• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lame Spider-Man covers

24 posts in this topic

......i thought that some of the mcfarlane covers were pretty lame........................

.............#298 for one.............and that tacky action #1 rip off (can't remember the number 3 hundred something)

....at least the #296 cover is pretty funny.............. laugh.gif

...but yeah its lame................... grin.gif

Tacky ASM 306 Action 1 "tribute" cvr orig art still sold for a record breaking $15,600 at J Parrino 02June auction. But that was during the massive ASM movie record breaking ticket sales hype phase. Unbelievable that ASM could topple SW: Episode 2 or 1 ticket sales.

.........worse spidey ditko cover for me was #10, somehow spidey just doesn't look right, almost like a cardboard cutout.................

.....and what were those colorist's thinking with that green background......... shocked.gif

.........of course diko's covers, even the bad ones, are way above most of the spidey run............. cool.gif

Yes, I agree about the Ditko #10 cover being sub-par for him. Also, #32 and #36 never worked that well. Best Ditko cover is #6 in my book. I just love the colors and the angle and everything...a 9.4 copy of that one is my "holy grail" book....now I just need to save LOTS of pennies.

McFarlane was a pretty good cover artist overall...not as good as someone like early John Byrne or a Jim Lee, but still good. I think Arthur Adams is probably the best artist who consistently does bad covers. He's said in interviews that he just doesn't understand how to do covers, so at least he know it is a weakness..

It's not the worst cover, but one of the worst parts of a cover...

Volume 2 issue #9 or #10. Don't have a copy in front of me...

Byrne draws a pretty decent Spidey swinging sideways across the page (a theme we've seen hundreds of times). But apparently he didn't really plan on where Spidey's head would be and the fact that you wouldn't be able to see his face. So rather than mount the head on a neck, on the line continuing from the center of the chest, Byrne mounts Spidey's head coming directly out of his shoulder, with no neck, just a round oval. If you cover the head with your thumb, it's so obvious it's scary. The entire rest of Spidey is well proportioned, and anatomically correct... except for the mutant head coming out of his shoulder...

Someone with a copy should post a scan here, it's really scary to look at...

No, that's not it.... must be #10...

Spidey is sideways flying feetfirst to the right of the page in Byrne's masterpiece... I am sure someone on the board with a full run will track it down... It's really silly...

That's it all right... If you cover Spidey's head with your thumb it's really obvious...

There used to be a video game that showed shots of soccer games with the ball edited out where you were supposed to guess the location of the ball based on the players' body positions... If you cover Spidey's head in this cover, turn it so he's upright, then guess where the head is, I bet even a three-year-old knows it doesn't go under your thumb...

Bumped because I just love staring at that cover...

And today is "International Go Find a Long-Dead Thread And Bump It Day"

So I really had no choice...