• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Microchamber Paper

28 posts in this topic

I bet if I asked them what type of tape they use to tape the bags on CGC'd comics it would not have been a problem (nor an endorsement.) In fact- I am going to reveal their secret tape - it is called Scotch. Take that CGC!

I believe the answer to your question would be "None, CGC does not tape up their encapsulated graded comics. The comics are held in place, sealed by an inner well. " I believe you may be thinking of their suggestion that when packing up books to send in for grading they suggest using Scotch Magic tape because if the tape comes in contact with the cover of your book, Magic tape will actually peel off (carefully!) without damaging the cover.

they do not want people just going out and buying the stuff.

I don't think I read their dissuasion of purchasing microchamber paper anywhere on their site?

Perhaps, Darth, I do not want to buy 25 pieces of 3 foot by 4 foot minimum paper

Maybe CGC buys the same large size and then mechanically trims it down to fit the size specification according to each individual comic? I don't think these can be prepackaged by the company then sent to CGc and have the paper sized the exact dimensions as each and every comic, Gold,Silve, Bronze or Modern Age or trimmed comics even... smile.gif

The company that makes it does state they make custom sizes, besides you can probably use the same size for silver and current - I do not think it goes all the way to the edges.

Maybe they do not use it at all - I've never actually opened one up grin.gif

Maybe they do not use it at all - I've never actually opened one up

Thanks for the info, but they are also in there. I've opened one up...unwillingly....and seen the microchamber paer...also sometimes they are loose and you'll see it peek out from the edge.

I suspect a more likely reason is that CGC is worried if they ever designated an "official" microchamber paper, the price they must pay would eventually go up. The condition-obsessives CGC caters to and the conspiracy theorists among us would revolt if they learned at some point CGC switched to a "cheaper" microchamber paper.

Just a thought...

Z.

Tell your seller to stop taping the darn bags in. If they have to tell them to invert the cominc label side down as sometimes taping across the top catches the thin edge label on the top of the slab...and rips it off leaving a real ugly patch of fuzzy label frown.gif