• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is being a geek the hip thing to do?

47 posts in this topic

I guess you could call biting the head off a live chicken "strikingly odd". That's what circus geeks actually "performed" in the sideshow tents.

Looking at the etymology of the words, in the early 20th century "geek" was used to refer to circus performers who were strikingly odd in the way they looked or acted,

It's very hip to be a "geek" right now. Tons of people (ladies mainly!) are suddenly "hardcore" comic /gaming fans, despite never reading a comic or playing a video game before. But like all trends this will die down soon.

It's very hip to be a "geek" right now. Tons of people (ladies mainly!) are suddenly "hardcore" comic /gaming fans, despite never reading a comic or playing a video game before. But like all trends this will die down soon.

I still think eventually in the future that the majority of comic book readers will be females(in 5 to 10 years),as more and more 18-34 year old males continue to abandon comic books for videogames. This will change the dynamics quite considerably in our or your lcs.

Any thoughts? hm

I still think eventually in the future that the majority of comic book readers will be females(in 5 to 10 years),as more and more 18-34 year old males continue to abandon comic books for videogames. This will change the dynamics quite considerably in our or your lcs.

Any thoughts? hm

Yeah, you're talking bollocks.

Any thoughts? hm

I dunno.

Walking Dead and manga style comics are huge with the female audience.

I don`t really see superhero comics dominating in 5 years like they do now.

Any thoughts? hm

I've got no reason to think that the abandoning of comics for video games is particular to men--women who would otherwise have gotten into comics circa late-20th century get into video games these days just as men do.

Any thoughts? hm

I've got no reason to think that the abandoning of comics for video games is particular to men--women who would otherwise have gotten into comics circa late-20th century get into video games these days just as men do.

And video games have been around for 20+ years without there being any noticeable shift in demographics - other than there being less readers overall.