• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Microchamber Paper

28 posts in this topic

I saw a question asked in the ASK CGC board: "I was wondering if the micro chamber paper you insert is available to general public?"

The CGC response? "Unfortunately we do not provide this information. Thank you very much for your support."

To me this is insanity. How much more closed can they become?

Here is an interesting web site regarding microchamber paper.

Microchamber Paper

I really do NOT get CGC's stance on this. How dumb do they think we are. Just do a search on the internet for "microchamber paper". It will return several but apparantly these folk are the manufacturers. If I am wrong, CGC, then post a response here.

My thanks.

PS - Finally got back from my trip at 1AM today. Feeling ok. Hope all were well. Found an internet cafe in Sicily that charged $5 an hour for high speed - was fun to write a couple of posts here while in Sicily.

Yes , CGC probably keeps the it their Microchamber source as secret as their grading standards. Here is web sites that I have found :

http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk/

http://www.preservationequipment.com/

http://www.universityproducts.com/main2.html

The Bainbridge Artcare company has something to do with it as well, You can find a Bainbridge store at :

http://www.nielsen-bainbridge.com/retailers/index.html

Anybody have any ideas? And E.Gerber does not have it either.

Tom

I was actually going to buy this for my raw collection runs, but the decided it's probably not worth the hastle since they're not really in top grade anyways..but I might just pick some up just in case I ever find someone who actually grades raw comics tightly tongue.gif

Brian

The CGC response? "Unfortunately we do not provide this information. Thank you very much for your support."

I read this as "we can't (or choose not to b/c they are not paying us to advertise for them) endorse any specific microchamber company over another". If such a time came about that CGC was paid by the company or cut some deals on supply, then they can release that info. Tying CGc with any company is an instant endorsement and most comic preservation/grading-related businesses I know would kill for said endorsement.

But I guess we can just keep on with the regular conspiracy theory cause it makes for better reading! Welcome back Pov.... smile.gif

I guess another way to look at it too is...since you found the answer to it so fast on the internet...tomega could've done the same without bringing it up here? But it is a free forum so he can post anything he wants, and CGC can reply or decline to reply politely if they choose to as well.

I read this as "we can't (or choose not to b/c they are not paying us to advertise for them) endorse any specific microchamber company over another".

You know, Darth, that DOES make sense. Chalk it up to extreme jet lag! grin.gif

I would have to ask Steve Borock to be sure of any answer. But my take is who is advertising who? The biggest dealer in vintage High Grade Comics or the biggest name in third party comics grading? Maybe it's mutual...maybe metroplois did pay? Putting CGC links on the microchamber paper company site would not benefit CGC to the same extent as putting a CGC link on the Metropolis website.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

Giving a link to the microchamber company's web site would help both companies approximately equally. The microchamber company wouldn't get a ton of business from it; I'd be greatly surprised if more than 20 people a year bought the microchamber company's products due to such a link. CGC would only minorly benefit as well, by pleasing their customers who wanted their recommendation on how to buy that paper.

It's much more likely that CGC wanted to keep the paper as a trade secret and as an incentive to slab books under the assumption that if you're asking CGC where to get the paper and they don't tell you, then you're more likely to just get your books slabbed to get the paper. It's like McDonald's "secret sauce" or Colonel Sanders' "secret recipe" for chicken; if you tell people where to get the added value in their products, then they'll just make their own sandwiches or chicken that tastes like yours and not come to your restaurant as often.

It's very difficult to keep information out of the public domain now that the Internet is so pervasive.

It's much more likely that CGC wanted to keep the paper as a trade secret and as an incentive to slab books under the assumption that if you're asking CGC where to get the paper and they don't tell you, then you're more likely to just get your books slabbed to get the paper. It's like McDonald's "secret sauce"

I don't know about this one FF...I wouldn't see any real urgency to get this type of paper for all my books if they weren't slabbed, but that is just me. I know you are a hardcore comic preservationist in views, but I don't slab my books for the micro paper. Primarily it is to get that "9.8 NM/MT" designation on the label...but then again that is probably just me.

As for the McDonald's secret sauce, judging from the consistency, texture and the people that work there, we can safely (or unsafely) assume that it is a melange of bodily secretions that were never meant to enhance the flavor of any form of nourishment! grin.gif

"The CGC response? "Unfortunately we do not provide this information. Thank you very much for your support."

I read this as "we can't (or choose not to b/c they are not paying us to advertise for them) endorse any specific microchamber company over another".

If they can't endorse one company over another, why didn't they just say that in their reply rather than the 'we do not provide this information' ?

No, I think darth, that you are giving CGC too much benefit of doubt here. It is just another example of their rediculously closed and secretive business practices.

About the microchamber paper. I think it makes the graded comics covers look translusent. I sent in a book that I know didn't look translusent. You couldn't see the inside cover on the front. But after it was graded you could see the inside. Now I look at this defect differently. I wonder if its a real defect or not now. Its one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't situations.

Darth is giving them way too much credit, they do not want people just going out and buying the stuff. I bet if I asked them what type of tape they use to tape the bags on CGC'd comics it would not have been a problem (nor an endorsement.) In fact- I am going to reveal their secret tape - it is called Scotch. Take that CGC!

I guess another way to look at it too is...since you found the answer to it so fast on the internet...tomega could've done the same without bringing it up here?

Perhaps, Darth, I do not want to buy 25 pieces of 3 foot by 4 foot minimum paper when I was looking for something pre-packaged and sized for comics............hmmmm

It is a real phenomenon. Overstreet defined "transparent cover" in the glossary of his 1992 and 2002 Grading Guides. He really meant translucent cover--transparent would mean that it's like glass and you can see totally through it. Overstreet also noted that what he called transparency "is not always considered a defect."

I strongly feel it's a defect. It's ugly! See the scans I posted in the following thread for examples:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=gradeandresto&Number=89861&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post90081

Huh? Lookie at the uglie! Is this "The X-Men," or is it "!NEM !SYOB the X-Men"? Perhaps Kirby intended this cover to look like a blend of mutants and backwards-written information about how to bulk up your body?

XMen1_96.jpg