• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alex Schomburg Original Art WWII cover from 1943 SOLD

31 posts in this topic

This summer 3 Alex Schomburg pieces sold through Heritage in the $12,000 to $15,000 range, so I thought I'd list this one for sale on the boards. The 3 Heritage pieces were 1950's sci-fi while this one is a more desirable World War II cover from 1943.

Perhaps the greatest of the WWII-era comic book cover artists, Alex Schomburg's talents extended far beyond pencil and india ink. He was also a skilled painter and one of the pioneers in the use of the airbrush. Schomburg produced numerous cover images for publications outside of the comic book industry. He had a longstanding relationship with Radio Craft magazine (published by Science Fiction progenitor Hugo Gernsback) and during WWII, produced several stunning covers for that magazine detailing new war technologies. Soldiers manning gun directors blast away at Nazi war planes in this 1943 painting. Excellent detailing on both the figures and machinery. Executed on heavy illustration board, the image area measures approximately 16" x 22". Signed by Schomburg at the lower center. With all of Schomburg's original Timely comic covers selling for well over $100,000, this cover is quite a bargain.

Price: $12,000

Serious offers considered.

zz-1.jpg

For comparison, Heritage just sold this 1950's Alex Schomburg piece for $12,500

http://fineart.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=5087&lotNo=78212&type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

...and this one for $15,000.00

http://fineart.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=5087&lotNo=78213&type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

This week 3 Alex Schomburg pieces sold through Heritage in the $12,000 to $15,000 range, so I thought I'd list this one for sale on the boards. The 3 Heritage pieces were sci-fi while this one is a more desirable World War II cover.

Perhaps the greatest of the WWII-era comic book cover artists, Alex Schomburg's talents extended far beyond pencil and india ink. He was also a skilled painter and one of the pioneers in the use of the airbrush. Schomburg produced numerous cover images for publications outside of the comic book industry. He had a longstanding relationship with Radio Craft magazine (published by Science Fiction progenitor Hugo Gernsback) and during WWII, produced several stunning covers for that magazine detailing new war technologies. Soldiers manning gun directors blast away at Nazi war planes in this 1943 painting. Excellent detailing on both the figures and machinery. Executed on heavy illustration board, the image area measures approximately 16" x 22". Signed by Schomburg at the lower center. With all of Schomburg's original Timely comic covers selling for well over $100,000, this cover is quite a bargain.

zz-1.jpg

Awesome! If I only had the money. :sorry:

GLWTS!

This week 3 Alex Schomburg pieces sold through Heritage in the $12,000 to $15,000 range, so I thought I'd list this one for sale on the boards. The 3 Heritage pieces were sci-fi while this one is a more desirable World War II cover.

zz-1.jpg

Awesome! If I only had the money. :sorry:

GLWTS!

Thanks! BTW, I forgot to mention that trades are considered for quality GA or key Silver Age books. PM me with any offers.

zz-1.jpg

(worship) Stunning cover! GLWTS.

(thumbs u

I had always wondered about just how usefull spotlights were with antiaircraft guns. It seemed to me that by the time you could get a light on a plane it would be impossible to hold it there so that the antiaircraft batteries could shoot the plane down. Searchlights in conjunction with the directors though. (thumbs u

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_(military)

Hi West,

Is there any reason the color of the sky is so far off from the published version? Was that changed in publication, or? Just curious about these things.

ahh, I can see he had a white city scape in the art as well, which is grey in the published version. Must have been editorial changes?

the whites on the guages in the instrument panels are a far brighter white in the published version also. Is it possible a second version of this painting exists or was produced? Hope you don't mind the questions, just curious. Wonderful piece and GLWS

My guess is editorial art changes.

On the original, you can see Schomburg originally signed the piece on the right side above the word "ELECTRONIC". That must have been another editorial art change, the editor did not want his signature that close to the lettering, so he had to sign the piece a second time near the bottom.

3 Alex Schomburg pieces sold through Heritage in the $12,000 to $15,000 range, so I thought I'd list this one for sale on the boards. The 3 Heritage pieces were sci-fi while this one is a more desirable World War II cover.

Serious offers considered.

For comparison, Heritage just sold this 1950's Alex Schomburg piece for $12,500

http://fineart.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=5087&lotNo=78212&type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

...and this one for $15,000.00

http://fineart.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=5087&lotNo=78213&type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

I think my 1940's cover is a bargain by comparison!