• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Bell has too much freakin' money!!

86 posts in this topic

If this collector has the means to buy these comics, I'm not sure who would really care. What is scarier to me than a guy that buys all these comics is a "disinterested" party that would actually go through the trouble to catologue all his purchases.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm more disturbing by the "stalking" of the guy's purchases than the actual purchases he made. It's his money, what do I care how much he spent over the last 6 months? And why would someone go to the trouble to track down every purchase he made AND add up the amounts? That's just...weird.

I don't think everyone else is as obsessed, but the original poster...whew.

It's not that difficult to get a listing of someone's Ebay history. Takes less than a minute to copy and paste the detail. So there is no stalking going on. That shouldn't even have been brought up.

Yeah, more power to the guy. Jeez, I've got better things to do with my life than worry about a guy with more money than me buying comics.

These boards are littered with pretty book type threads, but when someone with the buying power to outbid us all comes along, he's treated as a insufficiently_thoughtful_person for buying said pretty books. confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree. Most of the stuff he bought would not be my first choice but hey if I had his kind of budget I would be buying up like a madman. If you have the money and you love comics why wouldn't you buy them?

Yeah, more power to the guy. Jeez, I've got better things to do with my life than worry about a guy with more money than me buying comics.

These boards are littered with pretty book type threads, but when someone with the buying power to outbid us all comes along, he's treated as a insufficiently_thoughtful_person for buying said pretty books. confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree. Most of the stuff he bought would not be my first choice but hey if I had his kind of budget I would be buying up like a madman. If you have the money and you love comics why wouldn't you buy them?

Exactly. I don't know if it's a case of "What I collect is cool, what you collect sucks!" or if it's a case of "I would never spend that kind of money on that book, therefore you shouldn't either!", but some people apparently feel the need to publically pass judgement on other's financial decisions, for whatever reason...dunno. 893frustrated.gif

Deathlok-

On this one you are not going to get awaty that easy. You can get buyer history for about 60 days. After that items drop off. To get six months buying history on a guy you have to be pretty dilligent. That is not a one minute job- no way.

Secondly, on reflection, rather than belittling the gut for spending his own money, we ought to be grateful. This type of ourchasing probably does a good job overall of cementing higher prices across the board for books we all own...you know, the "trickle down" theory... 893applaud-thumb.gif

PS: Just to make sure i Wasn't setting myself up, I checked the history of said buyer. You get ALL THE WAY BACK to MAY 25th...So for somebody to have six months record would be quite stalking venture indeed.

If this collector has the means to buy these comics, I'm not sure who would really care. What is scarier to me than a guy that buys all these comics is a "disinterested" party that would actually go through the trouble to catologue all his purchases.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm more disturbing by the "stalking" of the guy's purchases than the actual purchases he made. It's his money, what do I care how much he spent over the last 6 months? And why would someone go to the trouble to track down every purchase he made AND add up the amounts? That's just...weird.

It's not that difficult to get a listing of someone's Ebay history. Takes less than a minute to copy and paste the detail. So there is no stalking going on. That shouldn't even have been brought up.

Deathlok-

On this one you are not going to get awaty that easy. You can get buyer history for about 60 days. After that items drop off. To get six months buying history on a guy you have to be pretty dilligent. That is not a one minute job- no way.

Secondly, on reflection, rather than belittling the gut for spending his own money, we ought to be grateful. This type of ourchasing probably does a good job overall of cementing higher prices across the board for books we all own...you know, the "trickle down" theory... 893applaud-thumb.gif

PS: Just to make sure i Wasn't setting myself up, I checked the history of said buyer. You get ALL THE WAY BACK to MAY 25th...So for somebody to have six months record would be quite stalking venture indeed.

I reformatted your post, because I hate when people repsond at the top of the quote.

Anyway, I just did a quick search of the buyer. Took very little time. The above list does not have dates, so I have no idea the time frame you suggest. My search however revealed 160 items bought the seller.

ast1155td

Does this mean I mean stalking him because I can do a quick search and give the results, I think not.

Exactly. I don't know if it's a case of "What I collect is cool, what you collect sucks!" or if it's a case of "I would never spend that kind of money on that book, therefore you shouldn't either!", but some people apparently feel the need to publically pass judgement on other's financial decisions, for whatever reason...dunno. 893frustrated.gif

Why get all uptight about it? Nobody is saying that what he buys sucks or that he shouldn't spend his money how he wants to (unless he is investing, in which case I think it's perfectly fair to question the merits of his investing strategy). I think all anyone wants to know is what makes him tick. You have to admit that it's highly unusual to see someone spending 6-figures in a relatively short time on books of this variety (i.e., not buying out entire collections and not buying one or a few very high-priced books). Can you blame people for being curious? Frankly, I'm more appalled at the people branding Deathlok or whoever as a "stalker" or trying to label anyone who wants to know what's going on as being somehow judgmental, jealous or otherwise a poor human being.

I agree, and if this guy is acting out Brewster's Millions, or spending a ton of discretionary income adding to his personal collection, then more power to him.

Of course, if he's on some bizarro world "comic investment drive", then good luck Bubba!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

$152,886.93 for YTD through May, although $107,655.55 was for ASM #1 in 9.6 and another $9K for ASM #129. Shows good taste in being a Spidey fan, so you gotta give him that.

Just wanted to throw out this information, just in case anybody missed it on the other thread. Chris posted that the deal for the ASM #1 fell through, so he isn't spending quite as much as you think he is.

$152,886.93 - $107,655.55 = $45, 231.38

Got some great looking books on that list there, Chris. thumbsup2.gif

Who cares? Go buy some of my books.

Ok, but where're the Hulk variants? confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I do have a Hulk 213 in about 4.5-5.0, I can't remember if it is slabbed or not. Maybe I'll throw it on eBay and determine the true market value!

Who cares? Go buy some of my books.

Ok, but where're the Hulk variants? confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I do have a Hulk 213 in about 4.5-5.0, I can't remember if it is slabbed or not. Maybe I'll throw it on eBay and determine the true market value!

Please do! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think that someone sumed this thread up the other day in the "price variant club" thread. It was something like "If you bid more than me you over paid." Samething as the whole "What I collect is cool. What you collect is stupid." Who cares...Personally I would not be dropping that sort of coin on comics even if I did have that sorta coin. Of course I collect Valiants...so what do I know... confused-smiley-013.gif

So we can't talk about the prices of items anymore, and if someone does, they're "jealous"?? 27_laughing.gif

Even if I had a billion dollars, I'd probably exercise some fiscal restraint, but maybe not. Like I've said before, Chris can spend as much as he'd like and more power to him for being able to, but why not use a little patience and pay prices that are a bit more reasonable for what he's buying? confused-smiley-013.gif

I just changed the title (didn't mean to slander you necessarily). I am just amazed and floored at the insane money you've spent in the last 4 months! The books you are winning are nice, but they're certainly not rare (in most cases), and most will probably decrease in value 20-50% in the next few years as more and more copies arrive on the scene.

Would you mind sharing with us your buying strategy, as I'm sure we'd all be fascinated to hear why you're paying such crazy money for these comics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I hardly catogarize this type of rhetoric as friendly discussion of high prices being paid. Frankly I hardly care, but I get tired of board memebers flaming other folks with nobody stepping to their side.