• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIMs coming out of the wood work!

207 posts in this topic

The seller is a friend of mine, Ben from Zapp! Comics in Wayne NJ. Ben's a great guy and a friend of Joe from JC Comics who recently auctioned off the Sgt. Rock's Prize Battle Tales #1 (CGC 9.4) which fetched over $2100 (over 4x guide).

I doubt Gman will end up being the final high bidder as this book will probably go through the roof.

The seller is a friend of mine, Ben from Zapp! Comics in Wayne NJ. Ben's a great guy and a friend of Joe from JC Comics who recently auctioned off the Sgt. Rock's Prize Battle Tales #1 (CGC 9.4) which fetched over $2100 (over 4x guide).

I doubt Gman will end up being the final high bidder as this book will probably go through the roof.

i doubt i will be the high bidder too. tongue.gif

me too

Why not? ...just sell all your basses and max out your credit cards. devil.giffrown.gif

Or you could get a 6.0 - 7.0 for 5% of what this will close at. tonofbricks.gif

shadroch --

you should visit Joe's store sometime... in fact I'm going there this weekend. It's amazing how many collections they're turning up, plus getting leads from elsewhere, and turning up some amazing, amazing books.

I'm not going to claim they're all high grade -- they're not... but they do turn up some nice mid/low grade books that are all strictly graded...

I've picked up a Marvel Spotlight #5 VG for $20

Several 100 page DCs in Fine or better

A nice run of Avengers from 50-100 VF or better

Some random Kirby Thors in VF/NM or better

in the last two months or so....

They've had in their store recently (last six months):

FF #1 CGC 4.0, TOS 39 CGC 5.0, Double Action #2 CGC 3.0, Sgt. Rock Prize Battle Tales #1 CGC 9.4, host of Byrne X-Men CGC graded, Several Spideys in the 90s - 130s CGC graded 9.2/9.4, a run of raw Spideys including 14-25, an Avengers 24 CGC 9.4, Avengers CGC 88 9.4, Avengers 95 CGC 9.2 --

Plus wide, wide selection of back issues available, some of the strictest grading around, bought a new 2000 book collection recently and already had a wide selection of back issues.

For an LCS in Berkley Heights NJ, that's a pretty good haul. For you 50 cent and dollar guys... lots of those too... bins constantly refilled.

Do they have a website and/or catalogue? I ordered from Ben/Zap out of a CBG ad a few years back and remember being real happy with my purchase, but I don't believe they advertised in CBG after that. Anyhow, from your list above it looks like they have a pretty good selection for a LCS! thumbsup2.gif

JC has a website, but they don't have a catalog. On their website though, they don't sell comics.

Their ebay ID is webdeal.

You can call their store at 908-756-1212, ask for Jeff, he handles almost all of the back issue sales, and can really help if you want to put a want list together or something.

In addition to the Eide's JIMs (which I am sure will break records) currently on ebay, yet another ultra high grade gem has appeared...

Funny because not too long ago I mentioned that I could not find one JIM in 9.4 condition or higher for sale on no less than 8 major websites for at least the past 6 months. This is completely unheard of with all the other major SA Marvel titles.

In addition to the Eide's JIMs (which I am sure will break records) currently on ebay, yet another ultra high grade gem has appeared...

Funny because not too long ago I mentioned that I could not find one JIM in 9.4 condition or higher for sale on no less than 8 major websites for at least the past 6 months. This is completely unheard of with all the other major SA Marvel titles.

Yeah, funny how constant record prices drive up supply... It`s almost as if there`s some fundamental economic principle at work here.

Yeah, funny how constant record prices drive up supply... It`s almost as if there`s some fundamental economic principle at work here.

Obviously you missed my main point. There were virtually no 9.4's for sale for a long period of time. Are you telling me JIM's became vogue over night? Show me one SA Marvel title where that has been the case regardless of low or record prices being set.

