• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got ripped off on Ebay. Need some advice.

7 posts in this topic

Hey all. This is my first post and i was posting to get some advice. I purchased 4 auctions of about 6 X-factor comics each from a very large dealer named

bcarreras. The first of the 4 auctions was http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2249043972&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

the picture is not close enough to see the quality of the comics but the auctions say VF/NM. I took his word for it since he was a large dealer and he had good feedback. Well i opened it today and was dissapointed. Some had stains many were worn. Worse was number 73 had a large crease goin godwn the whole length of the comic. I wanted to check with you guys to make sure i am not being to critical of the comic before i start complaining.

893frustrated.gif

CRAPPYCOMIC3.jpg

CRAPPYCOMIC.jpg

CRAPPYCOMIC4.jpg

CRAPPYCOMIC2.jpg

i wish i had a scanner as these picture do not do it justice. There asre several creases and stainds. Thanks for your ratings!

foreheadslap.gif

The auction you post to the link to says the books are Very Fine to Near Mint, which is not the same thing you say by Very Fine/Near Mint. Big distinction in grades.

The X-Factor 73 that you show with the crease would not fit in either category though, maybe Fine condition.

If you paid via paypal, I think you are allowed to reverse the charges because the comics were not as described. Are the rest of them at least VF?

If so, then you really only have a problem with the 73. Also, I don't think I would consider paying a buck a piece for any modern lot that would have at least some VF's in it. (But that's just me).

Another solution, is to email the seller and ask for a discount for only the copies that don't measure up to at least a VF.

Another solution, is to send the comics back for a refund.

(Ive listed them in the order of preference.)

I just don't think it would be a big deal for a seller to credit a few dollars to keep a buyer happy.

Most sellers will/should work with you on occasion for a solution you can both live with. grin.gif

Well, you got dicked. That's for sure. I'd be a bit pissed. You paid $13 for 5 VF moderns and 1 FN-. I wouldn't hesitate to email this guy back and politely ask him to make good on them. Ask for a refund of the purchase price plus your shipping. There are few things I hate worse than paying $3.95 to look at someone's misgraded books.

If he refuses to work with you I would neg him.

WELCOME to the boards!

I'm sorry for your experiences. I would explore refunds and or returns.

You might find better deals on the marketplace boards here. I had some that I had listed for .50 and 1.00 as have others.

Couple of points based on my experiences on eBay:

If you're picking up non-key moderns, I've found that sellers with feedback in the thousands rarely have time to answer your emails or send you larger scans. Not really their fault as they probably have hundreds of items up for sale, like your seller has.

Second, and not sure where you live, but have you tried visiting a few of your LCS to search out those books? If you have and were unsuccessful with the LCS's, do you mind waiting for the next convention?

If you're like me, then you don't want to wait and if you see that it's available on eBay, you snatch it up. I've learned the hard way to be a bit more patient. Rule of thumb for me, if the seller does not reply to your email, then he's not worth buying from.