• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant Omnibus

414 posts in this topic

It used to break my heart watching people manhandle comics, but I've got to the point now that it doesn't by telling myself "the worse other people treat their books, the more valuable/rare my copy is." If you are a real purist, that sentiment won't work.

That may end up being a very expensive book. And to see someone just flipping through it like that on kitchen tiles, there are Valiant fanatics that are going to scream, "Off with his head!"

I punched my computer screen in anger...

I hope my LCS mixes it in with the normal variants and sells it to me with the other Valiant variants at the same price!

I am known there as the "Valiant Guy" so hopefully I get real lucky!!!

If not I can always fight the owner...Works every time...

Well, I think someone got confused and bid on the wrong Valiant Black.

:eek:

Valiant Black Auction

$(KGrHqNHJCkE8fYbwz2cBPJbEeD)j!~~60_57.JPG

Actually this smells of a Valiant Fans project purchase. Call me suspicious but usually when cheap valiant books are bought in bulk like this in the past you suddenly find them all remarked and signed by the original artist/editor/colorist and certified by ValiantMan. hm The are sold for $40-50 to recoup cost and the Valiant fans, rightfully so, go nuts. (thumbs u

I am glad MY LCS owner is smart & knows how to do his job & has me down for all valiant books cause I simply can't keep track of all they are putting out ...

Bookmark this:

http://www.valiantfan.com/valiant/releaseorder.asp?uni=0

Archer & Armstrong #2 and Bloodshot #3 are out today.

(thumbs u

Well, I think someone got confused and bid on the wrong Valiant Black.

:eek:

Valiant Black Auction

$(KGrHqNHJCkE8fYbwz2cBPJbEeD)j!~~60_57.JPG

Actually this smells of a Valiant Fans project purchase. Call me suspicious but usually when cheap valiant books are bought in bulk like this in the past you suddenly find them all remarked and signed by the original artist/editor/colorist and certified by ValiantMan. hm The are sold for $40-50 to recoup cost and the Valiant fans, rightfully so, go nuts. (thumbs u

I have an unopened string tied bundle of Valiant Voice #1 that I bought when it came out.

DG

I know of one misstep they made however that has soured them in my eyes as well as some others I've talked to, and that is the proliferation of hard to find variants. That was not very "collector" friendly IMHO. Speculator friendly, sure. So much so, that even DCBS has raised the price for these variants to a point to make the price to "collect them all" unreasonable. Time will tell if that will prove to have been a smart choice or not on their part.

I understand the concern. Let's see what the path looks like ahead and decide from there. I hope for the best.

:foryou:

That's a fair criticism, but the the original Valiant made "collect them all" nearly impossible as well.

There were 5,000 copies of Gold issues at a time when print runs were 500,000. That's 1:100, pre-internet.

Collectors either needed to know a dealer (who would supply them all) or have unlimited funds.

Yes, collectors could win Gold issues as well, but the chances of winning a dozen different Gold issues were zero... no one won all of them.

Only years later were most of us able to "collect them all"...

which should be reasonable for new Valiant, too, if collectors wait like they did for old Valiant.

The internet and money can pretty much supply everything.

I think that making excessive variants is a really short sighted gain. Harris published excessive numbers of variants for their titles and it's one of the deadest dead universes there is. Collectors need a sense of pride in what they own. Who takes pride in owning 20 covers and having only 4 different stories? I don't. If you have variants that are too rare, you limit the number of collectors who can ever take pride in owning a full set.

An analogy (because my perspective is anal):

Walking into a field and finding a hidden Easter egg with a prize makes the chase fun. Filling a field with Easter eggs and having them in plain view with a jacked up cost provides completely the opposite effect.

DG

I know of one misstep they made however that has soured them in my eyes as well as some others I've talked to, and that is the proliferation of hard to find variants. That was not very "collector" friendly IMHO. Speculator friendly, sure. So much so, that even DCBS has raised the price for these variants to a point to make the price to "collect them all" unreasonable. Time will tell if that will prove to have been a smart choice or not on their part.

I understand the concern. Let's see what the path looks like ahead and decide from there. I hope for the best.

:foryou:

That's a fair criticism, but the the original Valiant made "collect them all" nearly impossible as well.

There were 5,000 copies of Gold issues at a time when print runs were 500,000. That's 1:100, pre-internet.

Collectors either needed to know a dealer (who would supply them all) or have unlimited funds.

Yes, collectors could win Gold issues as well, but the chances of winning a dozen different Gold issues were zero... no one won all of them.

Only years later were most of us able to "collect them all"...

which should be reasonable for new Valiant, too, if collectors wait like they did for old Valiant.

The internet and money can pretty much supply everything.

I think that making excessive variants is a really short sighted gain. Harris published excessive numbers of variants for their titles and it's one of the deadest dead universes there is. Collectors need a sense of pride in what they own. Who takes pride in owning 20 covers and having only 4 different stories? I don't. If you have variants that are too rare, you limit the number of collectors who can ever take pride in owning a full set.

An analogy (because my perspective is anal):

Walking into a field and finding a hidden Easter egg with a prize makes the chase fun. Filling a field with Easter eggs and having them in plain view with a jacked up cost provides completely the opposite effect.

DG

Or, you could forget about the variants and just buy the regular issues and enjoy the great stories Valiant is putting out. :gossip: