• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

To me, there is a difference in generosity and getting screwed. No one was going to be able to match the CGC X-Men #3, but if all I was gonna offer was two common comics afterward, I wouldn't claim the thing.

Please inform me how someone is "getting screwed" as they receive nothing in return for their offering.

It isn't about dollar value. There are other forms of value than monetary. I heard one person here might offer up some relatively common books, but they are all signed by the creator. Not CGC SS, just raw - and to me, that is a pretty valuable offering. It has nothing to do with money.

Do I really need to point out the rules where it says to not discuss value?

I'll reiterate. I actively do not participate in this thread when people like you and joecgcmaniac complain. I'm not the only one either. We've had this discussion, in this thread, before.

Thank you for continuing to ignore the rules and suck the fun out of this thread at every opportunity.

Thank you for continuing to ignore the rules and suck the fun out of this thread at every opportunity.

I am glad me "ignoring the rules and sucking the fun out of this thread" kept it going for so long while I was here. Not that I was the be-all, end-all of this place, but I thought I helped. I guess I was wrong.

Also, I am trying to find out where I have been ignoring the rules (as it is told, one isn't supposed to discuss dollar value, not any other kind) as well as sucking the fun out. Ths is the first I have heard of it, for having being discussed in this very forum.

I honestly thought I was doing pretty good here. Oh well, it's better off without me, I can see that now.

:whistle:

-slym

Also, I am trying to find out where I have been ignoring the rules (as it is told, one isn't supposed to discuss dollar value, not any other kind) as well as sucking the fun out. Ths is the first I have heard of it, for having being discussed in this very forum.

"-Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them"

An exact copy and paste of the rule referencing value. I don't see the word dollar in there at all.

Feel free to respond via PM if you care to continue this discussion. No reason to continue bogging down the thread.

So the cycle of the PIF continues and with this round slym2none, for all his good intentions and efforts, is left feeling taken advantage of and drops out.

Which boardie will offer worthwhile suggestions of improvement that are viciously dismissed by a revolving door of 4-5 different junk donkeys? Because you know, something that is frequently pointed out as broken is never worth improving, despite well thought out suggestions.

Which boardie will drop in to offer something really cool and is then met with a steamy pile of drek in return? Or is that well completely dry?

Will 99.9% of the board continue to dismiss this thread due to these same problems? Probably.

Stay tuned!

Not to mention, this thread truly has become what many initial "objectors" to the thread said it would be become. This thread should have it's title changed to "junk donkey dumping ground", and be "unstickied" by the mods.

That way, if nobody takes the current offer, it'll just keep falling lower and lower down the list of threads, until eventually it disappears, until about 7 years from now when somebody comes along and claims the long-dead offer. :insane:

All one has to do is look at what type of books and other items were being offered in the beginning, and what is being offered now-a-days. Not to mention, at the beginning, there were a lot of boardies participating, but now, it seems like the same 3-5 people, with an occasional noob showing up, but with only a small pool of participants, the offers are seemingly getting lower and lower.

This thread had a good run, but until people are willing to "step up to the plate" and put up decent offers, it's done.

:tonofbricks:

I agree 100%.

:(

-slym

So basically, you're complaining that people's offers aren't good enough. And then in the same breath, wondering why nobody participates any more.

Maybe people don't participate because when they try, the pay it forward police jump on them for having offers that aren't good enough.

You cite what was being offered at the beginning. What I remember about the beginning is that the thread was supposed to be a way to give people cool comics for free. What I will never understand is how anyone who chooses to participate in a thread designed entirely to give things to other people out of generosity can possibly be offended when their offers get claimed by someone who can't themselves offer up some high value book in return. Those claimants aren't taking advantage of anything, because they aren't taking - you're giving.

I can't speak for why other people stopped participating in this thread, but it was once my favorite thread on these boards until people decided it shouldn't be about generosity but rather should be a measuring competition policed by people with a price guide in one hand.

2c

100% agree. I took the books I thought would be a good read not the most valuable. It really shouldn't matter the books are free. Just because it's not a super rare or high dollar book shouldn't matter. the books may be 90's junk to you but I thought they were good reads so I offered them and someone took them.

That defenders book is worth a few books. It may not be a graded X-Men book but it's still one of my favorite stories. Just because it's a junk book to you doesn't mean it's a junk book to everyone else and did I mention it's FREE

Don't take it if you don't want it. Everyone has different tastes, just because you don't like it doesn't mean someone else won't enjoy it.

Seems like if it's not a key book people aren't happy. I still enjoying reading comics just as much as collecting them

I can't let Slym fall on his sword alone here. I don't think it is fair to tell him that he sucked the fun out of the thread. That is a pretty harsh statement. Him and I have been working hard to let new people to the boards know about PIF and/or welcome them here when they discover it. I am sure some of the new members can confirm this. Slym is not a bean counter who analyzes every post for value. He is just not like that. I think he is referring to the eyeball test on what appears right. Perhaps that view is different from person to person but that does not change the fact that a lot of old members stated publicly they were done with the thread because of the very reasons Slym brought up.

Look, I love this thread. This is one of the first things I discovered on the boards when I joined and where I met most of my best boardie friends. If the thread dies, then that is just the way things go. Personally, I hope it continues to thrive and more people discover it in the future.

I can't let Slym fall on his sword alone here. I don't think it is fair to tell him that he sucked the fun out of the thread. That is a pretty harsh statement. Him and I have been working hard to let new people to the boards know about PIF and/or welcome them here when they discover it. I am sure some of the new members can confirm this. Slym is not a bean counter who analyzes every post for value. He is just not like that. I think he is referring to the eyeball test on what appears right. Perhaps that view is different from person to person but that does not change the fact that a lot of old members stated publicly they were done with the thread because of the very reasons Slym brought up.

Look, I love this thread. This is one of the first things I discovered on the boards when I joined and where I met most of my best boardie friends. If the thread dies, then that is just the way things go. Personally, I hope it continues to thrive and more people discover it in the future.

+1

Seems like if it's not a key book people aren't happy. I still enjoying reading comics just as much as collecting them

Agreed, and I would have loved to grab that stack of OS's, but I didn't realize he was a fellow Ontarian until his offer was long gone - love reading the market reports in the old editions. :cloud9:

I don't want to open up old wounds or embarrass anyone, but what exactly did the "CGC X-Men #3" recipient offer back that has everyone's knickers in a bunch?

No one was going to be able to match the CGC X-Men #3, but if all I was gonna offer was two common comics afterward, I wouldn't claim the thing.

I agree with this statement (if true) as you really need some common sense when dealing with this type of offer. It's really not cool to grab a gold brick and offer up an piece of tinfoil after. And if all you have is tinfoil, maybe you don't ask for the gold brick.

That's my own personal world-view anyway. (shrug)

There is nothing welcoming about this statement in response to an offer:

I think I am about done with this thread.

Anybody else?

-slym

He wasn't stating it toward the PIF'er, but was making a generalized statement. He was simply replying to the thread in general. Taking that statement at face value, after all of his time here, isn't it a bit harsh to say he sucked the life out of the thread. That is kind of brutal to a guy that genuinely loves this thread.

Agreed, and I would have loved to grab that stack of OS's, but I didn't realize he was a fellow Ontarian until his offer was long gone - love reading the market reports in the old editions. :cloud9:

I don't want to open up old wounds or embarrass anyone, but what exactly did the "CGC X-Men #3" recipient offer back that has everyone's knickers in a bunch?

No one was going to be able to match the CGC X-Men #3, but if all I was gonna offer was two common comics afterward, I wouldn't claim the thing.

I agree with this statement (if true) as you really need some common sense when dealing with this type of offer. It's really not cool to grab a gold brick and offer up an piece of tinfoil after. And if all you have is tinfoil, maybe you don't ask for the gold brick.

That's my own personal world-view anyway. (shrug)

This is what I offered up for the CGC 3.0 slightly brittle pages and I don't know why this is brought up as an example of two common comics - options 1 and 2 were taken:

I don't believe anything I put up could approach the awesomeness of thunsickers's offer, however I hope someone will quickly grab a couple of the comic book options:

Free Media Mail shipping in the USA, I'll pay the first $15 internationally.

Pick 2 options of the following comic book options:

OPTION #1

X-MEN 100 I believe VG/VG+ has non-color breaking creases on front and back cover, they probably won't show up in the scan so please don't think this is Fine or better.

x-men1001_zps15e2053a.jpg

x-men1002_zpsa315d226.jpg

OPTION #2

5 nice bronze marvel #1s all VF or better, pressing would raise the grades.

Eternals #1

John Carter #1

tarzan #1

Devil Dinosaur #1

Red Sonja #1

marvel5_zps4d363360.jpg

marvel4_zps05a02e6f.jpg

marvel1_zpse729aabb.jpg

marvel3_zps45649fbd.jpg

marvel2_zpse34f4ee2.jpg

OPTION #3

DC 80 PAGE GIANT LOT - a reader lot but they are old silver DCs

80 Page Giant #6 spine splits at top and bottom

80 Page Giant #7 best of this lot at Verygood

80 Page Giant #4 cover loose

80 Page Giant #3 front cover loose, tape

Flash Annual #1 missing back cover

Superman 183 spine splits at top and bottom

80lot1_zps1fb553f1.jpg

80lot2_zps99c6d4cb.jpg

OPTION #4

Sealed 3 pack of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Issues 1-3

Sorry the pic is bad, the bag shows wear but is unopened

ij3pack_zpsf41244da.jpg

OPTION #5

Book and Record Lot

2 Spider-Man and 2 Superman (1 Superman cover is by Neal Adams)

average about VG records are with each one, record conditions vary.

recordlot_zps5a2ee8bb.jpg

I don't think he was saying the person after your offer only offered up 2 common comics. I think he was saying:

a) not all offers need to be a CGC Xmen #3

b) unrelated to a... but if you are going to claim something good, offer something good.

But maybe I missed the point?

Boatfund, I do not think anyone was talking about you or your offers specifically. It was more that an X-Men 3 was offered and within a few turns it was back to two common comics. No one expects high dollar items like that every offer otherwise within a few weeks we would be offering AF15s. Try not to take the current discussion as an attack on you, trust me!