• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

Hello from another "thread lurker/follower" - my observations.

1st, I know none of you and am not targeting/flaming anyone... we all have our own idiosyncracies/OCDs or whatever... I think we ALL very much enjoy this hobby.

It has been mentioned that one should offer up "equal or more" value of what is taken - and as mentioned, this is not always a possibility base on an individuals wealth or what they have that they could offer up.

The offers went from 18 comics to 30+ comics to 10 tpb - that is quiet a jump in perceived value/actual value - whatever.... At that rate if and when I take an offer, I'd have to offer up an original art page with a $?00.00 value. Nope ain't happening. This whole issue probably wouldn't even have been an issue if only 2-5 tpbs were offered.

"Pay it Forward is not just free comics. It is an obligation to pay it forward." - Not my interpretation... the point of any PiF should be doing something for someone cause someone did something for you, no matter the perceived value of either deed. If someone jump starts my poor battery in my car cause I'm stranded on a back road, do I need to buy someone a new tire for their flat, no, just give them a ride to a garage/tow truck service, no I just need to - open a door for some elderly person with a cane/walker; give someone my seat on a bus; etc. it doesn't need to be of "equal or greater" perceived value.

I have set aside 10 lots of various items I have duplicates of or just don't want/need that I have picked up over the years and would love to PiF them to someone who would enjoy them and not have the funds to put them on their want list. Now none of these lots are 10 tpbs, but they are a wide variety of items I feel I could let go of. In my mind the lots all have 'equal' value, but whether they would 'match' a perceived value of anything I take, I don't know.

That maybe why I haven't yet taken any offers.

Well sorry for my rambling repeating anything already said, just wanted add my 2c and hope to contribute my offerings in the future.

Have a Great Day!

Jerro

Perhaps a group PM would be a better place for this discussion to continue, no doubt the sudden jump in posts will garner interest from people who don't frequently check PIF and I don't think someone interested in participating needs to be greeted by walls of text describing how their offer may not be received with open arms.

Current offer, in a normal bite sized image size.

pif.jpg

:applause:

Thank you. And dont forget. Real Stan lee sig on the third book for those who don't want to read my wall of text.

Just bumping my offer. Three heroes initiative books with one signed by Stan Lee.

:bump:

I went to bed and this thread was awesome last night, wake up and it fell apart. What a shame. That is a cool Stan Lee offer and as much as I would like to claim it I hope it goes to someone who cant afford a signature book like that and always wanted one. THAT Is what this thread should be about :)

And, here's my 2c regarding the current controversy.

I understand where Boboset is coming from. I know we aren't supposed to 'discuss' value in this thread. However, I don't know about the rest of you, but when I make an offer I do 'consider' it pretty heavily. If I were going to claim something that I know would cost me $x to purchase, I want to try and get my return offer in the ballpark of $x.

I'm not telling anyone else they have to do that too but that's the way I do it. I don't want to offend the person who's offer I claimed, I don't want to disappoint everyone waiting to see the next offer, and I want to keep the thread moving along and have my offer claimed within an hour.

I'm not calling out anyone specifically here, for all I know the controversial offer might actually have been a fair trade and Boboset overreacted, I'm not actually familiar with really any of the items in that offer. But assuming he didn't overreact, like I said I see where he's coming from, and I'm not sure how anyone else couldn't.

I also consider the offer I post pretty heavily. I want to make sure what I'm offering is better than the last offer or at the very least just as good as what I claimed. I could never dream of taking an offer and then posting something inferior to that offer. That's not what paying it forward is about. You don't pay anything forward when you offer something less than what you claim.

I don't get why so many people are opposed to this line of logic. I really don't.

Paying it forward is not just free comics. It's an obligation to actually pay it forward.

Who gets to decide what is and is not "something less than what you claim?"

The answer - we all do.

So far, I have considered all my offers "inferior" to the ones I receive, but people take them, every time. Everyone gets to decide for themselves if an offer is "fair" or not, and lets face it, we have all seen not-so-great offers sit there for a while until it gets changed somehow. And there can even be a little finagling - the last offer I claimed had a choice of three options, with option 1 & 2 being put together after a time of no interest. I countered maybe combining options 2 & 3, and the offer-er said sure, and I threw up the "I'll take it."

