• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VGA graded video game sells for $15,000

93 posts in this topic

Think back to 1999. A lot of people were upset with the idea of comic grading. Can't read the book once slabbed. Now it's accepted.

No different here. Games were 'meant to be played'. Comics meant to be read. A certain faction in the hobby just wants to play games and doesn't even like the collector aspect let alone grading. They are also usually the guys that are butthurt when the price of a loose cartridge goes up five bucks. They certainly aren't, generally speaking, the guys spending.

OF COURSE there are some copies out there, it would be naive to think there aren't. There's also a ton of demand. Think about the three jillion SA marvels out there.

Think back to 1999. A lot of people were upset with the idea of comic grading. Can't read the book once slabbed. Now it's accepted.

No different here. Games were 'meant to be played'. Comics meant to be read.

There is a quite significant difference--you can read any CGC comic without wrecking the grade and value, but you can't bust the original plastic on a video game and play it without wrecking value. The whole idea of shrink-wrapped games being worth so much is a turn-off to me getting into collecting video games for this exact reason.

There is a quite significant difference--you can read any CGC comic without wrecking the grade and value, but you can't bust the original plastic on a video game and play it without wrecking value. The whole idea of shrink-wrapped games being worth so much is a turn-off to me getting into collecting video games for this exact reason.

Yeah but how many people buy high grade CGC books to crack open and read? Not many. Most will read it online or in a reprint or TPB and keep the high grade original copy safe in the slab. Same would apply to games no? Keep the pristine copy safe and download the game to play.

Agree with you though on the shrinkwrap. No way to tell if there is even anything inside there.

Okay, so don't collect. Nobody's asking you to, and if it doesn't do it for you then that's just fine. But to think that collecting sealed games is any different than collecting HG slabbed early FF's that you are never going to bust open and read is being not quite honest with yourself ;)

You may have different opinions on price, rarity, desirability, whatever, but fundamentally, there is a grade and/or price point at which anything you might collect becomes unusable for its intended purpose, rendering it fundamentally useless.

Bronty -- how can collectors be sure the shrinkwrap on their games is legit? Especially on early/mid 80s games?

For the Mickey Mouse G&W, it looked like the price tag was on the outside of the box, which seemed reassuring. (Then again, I suppose some crook could be faking price tags as well...)

It reminds me of records. Sealed records scare off some collectors because there's just no good way of knowing if the shrinkwrap is original or not.

Bronty -- how can collectors be sure the shrinkwrap on their games is legit? Especially on early/mid 80s games?

80s stuff is actually easier than new gen stuff. the boxes were cardboard and that's really what you look to. There are telltale signs of opening the box (crease lines at the back flap and inner flaps). I don't even bother looking at the wrap much (although yes there are ways to tell if that looks good as well). Bottom line there's really no authenticity concerns if you know what to look for. Newer stuff I am less comfortable with.

COI -- do other MOC Joe collectors also view their figures as ticking time bombs? Is there some kind of mass denial going on?

I don't know or talk to many MOC Joe collectors, but I know that it's one of the main reasons many loose collectors won't touch MOC figures.

I had a nice loose collection for a while, and I would definitely say they're worth collecting. Go after only the mintest of figures and it can actually be a fun (and very real) challenge, and it's way cheaper than MOC. The O-ring is an easy fix on a loose figure, and proper care can protect against other forms of degradation (rust on screws, plastic oxidation, etc...).

And when I say mint, I mean perfect paint, tight joints, perfect screws, perfect accessories, etc... Believe it or not, that's actually tough.

As far as I know, $15,000 simply means that you no longer have to blow air along connectors of the cartridge in order to get it to work.

As far as I know, $15,000 simply means that you no longer have to blow air along connectors of the cartridge in order to get it to work.

funny :) although this particular piece is a standalone handheld system - no cartridge, and no connectors. Think of it as a DS that plays one game only.

I still have some of these Game & Watch games. And there is one I cannot find any infos about, but it seems that it's not a Game & Watch. It's called "Goal Keeper" and only has "Game - Clock" written on it. It looks like the "Game & Watch" games and has a blue border and backside. Any infos what that is and how rare it is would be very appreciated.

A graded gold championship cartridge (high grade), would sell for over $20,000. Even a loose,scratched up one would sell for thousands.

Completely incorrect. A VGA graded 85 failed to sell after being listed twice on eBay at $25000. This was a 'slap' in the face to the potential speculation of 'slabbed' games.

Please research this. This has even been discussed on Digital Press and Nintendo Age in depth.

You are welcome to do an Internet search and the truth will present itself.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Apart from offending your desire to be always be right and turn every thread into a thread about mint and his collecting philosophies, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what Dungeon said.

a) golds *are* worth 20k (D never said 25 - and anyways I believe that BIN, at least initially was 27 or 28) as he states

b) scratched ones do sell for 'thousands'

As a side note, the ignore function on this site sucks azz. every time somebody quotes you I have to listen to the world according to mint.

Btw, the show you went to? CCAG I take it? I have vendor friends at that show who tell me about someone completely self-absorbed and involved in antiques 'introducing' themselves five years in a row, with the same 10 minute spiehl each year, including *more than once in the same day* some years, without a clue they'd spoken before. lol

----

As a double side note, golds suck.

I can tell you with certainty that most in the hobby would agree. It is very hard to convince the mass of collectors that buying a mint, boxed and complete game that you can play, is not the best way to collect, when you can buy a graded factory sealed game. Most collectors are NOT buying VGA graded games, in fact, a select few are causing a market frenzy and creating a dealer controlled market. Those with the most to lose will defend this ideology to the death.

I consign games through third parties. I do this because any dealer worth his salt knows that if he continues to sell mass quantities of a graded item, or attempts to get them graded all at once, it could cause a drop in prices. Video game grading is still in it's infancy, prices will fall. What happens when people my age no longer chase after these items?

A Legend if Zelda can be downloaded on the Wii for $5, a cartridge only version for the NES sells for $10, a complete mint in the box version can be had for less than $75 to $100. What incentive does a future collector have to pay $1000+ for a sealed copy when the game will be released again and again? Also remember one fact, isn't it 'stupid' to buy a sealed video game for a system you may not have to play it on?Just some questions. I am merely a dealer AND a collector. I do not have a crystal ball, but I know that the way you make money is to 'invest' in what you know. I bought my factory sealed games wholesale. Do you honestly think I would pay thousands of dollars for these items?

Let me ask the forum something. Why is it that when an item is $5 no one wants it...but when it is $5000, everyone wants it? This happened with those Mario games I bought sealed. Back in 1998 no one wanted them, but now they are collector's items? At $5000, how much higher do you think the price will go as more and more enter the market? Most people don't even know about VGA yet!

Respectfully,

'mint'

Apart from offending your desire to be always be right and turn every thread into a thread about mint and his collecting philosophies, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what Dungeon said.

a) golds *are* worth 20k (D never said 25 - and anyways I believe that BIN, at least initially was 27 or 28) as he states

As a side note, the ignore function on this site sucks azz. every time somebody quotes you I have to listen to the world according to mint.

Btw, the show you went to? CCAG I take it? I have vendor friends at that show who tell me about someone completely self-absorbed and involved in antiques 'introducing' themselves five years in a row, with the same 10 minute spiehl each year, including *more than once in the same day* some years, without a clue they'd spoken before. lol

----

Incorrect on all accounts.

By the way the 'gold' was disassembled and is clearly visible on the Internet, you are welcome to check. Like I said, defend to the death...

By the way, this show was in PA. I am sorry, but I only went once, so I don't understand your five years in a row comment. Next time, ask your friends for a company name.

Last comment to you, Bronty. Remember, ignore. I can respond without foul language as well.

----

Incorrect on all accounts.

By the way the 'gold' was disassembled and is clearly visible on the Internet, you are welcome to check. Like I said, defend to the death...

By the way, this show was in PA. I am sorry, but I only went once, so I don't understand your five years in a row comment. Next time, ask your friends for a company name.

Last comment to you, Bronty. Remember, ignore. I can respond without foul language as well.

Really, it was disassembled? Gasp! Do you have any more news from a month or two ago? :banana: Also, can you tell me more about this internet, because you are clearly the only one connected to it? It would be so neat to follow these stories first hand as they happen!

At least that wasn't you at CCAG.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/vga-graded-1990-nintendo-world-championships-gold-cartridge-appears-on-ebay.html

Here is a link. Didn't sell. Note how it was taken apart and placed in the case; after grading. Personally, I have been thinking of getting one of mine graded, but I would want it intact. I don't know as to whether or not the submitter asked for this or not, as some suggest. Either way, it is interesting to see in this picture.

Link is courtesy of Retro Collect.

A graded gold championship cartridge (high grade), would sell for over $20,000. Even a loose,scratched up one would sell for thousands.

Completely incorrect. A VGA graded 85 failed to sell after being listed twice on eBay at $25000. This was a 'slap' in the face to the potential speculation of 'slabbed' games.

Please research this. This has even been discussed on Digital Press and Nintendo Age in depth.

You are welcome to do an Internet search and the truth will present itself.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Let me put it to you this way, chief... If I had 20 large to spend on hobby paraphernalia, and a mint gold cart was available for sale. I'd take it at that price. AND, I wouldn't take it apart with a screwdriver.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/vga-graded-1990-nintendo-world-championships-gold-cartridge-appears-on-ebay.html

Here is a link. Didn't sell. Note how it was taken apart and placed in the case; after grading. Personally, I have been thinking of getting one of mine graded, but I would want it intact. I don't know as to whether or not the submitter asked for this or not, as some suggest. Either way, it is interesting to see in this picture.

Dude you really are the only one with the internet. I love how you 'explain' things that are common knowledge.

For YOUR info, I know the seller a bit and he specifically requested it be displayed that way. You could certainly have it slabbed as it is without it being taken apart.

Dude you really are the only one with the internet. I love how you 'explain' things that are common knowledge.

For YOUR info, I know the seller a bit and he specifically requested it be displayed that way. You could certainly have it slabbed as it is without it being taken apart.

:applause: