• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolkiller San Diego Con Report

22 posts in this topic

But...but...Pulpfest is practically in your backyard, right?

It used to be... when it was in Dayton I had about 50 PulpFest (then it was PulpCon) attendees come into my shop every year. They moved it to Columbus... but even though that's only an hour away, my attendance is down to about 5 (though a couple of them are big spenders). A lot of those guys are old (in some cases really really old) and they don't like driving even short distances.

Of course, the big and key stuff still sells regardless. It's the myriad little sales I used to make from the show being in town that I miss... and you can't take all of that to a convention (besides PulpFest limits you to 1-2 tables).

Oh, had a blast.

Had a rough start to the week with a few unpredictables but show was fun with moderate sales and lots of random goodness.

It's just such a tiring show that you barely have time to enjoy the city or the rest of the room.

Basically, you see the world in front of your booth, sneak a bite to eat when you can and hope to get a few hours of sleep in before you do it all over again.

I think the 9 PM close on Wednesday night needs to go. It's nearly 10 before you're even ordering food somewhere.

The other thing to take into account is that after doing a show like this it literally takes 2 weeks to recover. Answering emails, waiting for inventory and supplies to return, doing book keeping...oh yeah, and sleep...geting some would be nice, etc. It's not an easy show to do (sorry, no massive con reports) but for those who want to put in the effort the rewards can be massive.

Again, it's an experience that lasts a lifetime no matter which side of the table you are standing on.