• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

@fmaz: That is very nice of you but I can’t claim it as I have just done a PIF offering.

I have no interest in the current Bullseye "fad", but I loved the character as it was initially created on Daredevil, and it’s unlikely I’ll pay for a nice copy…

1602… I could chime in but I won’t say nice things so I’ll stay put.

It’s a document on how Marvel changed, worth having (CAHokie gifted me a run) but better to know the historical fact Gaiman used as a starting point, which is a 19th century fact he retroactively dates in the 17th century.

@fmaz: That is very nice of you but I can’t claim it as I have just done a PIF offering.

I have no interest in the current Bullseye "fad", but I loved the character as it was initially created on Daredevil, and it’s unlikely I’ll pay for a nice copy…

It’s a document on how Marvel changed, worth having (CAHokie gifted me a run) but better to know the historical fact Gaiman used as a starting point, which is a 19th century fact he retroactively dates in the 17th century.

That's so funny that you have negative things to say about it (I'd actually love to hear it!) because I was bored and in Barnes and Noble and bought it because it looked pretty interesting and so far I'm REALLY enjoying it.

That's so funny that you have negative things to say about it (I'd actually love to hear it!) because I was bored and in Barnes and Noble and bought it because it looked pretty interesting and so far I'm REALLY enjoying it.

I could say a few positive things about it as well (starting from the great cover artwork and some potentially great ideas) but the story is a perfect example of how a writer can turn things inside out and bend them to his whim, instead of putting himself in service of the characters and/or what they represented. Not a big deal in today‘s scenario, as Marvel is doing it with 95% of what they put out, it’s just the opposite of what the Marvel age meant.

Aside from that, Gaiman’s talent is not into question, but 1602, rather than a good Marvel "What If", looks and feels mostly like a pamphlet (a "tract" you could say in english) to spread Gaiman’s preconceived ideas (substantially taking a superficial stance about the historical fact and apparently deliberately mystifying it). The fact is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgardo_Mortara

(Mortara corresponds to Magneto in the story, if you were wondering, but most of it is totally invented).

I have to admit this story deprived me of the little love I had for Gaiman, mostly because it’s precisely the opposite of what I expect from good literature, and from a Marvel story in particular. But as far as the current PIF goes, I could say it is worth having, even just to get more curiosity and desire to understand its historical bases.

Well, unless I hear from Valliant, here are some offers.

I'll pick up shipping in the US. Rest of the world... sorry! :-) Seriously, though, for those outside the US, if you are interested please contact me via PM before posting an "I'll take it" and I'm happy to try to work out shipping with you, and if we can do so that would be great. I've simply never done it before and am more than willing to pitch in the same amount I'd be paying domestically.

Please pick one of the offers below.

Offer #1 - Web of Spider-Man (2009) Complete Run 1-12

Fun book, and the issues 2-6 were part of the Gauntlet storyline, with a different "big bad" each issue... Electro, Rhino, Mysterio, Vulture, Lizard... all with great covers.

WebofSpiderman.jpg

Offer #2 - Avenging Spider-Man (Near Complete Run)

Started off as a Marvel Team-Up book, and ended up being a launching point for the Superior Spider-Man. Fun stuff. Not a complete run for some reason. I think it was when I was switching from my local comic shop to online subscription so I missed issues. Anyway, here's what is in the set since you can't tell from the picture: 1,2,4,7-22.. with doubles of 11. Plus a 15.1 (I think that's the debut of Superior Spider-Man in the title) and an Annual #1).

AvengingSpidey.jpg

Offer #3 - 1602 - 1st Printing hardcover - 2004

Collects 1602 1-8, the entire series by Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert touching base on the entire Marvel universe if it took place in the 17th century. I'm not sure how successful this was. I know a lot of people who enjoyed it more than I did. Worth reading if you haven't.

1602.jpg

I'd like to add offers 4 & 5 to this, but Verizon is at the house right now so no internet access for our computer... So I can't do photos. I can tell you what they will be, though. Can't imagine photos will make much of an impact. :-)

Offer #4 complete run 1-25 of Robert Kirkman's MTU series from 2005.

Offer #5 complete run 1-22 of Marvel Knights Spider-Man from 2004

Of the two, I'd pick #4. It was a fun read. As anyone who enjoys Kirkman's stuff knows.

Thanks!

I'd like to add offers 4 & 5 to this, but Verizon is at the house right now so no internet access for our computer... So I can't do photos. I can tell you what they will be, though. Can't imagine photos will make much of an impact. :-)

Offer #4 complete run 1-25 of Robert Kirkman's MTU series from 2005.

Offer #5 complete run 1-22 of Marvel Knights Spider-Man from 2004

Of the two, I'd pick #4. It was a fun read. As anyone who enjoys Kirkman's stuff knows.

Thanks!

I will second that. The 25-issue run of MTU was a lot more enjoyable than I had expected.

I could say a few positive things about it as well (starting from the great cover artwork and some potentially great ideas) but the story is a perfect example of how a writer can turn things inside out and bend them to his whim, instead of putting himself in service of the characters and/or what they represented. Not a big deal in today‘s scenario, as Marvel is doing it with 95% of what they put out, it’s just the opposite of what the Marvel age meant.

Aside from that, Gaiman’s talent is not into question, but 1602, rather than a good Marvel "What If", looks and feels mostly like a pamphlet (a "tract" you could say in english) to spread Gaiman’s preconceived ideas (substantially taking a superficial stance about the historical fact and apparently deliberately mystifying it). The fact is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgardo_Mortara

(Mortara corresponds to Magneto in the story, if you were wondering, but most of it is totally invented).

I have to admit this story deprived me of the little love I had for Gaiman, mostly because it’s precisely the opposite of what I expect from good literature, and from a Marvel story in particular. But as far as the current PIF goes, I could say it is worth having, even just to get more curiosity and desire to understand its historical bases.

To be honest, I've completely missed so far that the story had any bearing in reality. I've taken it at very face value that it's just the Marvel characters set in the early 17th century. In that way I've enjoyed it very much.

I would agree though, that if this is supposed to be some historical treatise using the Marvel characters as a grand analogy, I would find it much more lacking.

Well, unless I hear from Valliant, here are some offers.

I'll pick up shipping in the US. Rest of the world... sorry! :-) Seriously, though, for those outside the US, if you are interested please contact me via PM before posting an "I'll take it" and I'm happy to try to work out shipping with you, and if we can do so that would be great. I've simply never done it before and am more than willing to pitch in the same amount I'd be paying domestically.

Please pick one of the offers below.

Offer #1 - Web of Spider-Man (2009) Complete Run 1-12

Fun book, and the issues 2-6 were part of the Gauntlet storyline, with a different "big bad" each issue... Electro, Rhino, Mysterio, Vulture, Lizard... all with great covers.

WebofSpiderman.jpg

Offer #2 - Avenging Spider-Man (Near Complete Run)

Started off as a Marvel Team-Up book, and ended up being a launching point for the Superior Spider-Man. Fun stuff. Not a complete run for some reason. I think it was when I was switching from my local comic shop to online subscription so I missed issues. Anyway, here's what is in the set since you can't tell from the picture: 1,2,4,7-22.. with doubles of 11. Plus a 15.1 (I think that's the debut of Superior Spider-Man in the title) and an Annual #1).

AvengingSpidey.jpg

Offer #3 - 1602 - 1st Printing hardcover - 2004

Collects 1602 1-8, the entire series by Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert touching base on the entire Marvel universe if it took place in the 17th century. I'm not sure how successful this was. I know a lot of people who enjoyed it more than I did. Worth reading if you haven't.

1602.jpg

Here are offers 4 & 5, now with photos

Offer #4 - MTU Complete Run (1-25)

Fun run of Marvel Team Up books, all writen by Robert Kirkman

MTU.jpg

Offer #5 - Marvel Knights Spider-Man - Complete Run (1-22)

This is a "complete run" for this title... but it then changed to something else... "spectacular" I think? Not sure. But it was part of the Marvel Knight's line and an "edgier" Spidey, courtesy of Mark Millar - who wrote books 1-12.

MKSpiderman.jpg

By the way, all... No ego here. If those offers aren't up to snuff let me know and I'm happy to pull back my claim for the book I took and let things move forward. No worries on my part. Didn't mean to grind things to a halt. :-)

I'm in the process of pulling books for a for sale thread but it's all small stuff so these were the big runs I thought people might be interested in.

If you think they're worthy of leaving out there for people to checkout until the expiration period (when is that, by the way?) that's fine too!

Frank

You got it,bb8! I'll get it all packed up and ready to go for when your offer gets taken.

As for me, I must have mistaken the crickets that were due to people who couldn't participate for crickets due to non interest. lol

You got it,bb8! I'll get it all packed up and ready to go for when your offer gets taken.

As for me, I must have mistaken the crickets that were due to people who couldn't participate for crickets due to non interest. lol

they were great offers, dont think otherwise. If I wasnt in the midst of downsizing I would have jumped on any one of those runs!

they were great offers, dont think otherwise. If I wasnt in the midst of downsizing I would have jumped on any one of those runs!

Gotcha, thanks. I only occasionally poke my nose in this thread and it's only the second time I've participated ... Seems like it normally moves really quickly so I just didn't want to be the guy who shot the clown at the party. :-). But that's good to know. I'll hang onto the other stuff and when I'm eligible to participate again I'll feel ok jumping back in! And if I can find some other stuff that people might like here in the meantime while I'm building my sales thread I'll set it aside!

Thanks

I was tempted to hit the MTU lot by Kirkman but don't always want to take the cool stuff ;) Runs like that are always a good offer in my opinion. I love to claim runs of stuff I have never read. I don't even care about the condition as long as it is a good read. :)

Lets have one of those epic PIF weekends. I have a stack of stuff I want to give away to you people. :banana: