• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

And, here's my 2c regarding the current controversy.

I understand where Boboset is coming from. I know we aren't supposed to 'discuss' value in this thread. However, I don't know about the rest of you, but when I make an offer I do 'consider' it pretty heavily. If I were going to claim something that I know would cost me $x to purchase, I want to try and get my return offer in the ballpark of $x.

I'm not telling anyone else they have to do that too but that's the way I do it. I don't want to offend the person who's offer I claimed, I don't want to disappoint everyone waiting to see the next offer, and I want to keep the thread moving along and have my offer claimed within an hour.

I'm not calling out anyone specifically here, for all I know the controversial offer might actually have been a fair trade and Boboset overreacted, I'm not actually familiar with really any of the items in that offer. But assuming he didn't overreact, like I said I see where he's coming from, and I'm not sure how anyone else couldn't.

I also consider the offer I post pretty heavily. I want to make sure what I'm offering is better than the last offer or at the very least just as good as what I claimed. I could never dream of taking an offer and then posting something inferior to that offer. That's not what paying it forward is about. You don't pay anything forward when you offer something less than what you claim.

I don't get why so many people are opposed to this line of logic. I really don't.

Paying it forward is not just free comics. It's an obligation to actually pay it forward.

Who gets to decide what is and is not "something less than what you claim?"

The answer - we all do.

So far, I have considered all my offers "inferior" to the ones I receive, but people take them, every time. Everyone gets to decide for themselves if an offer is "fair" or not, and lets face it, we have all seen not-so-great offers sit there for a while until it gets changed somehow. And there can even be a little finagling - the last offer I claimed had a choice of three options, with option 1 & 2 being put together after a time of no interest. I countered maybe combining options 2 & 3, and the offer-er said sure, and I threw up the "I'll take it."

So, in light of what brought this all up, there was an option of one (1) TPB offered - as one of a few options. If "we" didn't like it, CB would know by our silence and would change things somehow until someone posts the "I'll take it!"

I thought that was how this thread worked...?

:shrug:

Hey! I think you justsaid my offer sucked!!!! lol:P:baiting:

:cry::sorry::foryou:

Sometimes it is hard to know exactly what to offer. I am still getting a feel for it. My first offer was a 9.8 slab with 6 signed comics and the taker could not be happier. The second one I felt unsure what to offer but luckily Slym bailed me out.

I felt it was worth a shot, otherwise I'da hit the multi-book offer anyway.

;)

-slym

Current offer, in a normal bite sized image size.

pif.jpg

:applause:

Thank you. And dont forget. Real Stan lee sig on the third book for those who don't want to read my wall of text.

Just bumping my offer. Three heroes initiative books with one signed by Stan Lee.

:bump: since I bumped it off the front page!

-slym

This offer is super awesome! I think people are just scared to claim it because of the pressure of what they put up next.

To be clear: I did not mean to despise the AoA offer of Slym: you know it was a great offer, I just quite dislike the route Marvel went slightly before that, especially with so-called mutant titles.

This offer is super awesome! I think people are just scared to claim it because of the pressure of what they put up next.

No, I am just scared at the idea of spending about $80 or so to have a cool Stan signed book delivered to my door. :D

To be clear: I did not mean to despise the AoA offer of Slym: you know it was a great offer, I just quite dislike the route Marvel went slightly before that, especially with so-called mutant titles.

I certainly didn't take it that way, Claudio!

:foryou:

-slym

Ouch! Yes, I imagine it is hard for other countries to participate in this frequently :/

Well, if you manage to keep it light, it’s quite acceptable. I am still amazed that some anonymous boardie wished to donate me the Gerber Photo-Journals and paid for the shipping as well (from the PsychoJ donation thread). Thanks pal! :foryou:

I certainly didn't take it that way, Claudio!

:foryou:

st104p.jpg:cloud9:

Driving to the beach right now, so I don't have much else to offer at the moment,

Option 2:

One of these lazy chihuahuas

E2CF2DA9-0484-45B5-9E55-E76D4002B528-814-000000DD63429A86_zps898cfc3f.jpg

Kidding... I'll let these simmer for the rest of the day and come up with something else.

one on the left :takeit:

Hah! That's what I wanted to say...

(:

...and gsims, give it a little time. Tomorrow night, even. People have to get settled from the weekend, at least, those that have lives do. I have been here all weekend!

:cry: :lol: ;)

-slym

I was late looking in or I would have scooped up the Astro City run CB offered(had to sleep don't cha know).

And yes,I always feel like my offers are inferior.I did take a small run of mid grade,bronze FF that I really needed and was tickled pink with them.Not worth a lot but but in terms or pure reading enjoyment,priceless!

Maybe long discussions like this one need a separate thread.Never been in a mass pm,would that work better?

Maybe long discussions like this one need a separate thread.Never been in a mass pm,would that work better?

Only problem would be who to involve in a mass PM. We did it with the case of Daniel (Mkkiller) but I had to guess who was best to include, and I don’t like to discriminate. Parts involved, the thread starter… but this one was more a general issue… I guess it’s all good anyway, and CB will get back… :)

I think most people have a certain expectation that if they offer something and it's claimed, the next offer should have a similar level of appeal. I use the word appeal and not value, because we aren't supposed to discuss value, and that is in part some of the issue here. Appeal is somewhat subjective, while value really isn't. You can however tell if something has appeal, if it's claimed quickly. Generally all my offers are claimed within an hour or two. Usually they aren't very valuable but they have appeal (I think).

I have a suggestion for a way to solve that issue, update the rules to encourage making offers that have good appeal without bringing value into the equation. If something isn't claimed within 48 hours, a completely new offer should be submitted. If you can't create an offer that is claimed within 96 hours you should put what you previously claimed back up on the offer block. It may seem a bit harsh but it would completely resolve these types of issues.

I suggested this during the MKkiller controversy about a month ago, and it was mostly glossed over. I think if these ideas were implemented it would have resolved this current problem equally as well.

It forces the follow-up offer to speak for itself. If the followup offer doesn't speak for itself (goes unclaimed for 4 days) the original person has the piece of mind of knowing he can't be taken advantage of and his offer goes back up.

I suspect that if Boboset had the piece of mind of knowing that if the followup offer went unclaimed his TPB collection would go back on the block, he would have tempered his reaction until the process played out. But since he had nothing but the feeling of being taken advantage of he lashed out. I can't blame him really. He felt taken advantage of and this thread just relies on the good will of all involved to keep it fair with no recourse for the person feeling taken advantage of. Maybe that's the way most people want it, I dunno.

Now maybe the followup offer that Crimebuster put up would have been claimed in an hour, we'll never know. If it was, and it made someone really happy, I bet Boboset wouldn't have been nearly as upset. But because he felt that he had been taken advantage of on some level, and there is no system in place that protects him and his awesome offer, I think he lashed out.

pif.jpg

Thank you. And dont forget. Real Stan lee sig on the third book for those who don't want to read my wall of text.

Just bumping my offer. Three heroes initiative books with one signed by Stan Lee.

Currently setting my alarm clock for 2:50 am when the 24 hr waiting period expires for me... "Im just sayin..." Great offer. I never knew there was a collection of all the "Stan's Soapboxes"

I thought this would be snatched up as well! I did not want to claim it because I claimed one 9 days ago and am mailing my PIF forward tomorrow, but if it is still here in an hour I might take it. I think I have a cool offer to submit in return.

pif.jpg

I thought this would go in the first hour it was listed but since it is still here, I am going to :takeit:

If the offer I put up is unworthy please chastise me appropriately! It will be up at 5:30 PST and not 10 seconds late like last time. ;)