• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overheard in a comic shop

31 posts in this topic

Video games cost $60...

I've never had to pay anything close to $60 (sterling equivalent) for a game.   Arkham City was £35 or so at launch, picked up a brand new copy recently for £17, around $26.

Sometimes just a case of shopping around and a little patience.

Video games cost $60...

I've never had to pay anything close to $60 (sterling equivalent) for a game.   Arkham City was £35 or so at launch, picked up a brand new copy recently for £17, around $26.

Games, CD's and DVD's tend to be more expensive in the US, partly because of the tax loophole that was used. About the only things that are cheaper here.

Just had a look on Amazon US at prices on Arkham City and Uncharted 3, as examples.  Don't seem too different, $30-35.

As I was flipping through back issues, I heard a couple of customers talking to an employee of the comic shop. One of the customers was coming back to the hobby after several years away. The employee explained how the New 52 was a complete reboot. The customer went on tell his friend some of the basics of buying comics, what was available at the store, etc.

It was nice to know that new blood comes in and old blood comes back. I'm glad there are enough dealers with visible and accessible storefront operations to get this kind of traffic.

A nice post that didn't deserve the instant derailment. The Lemmings of Watson. :facepalm:

Chew your gum and stay quiet. :makepoint:

I'm glad Watson exists, otherwise we'd have to invent him.

I heard that, sensing a void that needed filling, Watson willed himself into existance.

Sounds like Intelligent Design to me.

As I was flipping through back issues, I heard a couple of customers talking to an employee of the comic shop. One of the customers was coming back to the hobby after several years away. The employee explained how the New 52 was a complete reboot. The customer went on tell his friend some of the basics of buying comics, what was available at the store, etc.

It was nice to know that new blood comes in and old blood comes back. I'm glad there are enough dealers with visible and accessible storefront operations to get this kind of traffic.

A nice post that didn't deserve the instant derailment. The Lemmings of Watson. :facepalm:

Chew your gum and stay quiet. :makepoint:

YOU try gumming gum. :sumo:

Driving on $3.99 worth of gas will still give him much more longer entertainment value than the average 10 minute read $3.99 comic book would,

-------------

I dunno what would be so entertaining about driving 20 or 25 minutes on a highway, which is about what that much gas will get you in a somewhat efficient car. 10-15 minutes in a gas guzzler. Being stuck in traffic for 30 minutes and using $3.99 of gas isn't so entertaining.

Not every comic is a 10 minute read, particularly if you sit back and enjoy it.

Not to mention, I pay $2.99-$3.99 for a comic once or twice a month. Everything else is via the dollar or less box, maybe half price box. When you factor in how much material is available at a hefty discount, comics are not such expensive entertainment, particularly if you are willing to accept a little ding on your discounted book and maybe can't locate part 3 of the six part mini. You can use your imagination I suppose.

(Of course, if every one in comicdom had purchasing patterns like mine all the comic cos would go out of business.)

Driving on $3.99 worth of gas will still give him much more longer entertainment value than the average 10 minute read $3.99 comic book would,

-------------

I dunno what would be so entertaining about driving 20 or 25 minutes on a highway, which is about what that much gas will get you in a somewhat efficient car. 10-15 minutes in a gas guzzler. Being stuck in traffic for 30 minutes and using $3.99 of gas isn't so entertaining.

Not every comic is a 10 minute read, particularly if you sit back and enjoy it.

I love driving on the open highway. It`s one of the last few freedoms we got left in America,so I enjoy. I will take driving on a highway over reading a comic book anyday. The power and freedom of driving a car means more to me than sitting in a house reading a comic book for 10 minutes. ;)

Video games cost $60...

Games, CD's and DVD's tend to be more expensive in the US, partly because of the tax loophole that was used. About the only things that are cheaper here.

I like your pet fox.