• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

I told my wife about 20 minutes ago,

"Y'know, rfoiii is totally gonna be in my TPB library exchange"

She gave me blank stares and said "Who is in the what now?"

:facepalm: Mixing boardieland and real life is so hard. My solution. Boardieland is real life :sumo:

Rfoiii, welcome the the party!

:facepalm: Mixing boardieland and real life is so hard. My solution. Boardieland is real life :sumo:

tumblr_lu419rDeQl1r0w390.jpg

tumblr_lu419rDeQl1r0w390.jpg

Yes.

lol Well, that's three. I'll let this sit a night. Remember, 10 max including myself. I will (thumbs u or thumbs down your entrance. Requirements:

1. You have to actually read the stuff. No ebay flipping etc. allowed

2. You have to check the boards often (don't take this one too far)

3. You must have AT LEAST 500 posts. So you have to be a trusted member of the boards.

4. If you are on the PL or HOS, leave

5. If I don't like you, we've got a problem

lol Well, that's three. I'll let this sit a night. Remember, 10 max including myself. I will (thumbs u or thumbs down your entrance. Requirements:

1. You have to actually read the stuff. No ebay flipping etc. allowed

2. You have to check the boards often (don't take this one too far)

3. You must have AT LEAST 500 posts. So you have to be a trusted member of the boards.

4. If you are on the PL or HOS, leave

5. If I don't like you, we've got a problem

Hey guys, how about starting a new thread for this new venture? It's bad enough that the thread goes dormant for days at a time, we don't need to muddle up the current offer with something that has nothing to do with the PIF.

And what the heck is the current offer anyway, it's gotten buried under these other discussions. :facepalm:

And what the heck is the current offer anyway, it's gotten buried under these other discussions. :facepalm:

BigDaddy has to take pics first.

-slym

Perhaps a new rule should be added, stating that if you're going to take an offer, you should have what you're going to offer, including pics, descriptions, etc. ready to go. And it would probably be a good idea to have a few "extra" items ready to go, in case your items are still not being claimed.

This is what is causing this thread to slowly die off. You have the people who have their "stuff" together, post their items with pics, and/or descriptions, but then their items get taken by people who "will get around to getting their items up sometime later tonight, tomorrow, or whenever they get around to it.

And has been said before by many people in this thread over the last few months, the inequalities between what is taken and what if offered occasionally borders on the absurd. We've had people take 9.8 slabs, only to then offer 3 or 4 books that might, just might fetch a dollar combined on a good day, and say that that is literally all they can offer up for this thread. If you know you're offer is going to be on the weak side, you don't go and take something that may well be worth 50 times what you're offering.

When this thread was going strong, we had dozens of participants, everyone feverishly hitting refresh, just waiting to see not only what was coming up next, but what they could offer that they knew many other boardies might enjoy. When we have people who take higher-end offers, who then offer just a few dollar books in exchange, we have a problem where a program that was created to promote goodwill, camaraderie, and a "network" of friends and fellow collectors could trade amongst themselves, gets taken advantage of.

What was once strong and thriving has withered on the vine. When we have boardies trying to step in and offer up items because the current offers couldn't draw maggots to a dead body, we have a problem. I applaud those of you who keep offering to "step up" to the plate, to cover for those who have failed, but at this point, the vital signs on this thread are slowly and inexorably flat-lining.

There is a reason that it has basically become the same small group of people now actively involved in this thread. Everyone else got tired of giving meaningful and valuable items, only to see their generosity being taken advantage of.

The thread goes for days at a time with no responses, yet nothing can be done to save it. Too many people got tired of "taking a bullet", when they'd take and item they had no interest in because the current offers at the time would be sitting there for a week or two, or in some cases three weeks. I know of at least 5 boardies who no longer take part in this thread, just because this kept happening. It was almost becoming "rock, paper, scissors" over who was going to "take one for the team", just to get the thread moving again.

The end just may be here...

grave_digging.jpg

beek2.jpg

BigDaddy has to take pics first.

-slym

Perhaps a new rule should be added, stating that if you're going to take an offer, you should have what you're going to offer, including pics, descriptions, etc. ready to go. And it would probably be a good idea to have a few "extra" items ready to go, in case your items are still not being claimed.

This is what is causing this thread to slowly die off. You have the people who have their "stuff" together, post their items with pics, and/or descriptions, but then their items get taken by people who "will get around to getting their items up sometime later tonight, tomorrow, or whenever they get around to it.

And has been said before by many people in this thread over the last few months, the inequalities between what is taken and what if offered occasionally borders on the absurd. We've had people take 9.8 slabs, only to then offer 3 or 4 books that might, just might fetch a dollar combined on a good day, and say that that is literally all they can offer up for this thread. If you know you're offer is going to be on the weak side, you don't go and take something that may well be worth 50 times what you're offering.

When this thread was going strong, we had dozens of participants, everyone feverishly hitting refresh, just waiting to see not only what was coming up next, but what they could offer that they knew many other boardies might enjoy. When we have people who take higher-end offers, who then offer just a few dollar books in exchange, we have a problem where a program that was created to promote goodwill, camaraderie, and a "network" of friends and fellow collectors could trade amongst themselves, gets taken advantage of.

What was once strong and thriving has withered on the vine. When we have boardies trying to step in and offer up items because the current offers couldn't draw maggots to a dead body, we have a problem. I applaud those of you who keep offering to "step up" to the plate, to cover for those who have failed, but at this point, the vital signs on this thread are slowly and inexorably flat-lining.

There is a reason that it has basically become the same small group of people now actively involved in this thread. Everyone else got tired of giving meaningful and valuable items, only to see their generosity being taken advantage of.

The thread goes for days at a time with no responses, yet nothing can be done to save it. Too many people got tired of "taking a bullet", when they'd take and item they had no interest in because the current offers at the time would be sitting there for a week or two, or in some cases three weeks. I know of at least 5 boardies who no longer take part in this thread, just because this kept happening. It was almost becoming "rock, paper, scissors" over who was going to "take one for the team", just to get the thread moving again.

The end just may be here...

grave_digging.jpg

beek2.jpg

+1 to the majority of that.

I am forever worried about how my offerings will look. That is one reason I always do a "choose two options" and I won't stop that, but I might have to say "choose one from this section and then one from this section," because (and I am in no way disparaging the last person to take one of my offers) the last time I offered stuff up, the two absolute best things got taken. I try to offer up at least one TPB and then some other things that are, to me, interesting. I have no idea of the $-value of those Deadman issues in my latest batch of books, but it is an interesting read and to me, that's what this thread is about - picking up stuff I might never buy for myself that looks somewhat interesting.

We still have good days here, where many offers are taken and put up throughout a short period, but not like we used to. The long stretches are becoming more frequent, and that's why I said I want to get more people in here that haven't done this before, and maybe get some of those older members back. My sig-line is one way I am trying to draw people in, but I guess if I want to do that, I need to be more pro-active. Maybe start looking back and contacting older PIF people, see if I can get them to at least take a look, and maybe I need to start actively recruiting newer members.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of spare cash even for sending books out, but I am not going to let that stop me from getting something I see as good (like the two X-Men trades I posted the "takeit" on.)

Anyone else want to try and expand our realm? Talk more about this thread in other ones, but don't be obnoxious about it. Link this thread in your sigs. Talk to some people when they make disparaging remarks about this thread and try to figure out why they say those things, and then gently correct them. Let people know we aren't giving away one FCBD book, and even if so, it doesn't cost $7.95 to ship it.

Only we can save our thread. Don't let it die!

-slym

Only we can save our thread. Don't let it die!

-slym

smokey1-det.gif

Couldn't resist sorry. It would be nice to see an offer move once daily but as Joe mentioned we need more "members" who participate to have that happen. By only having some 10 individuals it is harder to find something that they want vs having 100 individuals. There are times when this thread is moving and I log in and see lots of post and like mess I am sure I missed something I would be interested in and other days the thread goes dormant for days. I think it is really up to the one offering to generate some buzz about their PIF.

Like you said your previous offer:

Deadman issues - offering these cause the read and the art is awesome if you haven't and are a fan of X or Y you should give this a read. Not knowing about the series but seeing the book may appeal to me would definitely make me more inclined to pick it up.

*Shipping is always an issue with us non US residents* I do try and get to the US to ship things out regularly but would hate someone who is excited to receive my offer wait 3 weeks because I won't be able to ship it out to them until then (else shipping can be $20+).

I agree a lot with what Joecgc said. I used to be a very active participant and always tried to give more than I had taken but now I just monitor and try to help new participants. There were several incidents that I saw that I thought was just wrong. Not to go into particulars but one that really stood out is when a very nice item was claimed within minutes of being posted and in return a few comics from the dollar bin was offered. Now, the spirit of the thread is giving and some have greater means than others but still.....

Note: These comments are not about Big Daddy. He actually has four current offers up that got buried. I will bump them now.

Edit: I tried to bump them but pictures not coming out. Maybe one of you guys can get it to work.

Remember when posts in this thread actually contained offers?

Ahh, good times...

Big Daddy, simply put, you have to do better than what you're doing.

And the most frustrating thing is, as soon as certain boardies post the :takeit: on an offer, you just know before their offer is even posted, that most likely it's going to suck. And 9.5 out of 10 times, it does suck, and then the thread just sits for days while the people interested in keeping this thread alive, play a game of "musical chairs", literally circling around waiting to see if someone else is going to take the "dud" offering, until it gets to a put that they just bite their own tongues and take it, just to keep the thread going.

Slym, as far as I'm concerned, I've never had a problem with your offerings. Hell, I took your Age of Apocalypse lot, it was a great set of books in high grade with almost "bullet-proof" packing. I've also liked some of your other offers (had to fight from taking the Excalibur lot) you kept posting, but I just didn't want to take an item, then put something decent up, only to have somebody come along with a few ratty quarter-bin fodder books, that would then kill the thread until the next game of "musical chairs".

I've already said my peace earlier about taking an offer that was worth 50 times more than what a person could either "afford to offer", or the lame "I don't really have any other books to offer,all the while they're running sales threads with the type of books that would have been perfect for the PIF. We're not all rich, some of us are barely getting by, but even so, we we're able to keep this going just because we offered up books that we could have easily sold, all in the name and spirit of this thread. Then we would get the "violators" who would take more than they would ever offer in return, in some cases re-selling the items here or on e-bay, or claim they didn't have anything more to offer in the PIF, while not only running sales threads, but then running WTB and Want to Trades in the sale area, where he would claim to have thousands of books that people were looking for, and even sending PMs to people, wanting to know if they wanted to trade books with him, rather than him buy the books from you. :facepalm:

Here's the current set of offers from Big.Daddy.

OK, I will clean this up some

Option 1

Choose 2 helmets!!

Riddell micro helmet

The scale size to a regular helmet is 1/3.

I have 2 of some teams, if you want. (please PM to make sure)

photo helmet_zps40a50df2.jpg

photo 2013-09-0805-01-33-081_zps19fc2b10.jpg

photo IMG_20121230_193552.jpg

photo IMG_20121230_193743.jpg

photo CameraEffects-22.jpg

Option 2

Green Bay Packers

1. Ahman Green McFarlane figure

2.100 different Packers cards.

3. Packers coin from the 1960's

Forrest Gregg - Salada Tea Coin

so rare, it is not on ebay!!

no pictures because my scanner is broke and I lost my phone

Option 3

Because somebody asked for comics. :screwy:Take all three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marvel Encyclopedia vol 4 The Amazing Spider-Man

photo 2013-12-1303-55-25-089_edited_zpsfcd7ec87.jpg

Sorry about the pick, no scanner either...

The Hardcover is sealed so no worries. (thumbs u

Marvel Holliday Special

photo 2013-12-1404-40-39-947_resized1_zpsb92e583f.jpg

DOOM TPB

photo 2013-12-1404-39-54-266_resized1_zps935670c8.jpg

International shipping , I pay first $10.

Option 4

Ok, Here is another offer.

Guess the theme. :whistle:

FYI - My scanner is broke, so these old scans are from last year.

photo Top-017.jpg

photo Top-047.jpg

photo bcfe03e6-7547-4259-91fb-23f27247ce64_zps707fdfd1.jpg

photo 144118ad-f438-4417-a6c6-ecf734602c3f_zps8ce79c7a.jpg

The Star Has Been added.

photo dbf9838f-f072-40da-a7d6-d6fa4b83e8b6_zps0b2ba37a.jpg

The stars have been added.

Plus 3 more comics.

Must be 18 or over.

If this is against the rules, let me know and I will delete.

International shipping , I pay first $10.

(to quote this one you have to change Markup to be "using HTML and UBBCode)