• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Record Reprints

26 posts in this topic

A few years back someone on Ebay was selling lots of 10 (or 20?) of the Fantastic Four #1 in VF/NM condition. They listed them for quite awhile, probably totally way over 100 copies. Possible these books have been in a warehouse find somewhere along the way.

This is what I can't figure out. KDK had hundreds of tese in the mid-80s,as did Hero's World and someone else in Jersey(J+S maybe?),yet they were all sans record. Warehouse finds should have included the records. NM copies with the record sell for crazy prices,a few listed this week on ebay were going for close to a grand apiece.

Is it possible someone ran off bootlegs of these at some point and no one has ever picked up on them? Or could there have been copys opened for some reason and the records distributed without the comics.?

There just seem to be way too many HG copys without the record floating around.

Or could there have been copys opened for some reason and the records distributed without the comics.?

There just seem to be way too many HG copys without the record floating around.

I would think that that the comics & records were created seperately & that more comics were printed than needed. I believe back in the 60's that minimum print runs were much higher than they are today. Probably had extra cases of the comics remaining in the warehouse after filling the record order. Can't imagine a bootleg of the reprint when you could bootleg the original just as easily.

No,I can't see them printing half of a product.Why would they?

You could bootleg the original as easily as the reprint,but could you get away with it as easily? If there were thousands of NM FF 1s and Avengers 1s floating around,someone would have looked into it long ago. Thousands of these reprints flood the markets in the early 80s and no one gives them a second thought.

Its like the cases of Wally Woods Cannon that popped up,everyone thought they were leftover warehouse copys until a few sealed cases of them in Ronalds boxes showed up. Ronalds wasn't even in business when this book was first printed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No,I can't see them printing half of a product.Why would they?

Not sure the point your making here. I would assume someone came to Marvel with the Record/Comic idea. Told them what they wanted to do, blah, blah, blah, we'd like to print 100,000 of them. Marvel says sure we'll have the books printed & shipped direct to your record maker, they can be inserted during the production of the records. Marvel talks to the printer, printer says blah, blah, blah, 100,000 no problem, you wan't a 5% overrun in case of damage?. Marvel figures, sure, we don't want to be caught short, print the extra 5%. Ships books to Golden Records, Golden Records ends up with with only 1000 damaged & has 4,000 extra comics sitting in a warehouse after the project is completed & damage is factored in.

Sounds much more reasonable than someone trying to counterfeit full color comics back in the late 1970's. Hell, they couldn't even get a b&w counterfeit right back then, full color would have been a heck of an accomplishment.

You have some good points,except that the general reason given for these books appearing in such good shape is that they had the record insert which acted as a backing board,preserving their condition. Your theory has them sitting without the record/backing board so how would you explain the extraordinary preservation these lots have?

They didn't really flood the market until the mid to late eighties,not the seventies. confused-smiley-013.gif