waiting to see the next offer, and I want to keep the thread moving along and have my offer claimed within an hour.

I'm not calling out anyone specifically here, for all I know the controversial offer might actually have been a fair trade and Boboset overreacted, I'm not actually familiar with really any of the items in that offer. But assuming he didn't overreact, like I said I see where he's coming from, and I'm not sure how anyone else couldn't.

Option 2: A Mystery Box

What's in it? It's a mystery! Let me know what you like and I will try to cater to your specific collecting desires, but frankly, I doubt I can do that. But I'll try! Whatever the case, I will send a box of 20 comics.

:takeit:

And, here's my 2c regarding the current controversy.

I understand where Boboset is coming from. I know we aren't supposed to 'discuss' value in this thread. However, I don't know about the rest of you, but when I make an offer I do 'consider' it pretty heavily. If I were going to claim something that I know would cost me $x to purchase, I want to try and get my return offer in the ballpark of $x.

I'm not telling anyone else they have to do that too but that's the way I do it. I don't want to offend the person who's offer I claimed, I don't want to disappoint everyone waiting to see the next offer, and I want to keep the thread moving along and have my offer claimed within an hour.

I'm not calling out anyone specifically here, for all I know the controversial offer might actually have been a fair trade and Boboset overreacted, I'm not actually familiar with really any of the items in that offer. But assuming he didn't overreact, like I said I see where he's coming from, and I'm not sure how anyone else couldn't.

I also consider the offer I post pretty heavily. I want to make sure what I'm offering is better than the last offer or at the very least just as good as what I claimed. I could never dream of taking an offer and then posting something inferior to that offer. That's not what paying it forward is about. You don't pay anything forward when you offer something less than what you claim.

I don't get why so many people are opposed to this line of logic. I really don't.

Paying it forward is not just free comics. It's an obligation to actually pay it forward.

I'm not sure why you have set yourself up as the arbiter of value in this thread, but honestly, it upsets me. Not because you're basically calling my stuff and implying I am ripping off the thread by taking cool stuff and offering junk, but because attitudes like this are exactly why so many people are hesitant to participate in this thread to begin with. I've seen a lot of people over the last year say they want to participate, but they are afraid their offers won't be "worth" enough, so they don't get involved. Seeing you post stuff like this is just going to keep more people away from what should be the best thread on the forums.

Setting aside any possible personal offense, I entirely subscribe with Crimebuster's statement here.

No one forced Boboset to offer a full run of Sandman trade paperbacks (which I would not have even picked, just to say – and they also would have been unthinkable to send outside the US because of the cost) and as long as an offer expresses the best of the participant’s possibilities (not everyone is wealthy) I consider it more than fair.

THAT is the spirit of this thread, not interpretations of value based on personal sensibility, but to allow everyone to pick something they could enjoy and offer something in exchange, nothing more. If it is unclear, all it takes is to re-read what NamesJay tried to fine-tune since the beginning. (thumbs u

I'm not sure why you have set yourself up as the arbiter of value in this thread, but honestly, it upsets me. Not because you're basically calling my stuff and implying I am ripping off the thread by taking cool stuff and offering junk, but because attitudes like this are exactly why so many people are hesitant to participate in this thread to begin with. I've seen a lot of people over the last year say they want to participate, but they are afraid their offers won't be "worth" enough, so they don't get involved. Seeing you post stuff like this is just going to keep more people away from what should be the best thread on the forums.

Setting aside any possible personal offense, I entirely subscribe with Crimebuster's statement here.

No one forced Boboset to offer a full run of Sandman trade paperbacks (which I would not have even picked, just to say – and they also would have been unthinkable to send outside the US because of the cost) and as long as an offer expresses the best of the participant’s possibilities (not everyone is wealthy) I consider it more than fair.

THAT is the spirit of this thread, not interpretations of value based on personal sensibility, but to allow everyone to pick something they could enjoy and offer something in exchange, nothing more. If it is unclear, all it takes is to re-read what NamesJay tried to fine-tune since the beginning. (thumbs u

I keep up with this thread but have, as of yet, not participated. However... here's my 2c

The value of what someone offers is subjective from one person to the next. I collect foreign edition and there are books that I highly value that most people wouldn't even give a second glance. It works the same way for many collectors, there are things out there that one person may consider valuable that another simply doesn't care about at all. It's been stated that people were interested in the options offered after the Sandman trades were claimed so I don't see where the problem lies. Who knows? Maybe someone here has been looking for that Captain Britain trade or really enjoys the mystery box idea. (shrug)

Option 2: A Mystery Box

What's in it? It's a mystery! Let me know what you like and I will try to cater to your specific collecting desires, but frankly, I doubt I can do that. But I'll try! Whatever the case, I will send a box of 20 comics.

:takeit:

That offer was the current offer, but now isn't. This is the current offer currently, for now.

pif.jpg

and as long as an offer expresses the best of the participant’s possibilities (not everyone is wealthy) I consider it more than fair.

great statement vaillant!

All PIF offers are not equal in monetary value, however they could be equal in the best of the participant's possibilities.

I'm sure NamesJay didn't create this thread thinking people would take a ten TPB collection and offer only 2 in return. Nor could he predict that Mkkiller would fleece this board for months.

Crimebuster claimed an offer and then offered exactly 1/5 the amount of reading material. Cut it anyway you want, that is not a fair offer for what was claimed.

The original rules didn't state what paying it forward meant, nor do I think they should because it seems obvious. The wiki interpretation is , "beneficiary of a good deed repaying it to others instead of to the original benefactor". If you're not somewhat matching or surpassing the original offer then you're not paying it forward.

and as long as an offer expresses the best of the participant’s possibilities (not everyone is wealthy) I consider it more than fair.

All PIF offers are not equal in monetary value, however they could be equal in the best of the participant's possibilities.

That’s what I consider most important: and as far as interest goes, like lscomics said there is largely a subjective part to it, but it is clear that everyone should just try to post what thinks it works best both for the others and for him. Personally, I am heavily limited by weight, so I could have never posted a bunch of trade paperbacks, as sending just one would cost about $20 from overseas. Said that, if one is willing to cover the shipping costs, I always appreciate when participants offer the PIFs with no geographical restraints.

The original rules didn't state what paying it forward meant, nor do I think they should because it seems obvious. The wiki interpretation is , "beneficiary of a good deed repaying it to others instead of to the original benefactor". If you're not somewhat matching or surpassing the original offer then you're not paying it forward.

You are analyzing the term, I am trying to grasp the spirit.

And Mkkiller was painted a lot badder than what probably he was, as it is virtually impossible to judge another persons' motivations in full. And it is also not good. :foryou:

You are analyzing the term, I am trying to grasp the spirit.

And Mkkiller was painted a lot badder than what probably he was, as it is virtually impossible to judge another persons' motivations in full. And it is also not good. :foryou:

The guy was bad news. He grouped and listed all of his PIF "scores" in ebay auctions and required hounding to ship the PIF others claimed from him. I think it's very possible to judge his motivations in full IMO.

I agree with this point, with one caveat.

The member claiming a PIF should use judgement in choosing which particular offer they claim. If they can only offer xyz they should wait until an offer comes along that they feel will pair better with whatever they have to follow up with. This doesn't mean the dollar value is the same or the number of books is the same, but there is a reason why this comes up sporadically.

The member claiming a PIF should use judgement in choosing which particular offer they claim. If they can only offer xyz they should wait until an offer comes along that they feel will pair better with whatever they have to follow up with. This doesn't mean the dollar value is the same or the number of books is the same, but there is a reason why this comes up sporadically.

That’s right, I did not mean to imply that you should offer whatever comes to mind, regardless of the previous offer. That is why, for example, if I had been interested in those TPBs, I would have considered picking them (but this is theoretical, as the shipping cost would have been insane) and then offered – say – a decent Silver Age book or so…

That’s right, I did not mean to imply that you should offer whatever comes to mind, regardless of the previous offer. That is why, for example, if I had been interested in those TPBs, I would have considered picking them (but this is theoretical, as the shipping cost would have been insane) and then offered – say – a decent Silver Age book or so…

exactly, and many of us would have jumped on a decent Silver Age book and offered up something decent in return. Maybe a run of Sandman tbps. I don't think anyone gets bothered when someone puts up their "best possibilities" and their best is not close to equal monetary value. When the opposite appears to happen and has happened on this thread it does hurt the spirit of this thread.

Current offer, in a normal bite sized image size.

pif.jpg

:applause:

Thank you. And dont forget. Real Stan lee sig on the third book for those who don't want to read my wall of text.

Just bumping my offer. Three heroes initiative books with one signed by Stan Lee.

I'm sure NamesJay didn't create this thread thinking people would take a ten TPB collection and offer only 2 in return. Nor could he predict that Mkkiller would fleece this board for months.

Crimebuster claimed an offer and then offered exactly 1/5 the amount of reading material. Cut it anyway you want, that is not a fair offer for what was claimed.

1) Didn't Mkkiller finally make good after a little kick in the rear to get him motivated to ship? Let it go.

2) Crimebuster posted an offer, just because you don't feel it was up to par with what he claimed doesn't mean you should subject him to ridicule. If he offered the best he could then it's not for you to judge if it's good enough to measure up.

3) Like I said, I've been keeping up with this thread but I think I'm done with that now. Too much drama.

1) Didn't Mkkiller finally make good after a little kick in the rear to get him motivated to ship? Let it go.

More than a little kick in the rear and more than just shipping issues. That situation doesn't bother me at all anymore, but when asked to explain myself I feel it's completely relevant.

2) Crimebuster posted an offer, just because you don't feel it was up to par with what he claimed doesn't mean you should subject him to ridicule. If he offered the best he could then it's not for you to judge if it's good enough to measure up.

I'm not ridiculing him. If I don't feel someone is being fair then I will call them out on that. This thread, in real life or anywhere. He could have combined his multiple offers for his best offer, which was my initial suggestion, but he didn't want to do that.

3) Like I said, I've been keeping up with this thread but I think I'm done with that now. Too much drama.

Sorry to hear that.

"I'm not ridiculing him. If I don't feel someone is being fair then I will call them out on that."

Isn't that the very definition of ridicule? hm

No, it's really not.