• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANS OF FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND

126 posts in this topic

My memories of the FM lore of yesteryear are slightly different:  I specifically remember talking to Steve Dolnick over 15 years ago about the "Lucky #7" stamp, and he said all the stamps were in red, and all were placed on the same page inside Issue #7; at the time it seemed like he knew what the look of the stamp itself was, too.  Fast forward about 10 years, and why CGC suddenly started grading FM #4's with the Ghoul's Eye sticker:  I was told that that CGC originally refused to grade them not because of being unable to determine if the stickers were legitimate, but whether or not the stickers would fall off to any degree from the front covers, which seems like a silly reason, since the stickers had been in place on the issues for over a half century and hadn't fallen off yet.  I am surprised it has taken 64 years for a "Lucky #7" issue to appear, despite the reward for finding an issue with it way back in 1960.

On 6/26/2024 at 10:25 AM, Jayman said:

I mean, according to the video, he went through the trouble to get a ruler out and measure it. So I can’t believe he didn’t snap a pic with his phone or camera. :sumo:

Jayman - right on!  I thought the exact same thing while watching the video -  precise, exact measurements, 1/8 of inch, but no pic is snapped?  Leads to more questions.  This book was holdered by CGC, and CGC could have reported the book with stamping on page 17, just like CGC reports when there is "writing on page 5".  But CGC chose to use the Lucky 7 nomencalture, giving it cedibility, with NO baseline, NO verification, etc.   Can we all now assume - that if we all pitch in and have a "7" stamp made, have our FMs #7s stamped, send them to CGC for holdering - that we can all get the CGC Lucky 7 remark too!  

On 6/26/2024 at 8:27 PM, Mark Sielski said:

Jayman - right on!  I thought the exact same thing while watching the video -  precise, exact measurements, 1/8 of inch, but no pic is snapped?  Leads to more questions.  This book was holdered by CGC, and CGC could have reported the book with stamping on page 17, just like CGC reports when there is "writing on page 5".  But CGC chose to use the Lucky 7 nomencalture, giving it cedibility, with NO baseline, NO verification, etc.   Can we all now assume - that if we all pitch in and have a "7" stamp made, have our FMs #7s stamped, send them to CGC for holdering - that we can all get the CGC Lucky 7 remark too!  

Goes back to what I said a couple posts earlier:

Unless revealing it would bring it up to scrutiny and debate if there are other existing and authentic examples.

I have no idea whether it’s authentic or not. I’m hoping it’s real but would have loved to see it documented with an actual photo.

On 6/26/2024 at 9:20 PM, Jayman said:

Goes back to what I said a couple posts earlier:

Unless revealing it would bring it up to scrutiny and debate if there are other existing and authentic examples.

I have no idea whether it’s authentic or not. I’m hoping it’s real but would have loved to see it documented with an actual photo.

Well sir, all the information I've unearthed does seem to confirm that CGC may have made the right call here. At least, I haven't found anything that indicates they're wrong...  :foryou:

On 6/26/2024 at 11:56 AM, mostmonsters said:

I was told that that CGC originally refused to grade them not because of being unable to determine if the stickers were legitimate, but whether or not the stickers would fall off to any degree from the front covers, which seems like a silly reason, since the stickers had been in place on the issues for over a half century and hadn't fallen off yet.

I'm afraid that's not quite how I remember it. IIRC, the concern was that some folks would try to duplicate the sticker and fool potential buyers (and CGC) into thinking they were seeing a more desirable version of FM #4. I don't recall anything being said about the stickers potentially falling off...  :foryou: