• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legend vs. Skill?

23 posts in this topic

I disagree with the idea that today's comic artists don't benefit from modern technology. At the very least I would expect that access to imagery on the internet - as well as digital photography - benefits today's artists greatly. Obviously every artist has their own working style, but the availability of reference material now-a-days is not only more abundant than in years past, it's literally available at your fingertips. Again, I'm sure there are plenty of artists who still do things "old school" (Alex Ross), but I wouldn't be surprised to discover that some of today's more realistic and detail oriented artists have benefited greatly from modern technology.

I would also keep very much in mind that today's artists are drawing for an average age (probably) of 20-30 year olds. Romita and Ditko were drawing for 8-15 year olds! That's a world of difference.

except that a portion of today's 20-30 year olds are no more intelligent to my mind than 8-15 year olds of the 1960s when I was in that age group. Comic fans in particular