• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Bell has too much freakin' money!!

86 posts in this topic

Marvel Super-Heroes #12 CGC 9.8

Only a mere 15x NM guide. This guy has spent at least 100-200K on high grade books in the last 6 months. 893whatthe.gif

Dear Matt,

What is your point or purpose to slander my name like that? I do not think that comment was necessary here...At least not as the SUBJECT my friend. I do hope you will refrain from personal attacks in character. Thank You.

Sincerely,

Chris Bell (AST) President

Affordable 2nd Thoughts Inc.

EBay Power Seller/Buyer : ast1155td

EBay Store : http://stores.ebay.com/AFFORDABLE-SECOND-THOUGHTS

I just changed the title (didn't mean to slander you necessarily). I am just amazed and floored at the insane money you've spent in the last 4 months! The books you are winning are nice, but they're certainly not rare (in most cases), and most will probably decrease in value 20-50% in the next few years as more and more copies arrive on the scene.

Would you mind sharing with us your buying strategy, as I'm sure we'd all be fascinated to hear why you're paying such crazy money for these comics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Would you mind sharing with us your buying strategy, as I'm sure we'd all be fascinated to hear why you're paying such crazy money for these comics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Looks like he buys what he wants at the minimum bid necessary to beat the underbidder. I try and do the same thing myself. thumbsup2.gif

Looks like he buys what he wants at the minimum bid necessary to beat the underbidder. I try and do the same thing myself. thumbsup2.gif

No, that's just how ebay shows the high bidder. If you bid a million bucks on a comic and the underbidder bids $200, your high bid will show up as $205, even though it was really a million bucks.

What I want to know is how much Chris' high bid was on that Cerebus #1 he just won? Personally, I couldn't care less how much he pays for books because it's his money. But my morbid curiosity is making me wonder how high someone would have had to go to win that Cerebus. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

If you've got deep pockets, then maybe the '$1m bid' is a good theory for ALL the books you want.

You just better hope there isnt a $2m bidder out there 893whatthe.gif

I think he's proven that no legitimate bidder will go as high as he does when it comes to the stuff he bids on. The only risk for him is that shills and/or "punishment" bidders will start bidding the auctions he's bidding on to even greater heights (as has happened to spider9698 and danten311, among others in the past, once people realized they would pay just about any price for certain books).

I'd also like to know out of curiosity what his buying strategy is. I am almost certain that some of these prices paid will mark peaks that will not be exceeded within his lifetime, so I hope investment is not the angle. All you have to do is overlay the early days of the CGC comic market with the CGC magazine market to see the direction the latter will take in the next year or two (I don't see how common issues of Vampirella in 9.4, for example, are going to keep selling for multiple hundreds of dollars). If the intent is not to resell, though, it sure is one amazing collection that is being put together.

My strategy would be intimidation. Just bid so freaking high on everything that it just scares all the other bidders away. Leave feedback that puts down the other bidders. Stuff like:

Praise: Yeeeeah beyoootch!! You didn't stand a CHANCE spider-man_collector!!! You should have stuck with the 9.6's!!!

Praise: Oh you like THAT don't you NealAdamsFan123?!?!?! Raise the roof in this mother!!!

Praise: Three words for Brave_and_BoldGuy: YOU GOT SERVED. Quick shipping, highly recommended seller. Lame underbidders.

Eventually, all the other bidders would be so disheartened that they never bid again. After I use this strategy for comics, I would go over and try it on eBay Motors.

thumbsup2.gif

If you've got deep pockets, then maybe the '$1m bid' is a good theory for ALL the books you want.

You just better hope there isnt a $2m bidder out there 893whatthe.gif

If you bid $1 million for a $100 book, it's not the $2 million bidder you have to worry about, it's the $999,999 bidder! 27_laughing.gif As evidenced by Chris' current travails with the Cerebus 1.

My strategy would be intimidation. Just bid so freaking high on everything that it just scares all the other bidders away. Leave feedback that puts down the other bidders. Stuff like:

Praise: Yeeeeah beyoootch!! You didn't stand a CHANCE spider-man_collector!!! You should have stuck with the 9.6's!!!

Praise: Oh you like THAT don't you NealAdamsFan123?!?!?! Raise the roof in this mother!!!

Praise: Three words for Brave_and_BoldGuy: YOU GOT SERVED. Quick shipping, highly recommended seller. Lame underbidders.

Eventually, all the other bidders would be so disheartened that they never bid again. After I use this strategy for comics, I would go over and try it on eBay Motors.

thumbsup2.gif

sign-funnypost.gif Think I'll try it next time I beat out a regular competitor.

thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Indeed. All are damn fine books, and if you have the money and love the hobby, why not????

It's not about investing for everyone confused-smiley-013.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif to Chris thumbsup2.gif

Hey, the guy can bid $10,000 on Venom #1 if he wants. Why pay more than you have to though? It's not as if these books will never be offered again. confused-smiley-013.gif