• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

I rarely look at value when I pick something or offer something. I'm usually looking for something that interests me (like books about comics or runs that update some of my favorite GA characters). And when I offer something it's been something I've recently upgraded and don't need anymore. I don't think anyone is gaming the system and picking up gold and offering trash, but I may be naive.

Techvoodoo, This is a shame to hear, and I hope you reconsider. I can honestly say that you make a great effort on your offerings. Heck, I think I have claimed 2 or 3 of them myself and they were awesome.

I agree that greed is a bad thing and I hope that is the exception and not the rule. I, like you, intentionally buy stuff that I think people would like to have. A couple of examples would be the death of superman set and some of the slabs. The guy I sent the superman stuff was extremely glad to add it to his collection especially with the bonus item.

I know other people do the same thing. Heck, there was an X-Men # 3 offered on here lately and he didn't claim anything near that caliber or ask for anything in return. He is just a nice guy that wanted to give something cool because he can.

I guess what I am saying, is that overall the participants try really hard and don't give up!

I'm not as severe as the donkey crowd, as I've participated in this thread multiple times, and enjoy it.

Honestly, it angers me when someone takes a great offer and follows it up with garbage. I get the spirit of the thread is to not consider value, but fair should be fair. Don't take it if you can't follow up with something decent.

Also for the record, techno is expressing anger with the fact not that he is being accused of posting drek, but rather taking drek from someone else to keep the thread moving and in turn validating this bad behavior.

No, I agree MikeNYC, and that is what makes it a fine line. It has been debated back and forth a few times because if the standard is to upgrade at each offer than only a few people would have the resources to participate and eventually we would be trading AF-15's. On the flip side, I agree that if you claim something that is just way above the normal standard, try not to offer up an x-force 1in return. I honestly do not know what the answer is.

I was just trying to express to Techvoodoo that he is a great participant and his leaving would be a loss to the thread as a whole.

Ship anywhere in US for free, cover $10 for anywhere else.

Please choose 3 options

OPTION #1:

Lot of 8 Archie related comics - All bronze age issues - G/VG

Laugh 247, 262, 273, 274

Pep 253,274

Life with Archie 129

Mad House Annual 11

20130808_210337_zps2cbfd2b8.jpg

OPTION #2:

KAFKA 1-6 - Complete series (Renegade Press - 1987)

20130727_225241_zps25d8ab43.jpg

OPTION #3:

Kraven the Hunter figure

20130901_214258_zps5df4f432.jpg

OPTION #4:

West Coast Avengers - Issues 1-10, 16, 19, 21

Range from F+ to VF condition

7cc7fae5-336f-4499-8c50-346e95e9b818_zps69b47944.jpg

OPTION #5:

Batman: Mitefall & Realworlds Batman

20130912_211852_zpsbd3d2b81.jpg

OPTION #6:

The Crow on Bluray - Brand new sealed

20130912_202736_zpsaf719f74.jpg

OPTION #7:

Magneto 0-4 (1993-1997)

20130929_081307_zps3bed55ec.jpg

OPTION #8:

Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four Silver Rage TPB

Collects Spider-Man/Fantastic Four (2007) #1-4. Written by JEFF PARKER. Art and cover by MIKE WIERINGO. Two great tastes that taste great together! The world's greatest super hero and the world's greatest super team collide for an adventure set nowhere near a Civil War (and upon which we will not put a CIVIL WAR tie-in label)! After a visit by the Impossible Man, your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man is faced with a dangerous new alien threat for which he has only one recourse...call in the Fantastic Four. Separately, Spidey and the FF are the foundation of the Marvel Universe. Together...they just may save it! Softcover, 96 pages

20130929_081450_zps6f9257f3.jpg

:bump: my drek and make it choose 3 options

I'm kinda pissed off right now, and I'm sure that's a good indication that I shouldn't be making this post, but whatever. So yeah someone remind me, what's the point of this thread again? Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, it is about giving right?

Well apparently it's been brought to my attention that giving just isn't good enough. I've been asked to stop claiming peoples trash offers and validating the actions of people who claim something valuable and in return offer dollar bin drek. Apparently this isn't just the opinion of the person who asked me this but the opinion of a group of you guys, so I'm told.

Ok fine, I'm done with this thread. The greed monster has reared his ugly head one to many times for me so I'm done.

I've enjoyed participating in this thread very much and to those that have made it a fun experience thank you. My offers haven't always been top of the line, I tend to try to offer something that I feel is in line with the quality of what I claimed, and for that perhaps I should apologize for not trying a little harder all the time.

But for me this thread was really about giving. I would visit the comic store on Wednesday to pick up my weekly comics and I'd generally try and pickup something I thought would be cool for PIF and added it to the pile. That was fun for me. Sharing books I really liked with others, that was fun for me.

Being asked to stop, not so much. I'll fulfill my obligation to send out my last offer claimed and I don't expect to be around anymore. I hope the thread survives and thrives, it was a great idea.

Who are the individual_without_enough_empathys complaining? Why can't they say something in public? Apparently, 40+ issues of quarter-bin fodder isn't good enough for reading? I imagine I am one of the (if not the only) person they are saying you validate non-positive actions.

Bah, to hell with them, man. Stick around, Tech. Don't let the individual_without_enough_empathy(s) run you off. Don't let them win.

(thumbs u

-slym

I got my PIF from Techvoodoo a while ago but just got around to opening it. It was a great box filled with awesome runs which I am very much looking forward to reading.

Very sad that some greedy fart ruined the fun for him

Feel free to name anyone that sent any such message. Better everyone knows so they can ignore them should any such message arrive in their inbox.

I'm not sure why an errant message should rattle you. You have every right to completely ignore the message as it clearly isn't constructive.

As always, these discussions are generally best done via PM so we don't clog this thread from continuing on. Feel free to add me to any PIF PM discussion.

And we can stop talking value. Read the rules if you forgot.

Well apparently it's been brought to my attention that giving just isn't good enough. I've been asked to stop claiming peoples trash offers and validating the actions of people who claim something valuable and in return offer dollar bin drek. Apparently this isn't just the opinion of the person who asked me this but the opinion of a group of you guys, so I'm told.

Ok fine, I'm done with this thread. The greed monster has reared his ugly head one to many times for me so I'm done.

Well – in all honesty – Guy, that should be precisely the reason for which you should stay, IMO. (thumbs u

This. What was it that Edmund Burke said...about the only thing necessary for evil to triumph?

You're a real class act techvoodoo. It would be a shame to see you go. You're one of the individuals who embodies the spirit of this thread - giving.

Ship anywhere in US for free, cover $10 for anywhere else.

Please choose 3 options

OPTION #1:

Lot of 8 Archie related comics - All bronze age issues - G/VG

Laugh 247, 262, 273, 274

Pep 253,274

Life with Archie 129

Mad House Annual 11

20130808_210337_zps2cbfd2b8.jpg

OPTION #2:

KAFKA 1-6 - Complete series (Renegade Press - 1987)

20130727_225241_zps25d8ab43.jpg

OPTION #3:

Kraven the Hunter figure

20130901_214258_zps5df4f432.jpg

OPTION #4:

West Coast Avengers - Issues 1-10, 16, 19, 21

Range from F+ to VF condition

7cc7fae5-336f-4499-8c50-346e95e9b818_zps69b47944.jpg

OPTION #5:

Batman: Mitefall & Realworlds Batman

20130912_211852_zpsbd3d2b81.jpg

OPTION #6:

The Crow on Bluray - Brand new sealed

20130912_202736_zpsaf719f74.jpg

OPTION #7:

Magneto 0-4 (1993-1997)

20130929_081307_zps3bed55ec.jpg

OPTION #8:

Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four Silver Rage TPB (2007)

Collects Spider-Man/Fantastic Four (2007) #1-4. Written by JEFF PARKER. Art and cover by MIKE WIERINGO. Two great tastes that taste great together! The world's greatest super hero and the world's greatest super team collide for an adventure set nowhere near a Civil War (and upon which we will not put a CIVIL WAR tie-in label)! After a visit by the Impossible Man, your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man is faced with a dangerous new alien threat for which he has only one recourse...call in the Fantastic Four. Separately, Spidey and the FF are the foundation of the Marvel Universe. Together...they just may save it! Softcover, 96 pages

20130929_081450_zps6f9257f3.jpg

OPTION #9:

Fantastic Four The End TPB (2008)

Collects Fantastic Four: The End (2006) #1-6. Story and art by ALAN DAVIS. Alan Davis writes and pencils the final story of Marvel's first family! Even the strongest family can be torn apart by tragedy - and in the futuristic world of tomorrow, the members of the once Fantastic Four are divided and vulnerable to opponents from their past. What events could have caused the FF to go their separate ways, and how does their disbanding set the stage for a conflict that will send shockwaves across the galaxy and beyond? Softcover, 144 pages

20130929_212118_zpsfb1da02d.jpg

OPTION #10:

DAREDEVIL 33 & 34 - 1st prints - Brian Michael Bendis/Maleev

20130908_215337_zps0822bb0a.jpg

:bump: added a couple more options

Maybe it's just that no one is interested in the current offer (shrug)

I've got a ton of stuff that I could offer, if I see something that interests me. Hopefully from a fellow Canadian :grin:

Hi there - just so you know, the Ronald McDonald House here didn't want my comics, so I am going to make a donation to some charity in your name, since we couldn't close that deal here earlier.

(thumbs u

-slym