So, in light of what brought this all up, there was an option of one (1) TPB offered - as one of a few options. If "we" didn't like it, CB would know by our silence and would change things somehow until someone posts the "I'll take it!"

I thought that was how this thread worked...?

:shrug:

-slym

Crimebuster claimed an offer and then offered exactly 1/5 the amount of reading material. Cut it anyway you want, that is not a fair offer for what was claimed.

No matter how you look at it, that is going to be tough to beat. I gave away 43 comics here last time, and that doesn't match the sheer reading material of 10 TPBs. How are we supposed to top that if we use sheer "reading material" as the basis? We can't do that, shipping out of anyone's country of origin will become prohibitively expensive. I can't remember what I took, but one of my offers was Howard The Duck #4 price variant. One comic, not worth more than $16. It lasted less than an hour, I believe.

I imagine if someone came and offered one copy of Ninjak #1, the collective would drum them either straight & righteous, or right out of the game.

"We" get to decide on what is and is not a "fair offer."

"I don't get why so many people are opposed to this line of logic. I really don't."

-slym

We all get both sides of the argument, and that value shouldn't be discussed. Boboset was disappointed and let it show. He wants to see great things happen in this thread, and doesn't want to see people's generosity taken advantage of. I don't believe he really wants it to be equal or better all the time, but he doesn't want to see the offers plummet, rather taper down. Just be cognizant of what you are taking. This thread isn't here for people to flip.

That said, no one is in the market for a Stan Lee auto? :shrug:

And, here's my 2c regarding the current controversy.

I understand where Boboset is coming from. I know we aren't supposed to 'discuss' value in this thread. However, I don't know about the rest of you, but when I make an offer I do 'consider' it pretty heavily. If I were going to claim something that I know would cost me $x to purchase, I want to try and get my return offer in the ballpark of $x.

I'm not telling anyone else they have to do that too but that's the way I do it. I don't want to offend the person who's offer I claimed, I don't want to disappoint everyone waiting to see the next offer, and I want to keep the thread moving along and have my offer claimed within an hour.

I'm not calling out anyone specifically here, for all I know the controversial offer might actually have been a fair trade and Boboset overreacted, I'm not actually familiar with really any of the items in that offer. But assuming he didn't overreact, like I said I see where he's coming from, and I'm not sure how anyone else couldn't.

I also consider the offer I post pretty heavily. I want to make sure what I'm offering is better than the last offer or at the very least just as good as what I claimed. I could never dream of taking an offer and then posting something inferior to that offer. That's not what paying it forward is about. You don't pay anything forward when you offer something less than what you claim.

I don't get why so many people are opposed to this line of logic. I really don't.

Paying it forward is not just free comics. It's an obligation to actually pay it forward.

Who gets to decide what is and is not "something less than what you claim?"

The answer - we all do.

So far, I have considered all my offers "inferior" to the ones I receive, but people take them, every time. Everyone gets to decide for themselves if an offer is "fair" or not, and lets face it, we have all seen not-so-great offers sit there for a while until it gets changed somehow. And there can even be a little finagling - the last offer I claimed had a choice of three options, with option 1 & 2 being put together after a time of no interest. I countered maybe combining options 2 & 3, and the offer-er said sure, and I threw up the "I'll take it."

So, in light of what brought this all up, there was an option of one (1) TPB offered - as one of a few options. If "we" didn't like it, CB would know by our silence and would change things somehow until someone posts the "I'll take it!"

I thought that was how this thread worked...?

:shrug:

-slym

Hey! I think you justsaid my offer sucked!!!! lol:P:baiting:

Sometimes it is hard to know exactly what to offer. I am still getting a feel for it. My first offer was a 9.8 slab with 6 signed comics and the taker could not be happier. The second one I felt unsure what to offer but luckily Slym bailed me out.

The Howard the Duck was a very cool offer, Slym. (thumbs u

@00comics/Jerro: Don’t be afraid to participate, these discussions are no big deal at all, and ultimately they it’s up to the respective posters to see when they haven’t been objective… ;)

Vaillant... most of the time it is because I missed an offer I was interested in... and don't 'hate' me for not being a Marvel Zombie and wanting a Stan Lee autograph... just not for me.... SMILES.

Jerry

We all get both sides of the argument, and that value shouldn't be discussed. Boboset was disappointed and let it show. He wants to see great things happen in this thread, and doesn't want to see people's generosity taken advantage of. I don't believe he really wants it to be equal or better all the time, but he doesn't want to see the offers plummet, rather taper down. Just be cognizant of what you are taking. This thread isn't here for people to flip.

That said, no one is in the market for a Stan Lee auto? :shrug:

"Great things" are not necessarily free comics first. On my part, what happened with Mkkiller – despite his erratic behavior – it has been a good experience, and besides this it helped some of us to get to know better other fellow boardies.

It’s clear that the thread is not here for people to flip, but if all I can offer is of a lesser monetary value of the previous offer, I should not be excessively worried that I will be harshly criticized ("ridiculed" may not have been the best adjective, but lscomics made his point). As I said, it is all about the expectations we have towards other people: with no expectations, everything is awesome, with expectations tailored upon our own’s generosity… well, everything will be less than awesome as no one forced us to be generous in the first place.

And it helps to talk, not so much to call out people. :)

My point about the reading material shouldn't be taken out of context. I claimed a large run of books and followed that up with an offer of what essentially matched that run of books. In turn, Crimebuster's offer was along a similar niche but with much less quantity.

Gsims topped all of that with Stan Lee signed stuff.

I don't believe anyone here doesn't understand the concept of taking something and offering something similar. Define similar however you like.

My point throughout this and the Mkkiller situation has always been the same. Take an offer and offer something of similar interest. Make the PIF thread fair.

My point about the reading material shouldn't be taken out of context. I claimed a large run of books and followed that up with an offer of what essentially matched that run of books. In turn, Crimebuster's offer was along a similar niche but with much less quantity. […]

I don't believe anyone here doesn't understand the concept of taking something and offering something similar. Define similar however you like.

I think we all agree on this.

What went wrong was because of your reaction, IMO. You could have easily PMd CB and told him what you thought (as I did with Mkkiller, and it was not always pleasant to try to make the best out of that situation).

Besides this, as someone other said, CB's offer was not limited to the single paperback: he never let his offerings sit, and he always managed to add, or change them and make them move. And he never offered to start with. ;)

And so was the AoA collection.

To make things clear, and with all the due respect to X-Men fans of that period: I would not have taken the AoA run even with free shipping, while I would have picked the Captain Britain paperback immediately if I had time (I have not, now) and something to offer ready.

Based merely on desirability there are a million choices that can be made, and I honestly think you just shouldn’t have called CB out like that, as it was not the case.

That’s all. :foryou:

And so was the AoA collection.

To make things clear, and with all the due respect to X-Men fans of that period: I would not have taken the AoA run even with free shipping, while I would have picked the Captain Britain paperback immediately if I had time (I have not, now) and something to offer ready.

Based merely on desirability there are a million choices that can be made, and I honestly think you just shouldn’t have called CB out like that, as it was not the case.

That’s all. :foryou:

I loved the AoA stuff. That got me back into collecting. I haven't read the Captain Britain comics but I've always heard good things.

I should have handled myself differently. You're right, a little more tact would have helped me in this situation. :)

Current offer, in a normal bite sized image size.

pif.jpg

:applause:

Thank you. And dont forget. Real Stan lee sig on the third book for those who don't want to read my wall of text.

Just bumping my offer. Three heroes initiative books with one signed by Stan Lee.

:bump:

Driving to the beach right now, so I don't have much else to offer at the moment,

Option 2:

One of these lazy chihuahuas

E2CF2DA9-0484-45B5-9E55-E76D4002B528-814-000000DD63429A86_zps898cfc3f.jpg

Kidding... I'll let these simmer for the rest of the day and come up with something else.