Obviously you missed my main point. There were virtually no 9.4's for sale for a long period of time. Are you telling me JIM's became vogue over night? Show me one SA Marvel title where that has been the case regardless of low or record prices being set.

Fantastic Four from December 2003 to now, particularly in December 2003 to February 2004. Late 2002 and almost all of 2003 saw no high grade early issues hit the market, and then all of a sudden--starting with Bob Storms selling his collection--a veritable cornucopia of 9.2 and up never-before-offered-to-the-public issues came up for sale. Exceptional issues offered recently include:

• Three CGC 9.4 copies of #9
  • CGC 9.4 #10
  • Two CGC 9.4 copies of #11
  • Two CGC 9.2 copies of #13
  • Two CGC 9.4 copies and one CGC 9.6 copy of #14
  • CGC 9.4 #15
  • CGC 9.6 and two CGC 9.4 copies of #16
  • Two CGC 9.4 copies of #17
  • CGC 9.2 copy of #18

I could probably go on, but virtually every item on this list is unprecendented since I started collecting the title back in 2000. shocked.gif

Obviously you missed my main point. There were virtually no 9.4's for sale for a long period of time. Are you telling me JIM's became vogue over night?

There were no 9.4 sales publically.

And it wasn't that he didn't get your point, he was just poking fun at an obvious statement, and emphasizing the fact that it sometimes takes a few public sales to motivate someone to move a few books. Many people are "out of the loop", and not privy to information on private sales, so they may be unaware of the exact market value of their books. Then they see a few record sales, a light bulb goes off, and they decide that maybe they should cash in on the gravy train before it leaves the station.

This kind of phenomenom is present in any business, hence his "economic principle" comment.

Fantastic Four from December 2003 to now, particularly in December 2003 to February 2004. Late 2002 and almost all of 2003 saw no high grade early issues hit the market, and then all of a sudden--starting with Bob Storms selling his collection--a veritable cornucopia of 9.2 and up never-before-offered-to-the-public issues came up for sale. Exceptional issues offered recently include:

• Three CGC 9.4 copies of #9
  • CGC 9.4 #10
  • Two CGC 9.4 copies of #11
  • Two CGC 9.2 copies of #13
  • Two CGC 9.4 copies and one CGC 9.6 copy of #14
  • CGC 9.4 #15
  • CGC 9.6 and two CGC 9.4 copies of #16
  • Two CGC 9.4 copies of #17
  • CGC 9.2 copy of #18

I could probably go on, but virtually every item on this list is unprecendented since I started collecting the title back in 2000. shocked.gif

FF,

Don't want to argue the point but there have been two FF#4's, and numerous issues in the 20's at 9.4 that have been for sale in the last 8-10 months compared to really nothing in the way of the first 35 JIM's. confused-smiley-013.gif

Then they see a few record sales, a light bulb goes off, and they decide that maybe they should cash in on the gravy train before it leaves the station.

So true. I remember in the early 90s it seemed that certain GA books like Captain America 74 and Suspense Comics 3 were virtually impossible to find. Then people started paying multiples of guide and now, as scarce as they may be, Cap 74 shows up on Ebay with regularity, and even Suspense 3 makes at least one appearance a year. Even the ultra-scarce Catman 13, showed up twice in the same month a while back - although one was an incomplete copy. Sure these may be lower grade copies, but many harder to find GA books have fewer copies in the census in any grade then most SA Marvels have in 9.2 and above.

Don't want to argue the point but there have been two FF#4's, and numerous issues in the 20's at 9.4 that have been for sale in the last 8-10 months compared to really nothing in the way of the first 35 JIM's. confused-smiley-013.gif

There have been a few early 9.4 JIMs also, including an 85 and an 87. I'd say JIM and FF are roughly equal in terms of being difficult to find, but JIM changes hands less often because less people collect them. There might be a very, very slight difference between the two titles, but they're both very similar in availability as compared to the post-ASM 1 titles.